Author Topic: 12,000 miles done..  (Read 3170 times)

gearoidmuar

12,000 miles done..
« on: May 21, 2012, 05:39:41 pm »
I got a Thorn Raven Tour in September 2010 and on it I've now done 12000 miles. I've three other working bikes but ride this one most.
I've done 6 tours on it, Cork to Wesport Co.Mayo, Lejog, Edinburgh to Whitehaven and Coast to Coast, Lisbon to Barcelona, Western Brittany and most recently a 6 day tour of Brittany.
I started with 40 x 16 but now use 42 x 15. That's perfect for me. I've reversed the first and now the second sprockets. I'm on a second chainwheel. Reversing them is pointless.
It's never let me down. I had a bit of skipping before oil changes but nothing bothersome. I get the very odd bit of grinding when change doesn't complete without a tweak of the changer. The original Swissstop blue blocks are still on the thing but will shortly be in need of change. I haven't had to change the internal wire and changing is as smooth as ever.

What do I think of the hub? Well, I think it's not as good as is claimed. It's a good bit better than that for touring. It's bloody brilliant in hilly terrain. I still get noise in 456 and 7, seven being loudest, but after initial irritation and the feeling that it was slowing me down, I'm now totally sure it isn't and I hardly notice it. Another huge benefit for me is that the rear wheel is so strong (I'm nearly 16 st and tour with 2 stone of luggage) that I haven't had to touch it.

So, 11 out of 10
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 07:14:40 am by gearoidmuar »

wheezy

Re: 12,000 miles done..
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 05:57:18 pm »
Outstanding!

D'you reckon you've reached the point where it's starting to pay for itself financially? Would a derailleur set-up still be going strong?

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 05:57:43 pm »
Hi gearoid!

First as a guest and then as a member, I've followed your posts on this bike since September 17, 2009, just a couple weeks after you got the bike.

You've been through a lot together over 12,000 (!) miles, and it is real-world reports like yours that are reassuring to those of us who do not yet own Rohloff hubs and wonder about the experience over time.

Thanks so much for your impressions, and the periodic progress reports and tips (clothespins, yeah!) along the way; they're surely a help. I'm so glad all continues to work well for you, and congratulations on a wonderful cycling feat; what an accomplishment!

May your next 12,000 miles be just as happy, with many safe and fun rides along the way!

All the best,

Dan.

Recumbentrohloff

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 07:17:47 pm »
My Rohloff has now done a similar mileage (11,000 approx) in three years but on a recumbent machine. Only now am I beginning to appreciate what a great piece of engineering it represents! I've just fitted the third chain and replaced the rear sprocket but the hub seems to be at it's best -- finally run-in! Apart from an annual oil change I've never touched it and it's been through numerous floods and fords!

gearoidmuar

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 07:22:15 am »
Outstanding!

D'you reckon you've reached the point where it's starting to pay for itself financially? Would a derailleur set-up still be going strong?

Well you have to relate its cost to the cost of a reasonable standard setup with block, chains, chainrings and derailleurs. I'm sure that it will overtake it if it hasn't done so already but even if it didn't, it is just hugely worth it if you tour.

I remember on the first horrendous day of our Barcelona Lisbon tour (started south of Barca in Tortosa where we went by train) having to do 5,500 ft. and fifty odd miles in the heat, starting at 1.30pm, how I just click click clicked my way up the climbs while my friend Mick ground, crunched and effed his way up them. We are exactly equal athletes, or non-athletes rather, but now I had a batman, name of Rohloff. It was bloody brilliant.
I was cycling in very hilly terrain last week, in the middle of Brittany around Mur-de-Bretagne, le Faouet etc., and it was just a pleasure to ease my way up the hills in exactly the right gear all the way.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 01:57:31 pm »
I was cycling in very hilly terrain last week, in the middle of Brittany around Mur-de-Bretagne, le Faouet etc., and it was just a pleasure to ease my way up the hills in exactly the right gear all the way.

Yeah, we have roads around where I live that just go up and down, like 50 yards steeply up then 50 yards steeply down. It is so quick and easy with the Rohloff to switch from a very high gear to a very low gear and then back again. I can keep applying smooth power to the pedals despite the roller-coaster terrain, and it doesn't even tax my poor brain which functions even worse at the end of a long ride.

wheezy

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 06:07:16 pm »
I'm sure that it will overtake it if it hasn't done so already but even if it didn't, it is just hugely worth it if you tour.

I go mountain biking with mine, and the mileage is a lot less. From the damage and wear I see around me on the derailleur bikes, though, I'm inclined to think it'll pay for itself sooner rather than later. I just imagine it takes longer on the road.