Author Topic: When to reverse a sproket ?  (Read 2338 times)

AndrewC

When to reverse a sproket ?
« on: May 27, 2012, 01:30:11 pm »
I've had my Nomad for 5 years now.  I've never kept a log of the mileage I've done on it.

The sprocket has never been removed,  I'm shortly going to do this as part of a major service prior to a big tour.   

Is it time to reverse this ?  If I do so I'd assume I need a new chain as well ?

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: When to reverse a sproket ?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 04:12:15 pm »
Hi Andrew!

Your photo linked from Flickr isn't showing up here (just a message saying it is no longer available).

You may wish to try uploading the photo directly with your post. To do so, just click on "Additional Options" in the lower-left when making a post, then on "Browse" and go to where the photo is stored on your computer. Presto! It'll appear below your post and will stay with it, since it is co-hosted.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Dan.

Recumbentrohloff

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 05:28:25 pm »
I've had my Nomad for 5 years now.  I've never kept a log of the mileage I've done on it.

The sprocket has never been removed,  I'm shortly going to do this as part of a major service prior to a big tour.   

Is it time to reverse this ?  If I do so I'd assume I need a new chain as well ?

From my own experience with various bikes- including my Rohloff equipped recumbent- I would strongly suggest replacing the chain at the same time as reversing or replacing the rear sprocket-- particularly before a long tour! I once made the mistake of fitting a new chain to my Brompton without changing the rear sprocket and the bike was almost unrideable (the chain kept "skipping" at the rear)

rualexander

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 06:18:29 pm »
I would say you don't really need to turn that sprocket yet, there is still a fair bit of life left in it as it is. However it might be worth having a go at taking it off anyway just to be sure you can get it off when you need to, some folk have had a bother removing the sprocket due to tightness.
Also have a look at this thread : http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=2818.0 where you will see a couple of examples of worn sprockets.