Author Topic: Versatile SKS Bottle Cage Quick-Release Mount System  (Read 4824 times)

Andre Jute

Versatile SKS Bottle Cage Quick-Release Mount System
« on: May 11, 2012, 06:18:58 am »
I don't know if a bottle cage adapter is luggage but there didn't seem to be another place to put it. This one is particularly useful, in that it fits an upright tube of any size and has a quick release (maybe useful to roadies).

Pic above from CRC, where I got mine. SJS doesn't seem to stock it.

Fitted to my bike; notice that it doesn't quite look like the one in the advertisement:

It is held on the bike by friction in the over centre catch which consists of the nearer half of the body of the adapter; put your finger behind the round bit and it comes off. But it seems sturdy enough with a full water bottle; I rode through some potholes, no effect, and after ten miles of my rough lanes the bottle had not moved any closer to the point of the rack I was measuring from. It works.

That bottle cage is the only thing carbon on my bike. It is not only bling, but an ironic comment (it's not a lightweight bike...).

Andre Jute
http://coolmainpress.com/andrejute.html

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Versatile SKS Bottle Cage Quick-Release Mount System
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 06:54:58 am »
Thanks for this, Andre; it certainly seems to do the job and being removable, might be just the thing for occasional longer tours, especially if someone doesn't normally take extra water.

I know I always welcome methods for carrying additional water. It is always an issue on my day rides and particularly critical on long, dry tours.

This mount has also allowed you to choose an interesting location for the bottle; I could envision another mirrored slightly above or below it on the opposite side, doubling capacity. Put a Zefal Magnum 1-liter bottle in each, and you'd have some serious capacity if needed.

Lovely-looking weather with nice sunshine for the photo. The motion-activated alarm blends in nicely as well.

Lightweight carbon bling on a heavy bike? Check! Mine appears in the form of an M:Part carbon chainstay protector. Did its job on fast, rough downhills Monday.

Nice find, Andre!

Best,

Dan, "still mightily impressed by your Kranich's coach-lining"

Andre Jute

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 05:23:45 pm »
That's the motion alarm you recommended, Dan; thanks again. It is mounted on the seat post right up under the seat, so that two of the buttons are obscured, just another small irritation and delay to a thief in a whole array to unbalance him before he even works out that the main barriers are elsewhere.

About the SKS adapter, it would be even more useful if it had a swivel so that it could be used on a handlebar or other horizontal bar. Still, it will also work on diagonals, like the down tube. But it's surprising how many bikes don't have the down tube available for circumferential tighteners, for fear of crushing cables and tubes. For obvious reasons I'm not too keen on in-tube cabling on steel bikes...

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 05:42:39 pm »
...it would be even more useful if it had a swivel so that it could be used on a handlebar or other horizontal bar...
Andre, might it be possible to "stack" one of these on your SKS mount to achieve a swiveled position?
http://www.topeak.com/products/Bottle-Cages/X-15Adapter

Perhaps one of these would work on the 'bars; I see it can be oriented either vertically or horizontally, depending on need.
http://www.topeak.com/products/Bottle-Cages/cagemount

Topeak's innovative solutions are very helpful for those who need to carry water in nonstandard locations or for those whose bikes lack mounts where needed.

For obvious reasons I'm not too keen on in-tube cabling on steel bikes...
Heartily agreed, though I managed to get it working on my tandem, which has all-internal cabling for the whole run to both derailleurs. Did it by weather sealing the top entry and leaving the bottom open to drain/air. Really no alternative, and it has worked well and completely rust-free internally so far after 23 years (I can take out the front eccentric and rear BB and see any problems as they develop). No rattles and smooth shifting, thanks to the full-run low-friction liner I installed. Internal cable runs are generally best avoided on steel bikes.

Best,

Dan.