Author Topic: 620L Nomad  (Read 1608 times)

macspud

620L Nomad
« on: May 09, 2012, 08:46:52 pm »
Hello All,

Does anybody own or have riding experience of the beast that is the Thorn Nomad 620L.

I am still on the lookout for a second hand one (do they ever get sold?) whilst saving for a new one.

I have never seen any reports or reviews of a Nomad of this size and would appreciate any comments from whose with experience of one.

Regards,

Iain.

E-wan

Re: 620L Nomad
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 09:48:04 pm »
just posted this in another thread but thought it might be of interest to you  so reposting here

I'm 6'1 and have a 620L nomad MK2 I am using comfort bars which I like and don't find the reach to long with an 80mm-100mm stem.  I may try a longer one in a bit to slow down the handling for steep climbs.  SJS recommended that if I wanted the 620L I could make the reach slightly shorter by using the comfert bars.

I find it really good both on and off road but the long wheelebase takes some getting used to if you are used to a MTB.

A main consideration for me in getting the 620L was the longer chain stays which allow me to have my paniers further forward, which I need for size 12 shoes and overshoes.  Never seen any bike with better heal clerance for panniers than this.

I got mine delevered as a return trip to SJS would have been about £100 bit they may have one you could test ride

Ewan

macspud

Re: 620L Nomad
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 01:59:27 pm »
Hello Ewan,

Thanks for the reply.

I am 6'5" with 36" inside leg so this is the bike for me, one of the things I was concerned about was the reach being too long with virtual top tube being 635mm, so it's good to hear that you don't have problems with it.

I have large feet too, size 13 (UK) so the heal room is a definite plus and I agree with what you said in your other post about the longer chain stays helping with climbing.

I also had problems on my last mountain bike trying to keep the front anywhere near the ground when climbing steep hills of which there are many around where I live in the Highlands.

It would be nice to visit SJSC in Bridgwater to test ride one and I may do though it would be an expensive undertaking as it's nearly 1200 miles return journey.

It would be nice to see some photos if you have some.

Regards,

Iain.