Author Topic: 'four-score years'  (Read 10583 times)

jags

Re: 'four-score years'
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2012, 12:59:20 pm »
ian did you get a new electric wheel fitted love to see pic's of this if possible.
btw whats the story with the guy in cycleez what was the problem in you supplying your own rim,
sounds like he wants to make as much profit as he can on the build. ???

Andre Jute

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2012, 02:42:06 pm »
I think you can assume, Jags, until offered evidence to the contrary, that any electric wheel you're offered in a kit by a British vendor was assembled in China and bought whole by the kit supplier. In fact, several of the suppliers buy kits with all the peripheral controls as well as well as the wheel.

I too would like to see photos of Ian's conversion.

Andre Jute
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 05:04:40 am by Hobbes »

ians

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2012, 05:43:30 pm »
Jags and Andre

I had a couple of email conversations with cyclezee and the guy was very helpful. However, when I asked about who his wheel builder was and what rims were available he said it was simply not possible for me to choose my own rim.  I suspect Andre is correct and the wheel/motor comes bought in, thereby restricting choice.  It seems to make very little difference to the price however. 

It may be a small point for some but it's my bike - the whole point of going with a conversion kit rather than buying a pedelec was so that I can have it exactly as I want.

I visited the branch in Oxford and it was closed (It seems a very small shop - terraced house conversion) - I phoned the Cambridge branch and they were extremely helpful.  I asked about rims and they even asked if I would like to supply my own.  They offer some customisation - choice of battery location, choice and position of throttle (important given Rolhoff shifter).  If I'm not happy then bring it back and they'll tweak it, change things.  So I'm reasonably confident they'll do a good job. 

The bike is in Cambridge right now.  There's a slight delay because their wheelbuilder is in Oxford .....

I hope to collect it towards the end of next week - will post photos.

ian

jags

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2012, 10:02:27 pm »
thanks lads ,look forward to seeing the pic's when i get back from my  tour. ;)

Andre Jute

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2012, 05:30:50 am »
Ian S, I think the pricing would go the other way, up, if you had a wheel built in the UK rather than in China. I bought the whole kit (from a British supplier) and expected to have to rebuild or retune the Chinese wheel, or just cut the motor out and start from scratch (not a waste, as you would be able to measure spoke length and suchlike, important to get right the first time because I import my Sapim Strong spokes from Germany) but it turned out to be exceedingly well-built with an excellent rim, spokes, nipples and a brand name rim band. My problem with the wheel isn't the workmanship or the quality of the components but that it is too narrow for my preferred 60mm Big Apples. (It does fine though with the 47mm Kenda thornproof tyre supplied in the price, which at its lowest inflation is more comfortable than its knobbly appearance would suggest.) -- Andre Jute

jags

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2012, 10:44:25 am »
Andre any chance of some photos ;)

Andre Jute

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2012, 04:14:52 pm »
Andre any chance of some photos ;)

90% of the photos of my electric motor installation saga have been setting on my desktop for months, waiting for me to have time to tidy up the wiring and take the last few photos. Er, yes, before that I had to fit the the BUMM lights that work with a 36V battery, and find a leather container for the controller box, wires, a wallet and a camera to match my leather saddlebag, or paint the supplied  plastic container bike colour... it's a major industrial critical path analysis just planning all the little jobs of such a major change.

Perhaps I should publish my report in parts...

Andre Jute

jags

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2012, 04:23:23 pm »
very good so should be worth the wait .
get them up Andre theres a good lad. ;)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2012, 04:33:54 pm »
Perhaps I should publish my report in parts...
Now you've done it, Andre...opened the oven door before the cake has finished baking!  :D

"Work in progress" is always good! Goes from trial-fit to finished-and-nice as a photographic journey.

Best,

Dan.