Author Topic: Very cheap Trangia multi-fuel burner!  (Read 14168 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Very cheap Trangia multi-fuel burner!
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2012, 04:19:06 am »
Thanks for your own update, Richie; the outcome of your past returns is encouraging. I wrote the company (GearStuff) as well (via Amazon) but no reply as yet Saturday evening; may have to wait till Monday if they're out for the weekend.

UPS should be delivering another two...somethings...come Monday or Tuesday. We'll see what actually comes!

Updates as they become available.

All the best,

Dan.

philb0412

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2012, 04:41:04 am »
Oh dear, I feel responsible for letting everyone know about this offer. My apologies, but as Jim said it was a risk, and this one unfortunately may not have worked out. Fingers crossed, though. 

Thanks for the updates and early warning Dan. An email has been sent, mine have not been shipped yet so hopefully caught it in time. My Grandad's Trangia 25 from the 70's still has plenty of life left in it yet so I won't be needing 3 more burners! I thought I had my stove issues solved when I saw this offer, I will be needing to have a rethink me-thinks.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2012, 04:51:30 am »
Oh, don't worry Phil; no blame should come your way. You acted in good heart and you were kind to let us know of the offer...as-stated, it really did look like a good deal -- enough we each went for it of our own volition.

We all assumed the same risk when we placed our orders and all may yet come out fine. They may have simply flubbed my first order, and all will be fine thereafter.

For what its worth, the Trangia Spirit Stove kit they sent is a nifty thing. It doesn't appear in their catalog or Trangia's but appears to be a reproduction of their early Camping Set, modeled after the old government mountain cook set of the 1950's. It really is neat in a retro sort of way, and I have no doubt it could be passed on intact to one's grandchildren who could then use it through their own adventures well into adulthood. Yes, it is heavy, but pretty cool. I haven't opened the tough shrink-wrap package as I intend to return it, but it was kind of nice to hold a modern interpretation of a camping classic. Looks like this, with the addition of a spirits burner:
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&safe=off&q=trangia+1.5l+cookset&psj=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1320&bih=688&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=9321285767848265218&sa=X&ei=c_SlT8yGNaKjiQLTxsjPAg&ved=0CIMBEPMCMAM

Everything will work out fine, I'm sure. I still thank you for letting us know about such a good deal!

All the best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 04:55:30 am by Danneaux »

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2012, 02:53:06 am »
Ah, yes, what I got when I ordered the X2 multifuel burner was an Open Spirit Stove with pot and pan, Trangia item number 162423 from their camping/scouting line:

http://www.trangia.se/english/2930.camping+scouting_sets.html

I'll contact the seller and see if they'll take any responsibility.

richie thornger

• Batman to Robben
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2012, 06:58:32 am »
I spoke to  Kortny at GearStuff via email yesterday. They have accepted that the wording was confusing.
Unfortunately mine has been shipped but I have been told I will get a refund including return postage.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2012, 07:08:12 am »
Hi All,

Just turned on the computer after an extremely taxing high-mountain 200km with a lot of single-track and...a bear spotting at very close range and an attack by two pit-bulls (came out unscathed, but it was very close indeed).

Got home to find the other two somethings had arrived (haven't opened them yet). I heard from a very nice Samantha at GearStuff who volunteered profuse apologies for the glitch and had offered a free return-shipping coupon. I am hopeful the other two will go the same way. Very heartening response.

G'night all; time to hit the bed, more tomorrow,

Dan.

il padrone

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2012, 11:15:15 am »
I spoke to  Kortny at GearStuff via email yesterday. They have accepted that the wording was confusing.
What??

Confusing??

That is a piece of outright false advertising is what it was. I'd take this to a nice consumer product agency. It is clearly stated (with photo) as a Trangia X2 multi-fuel stove - most certainly not what you recieved. This GearStuff crowd are a bunch of pirates IMHO.

philb0412

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2012, 03:48:03 pm »
Well, they claimed 'The error occurred through Amazon. We have a list of products that are listed on Amazon. Unfortunately the 4 distributors that we work with got tied into one another along the lines when the items were being listed on the Amazon website. We did not mean for this to happen intentionally and I apologize for that.', after I had been hinting that there was some form of devious malpractice.

I am getting to the keep 3 bloomin' stoves I bought and being refunded the price of the items. So I spent £46 on postage. Not too bad a resolution in the end.

So does anybody in England need any Trangia spares?

Has anybody here actually used the X2? I am unsure whether to buy one a full whack, buy a different multi-fuel burner and leave the hefty Trangia at home or try and cook in Asia attempting to find alcohol to burn regularly.

Lemming

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2012, 06:45:44 pm »
Yes, I have (and have used) the X2, but in a Clikstand T2G (http://www.clikstand.com/p_clikstands.html) rather than a Trangia, to save rather a lot of weight and bulk.
As I wrote above, it is a slightly modified Primus Multifuel and it performs very well indeed.

My current favorite is the Primus Omnilite Ti, as it is both lighter and smaller (and unfortunately expensive) with an Evernew pot (http://www.evernewamerica.com/ECA252.htm) pot.  I normally use gas for the convenience factor, but taking the pump/fuel bottle is a good insurance policy when you can't find any gas cannisters.
The Primus Express Lander is a cheaper gas/petrol/kero option, which may be worth a look.

il padrone

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2012, 11:14:55 am »
Has anybody here actually used the X2? I am unsure whether to buy one a full whack, buy a different multi-fuel burner and leave the hefty Trangia at home or try and cook in Asia attempting to find alcohol to burn regularly.

http://www.mark-ju.net/juliette/meths.htm

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2012, 09:53:27 pm »
I sent a note about my order to GearStuff, via Amazon, & got a polite note back from Kortny who said the listing was messed up & offered a return and refund. So I printed out the return label and dropped the box at a UPS place today.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2012, 12:41:46 am »
I got my refund today!

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2012, 03:03:36 am »
There's a bit more to the story. I didn't have a Trangia alcohol stove when I ordered that multi-fuel burner that was such a bargain. I noticed that GearStuff was selling the 27-7 set for $88 which looked like a good deal, so I ordered that too. The right item got delivered with that order! Now, though, their price is up to $102!

I have been reading Into the Silence by Wade Davis, about Mallory and Everest. I just finished the chapter on the 1921 expedition. The only stove they could get to work up at 23,000 feet or so was their alcohol stove! They just got a bit of tea or broth out of it, nowhere near enough for adequate hydration. They were really pushing themselves to the limit!

So now I am all inspired to get my new alcohol stove out on some big adventure or other!

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2012, 03:05:17 am »
I got my refund today!
Yaayyyyyy, Jim! Thanks for the update!

I just printed out my two cost-free return labels and will put them on the boxes and drop them off for shipment tomorrow.

Adventure awaits, Jim! (and we want to hear all about it when it happens!) Very interesting book, indeed.

Best,

Dan.

philb0412

« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2012, 10:58:44 am »
Sweet, I got a full refund. I thought I was going to have to fork out for the postage. And I get to keep the burners too.