Author Topic: Very cheap Trangia multi-fuel burner!  (Read 14058 times)

philb0412

Very cheap Trangia multi-fuel burner!
« on: May 02, 2012, 04:28:28 pm »
Hello all, I didn't know where to post this; but I had to let you all know how cheap the Trangia X2 burner is on amazon.com. $30!!! I have been looking at getting one in England, I got a steal at £55 with postage, but would be even cheaper if you live in the states.

I am not associated with this sale at all, just want to pass on a bargain.

http://www.amazon.com/Trangia-X2-MULTIFUEL-BURNER/dp/B000S0FIIQ/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1335972298&sr=1-1-catcorr

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Very cheap Trangia multi-fuel burner!
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 05:30:20 pm »
Thank you very much for the posting, Phil; I have ordered one and it is on the way as well. Due May 8-11 at my Pacific NW US address, it cost me USD$29.99 plus USD$11.41 for standard (cheapest) shipping and handling, totaling USD$41.40 delivered.

It is important to note for others, this multifuel X2 stove burns a variety of fuels (gas, petrol, diesel and kerosene) by changing the included jet sizes, and is intended to work with a Trangia cookset in place of the usual alcohol burner. According to the Trangia website ( http://www.trangia.se/english/2941.news_from_trangia.html ), it is supposed to include 1 burner, 1 pump, 1 fuel bottle 0,6 l, 1 service key, 2 jet nipples, 1 cover. Weight 525 g The Amazon description matches.

NOTE: If used alone, a pot-stand is needed, as well as a windscreen/heatshield, else the fuel bottle can overheat with tragic results (the Tangia cook kit accomplishes both these ends automatically; these items are needed if you don't use the Trangia cook kit. These items can be made with a bit of ingenuity or you may already have them.

It is a phenomenal deal so long as one understands they need either a Trangia cookset /or/ a pot holder and windscreen to use it, 'cos it's not a complete solution as advertised. Kinda obvious when you think about it, but it seemed wise to point it out. I know I develop temporary selective blindness when I see such a deal, so I force myself to go back and research it before I press the "Buy" button.

All the best, and thanks again, Phil, for pointing out such a wonderful deal.

Best,

Dan.

richie thornger

• Batman to Robben
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 05:32:11 pm »
Cheers Phil,
Postage was outrageous so I ordered two for £81.50
It will be interesting to see if
A. This is a web error and they refuse to honour it... and....
B. How much customs decide to sting us for.
Fingers crossed eh.
I already own a Primus multifuel but at that price I had to have it.
Thanks a lot. I'll buy you a pint if they actually arrive:)
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy

philb0412

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 06:04:40 pm »
Yeah I like your thinking, I have just ordered 3 and tried to cancel the one I ordered, makes sense to get 3 for 2. With 2 destined for ebay.

macspud

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 08:08:03 pm »
Wow, that is a good deal especially considering they're £142 on amazon.co.uk, great spot and thanks for passing it on.

Lemming

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 09:15:43 pm »
It's the old Optimus Nova Trangia insert shown on the Amazon site, not the current X2 which is a modified Primus Multifuel.

Nothing wrong at all with the Nova, but it will only burn petrol or kero, not gas cannisters - it's only the X2 that can do that.

(Yes, I am a stove spotter and have far too many of them........)

« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 09:17:44 pm by Lemming »

richie thornger

• Batman to Robben
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 09:28:35 am »
Hi Lemming, so just to be sure.
Are you saying that the advert is showing a different picture to what it's advertising?

FWIW I have the Primus Omnifuel because of exactly the gas cannister situation you mention.

Lemming

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 05:38:28 pm »
Yes - the picture shown on the Amazon site is the Optimus Nova.
Look at the fold-over control 'handle' and the connection at the fuel bottle and compare to the X2 (http://www.trangia.se/english/2917.trangia_accessories.html)

Text states X2, but the picture is not of an X2 - and given the price, getting rid of old stock seems reasonable.

It is still an incredible bargain, but it is firmly liquid fuel only!

richie thornger

• Batman to Robben
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 05:53:06 pm »
OK, I can live with that:)
as you are a stove hoarder perhaps you could answer me this?
In Turkey they only use small sealed cannisters for everything, I'm wondering if you know of such a device/contraption that could adapt my Primus Omnifuel to use these cannisters?
I found a Chinese guy on ebay selling an adapter to use the long butane cans with my omnifuel. It's a bit leaky if you don't do it up in a certain way! That has singed the odd hair now and again but great in an emergency when all you can find is long butane can use in a blowtorch:)

rualexander

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2012, 06:07:42 pm »
Yes - the picture shown on the Amazon site is the Optimus Nova.
Look at the fold-over control 'handle' and the connection at the fuel bottle and compare to the X2 (http://www.trangia.se/english/2917.trangia_accessories.html)

Text states X2, but the picture is not of an X2 - and given the price, getting rid of old stock seems reasonable.

It is still an incredible bargain, but it is firmly liquid fuel only!
If that is the case then the description is wrong too where it refers to two jet nipples. My Trangia multi fuel burner is the liquid only version about three years old and only has one fuel jet for all fuels.

Lemming

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2012, 06:36:17 pm »
If they are the Camping Gaz style pierceable cannisters, you can use something like this: http://www.hitchnhike.co.uk/acatalog/edelrid_c206_puncture_cartridge_adapter.html

I am fairly sure that the older versions of the Nova had different jets for different fuels (but it is well over three years ago!).  In any case, it does not change the fact that the picture on the Amazon site is of an Optimus stove!

richie thornger

• Batman to Robben
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2012, 07:34:18 pm »
That's exactly what I'm after. I knew someone would have invented one. Superb.
Cheers

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2012, 10:15:10 pm »
Uh-oh. Heads-up...

UPS just rang the doorbell and delivered a box from "Warehouse" in Salt Lake City, UT. I opened it, and it turns out to be...

A Trangia Spirit stove, 1.5l saucepan, and fry pan and pot holder, all packed in a plastic envelope with Trangia card attached.

No ID in the box, nothing on the return address except "Warehouse" and the SLC address.

I presume this is the first of the three "multifuel X2 stoves" I ordered (one for me, and after reflection, two more for eBay resale).

I know I haven't ordered anything Trangia related otherwise!

The cookset is nice enough, but weighs a ton at 660g, compared to the 21.26g of the homemade penny stove I carry in my Pocket Kitchen, which complete with fuel takes up a fraction of the space and weighs in at only 400g.

The invoice was contained in a plastic envelope taped to the box. It says "Sold" with a sales number, by "Kayton Company, NBS", and lists "Item No. 327790, Spirit Stove Cookset, Each", and a quantity ordered of 1 and shipped, 1. Referenced under my shipping address is "Gearstuff.com", so yes, this is the company I ordered the Trangia burner from.

Plainly, the wrong item was shipped, by accident or knowingly. It seems like a pretty big mistake to make...after all, this looks like a cookset when it is "supposed" to look like a fuel bottle and burner. Of course, I've got two more coming by separate order/shipment, but who knows what is coming?!?

I'm figuring being US-based and located, mine got delivered sooner than those sold to UK residents. I'll have to back-burner this today as I'm already swamped with tasks, but I've got to get it addressed before the weekend is over.  <grumble>  All this takes from time allocated to Sherpa-riding and he wants to go gambol on mountain trails, looking for bear and such in the woods.

Best,

Dan.

[EDIT: About two seconds after making this post, I received an email from Amazon.com saying the other two Trangia X2 burners have shipped (same wording as the email saying this one had shipped (not)]. Sigh. I'm guessing two more spirit cooksets are coming, and no burners.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 04:15:50 am by Danneaux »

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2012, 11:54:44 pm »
Ach, that fine line between "too good to pass up" and "too good to be true"! I confess: I, too, could not resist biting that tempting bait! But I have not got any kind of ship notice from Amazon yet. Who knows?! Anyway, I will post my experience as it unfolds!

I hope you manage to undo the damage without too much added pain, Dan!

richie thornger

• Batman to Robben
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2012, 07:54:18 am »
Cheers for the notice on that Dan. I've hit off a mail to gear stuff through the Amazon site as mine is showing as not despatched.
I have asked them to check if it's a web error.
I usually find these things have not been done on purpose but rather a link on the front page is showing something else on the packing order.
That's not to say that some companies don't hide behind that, but I have never had any problems rectifying an order.
Obviously it does eat in to your time.
I always believe bargains usually cost time or risk vs paying the full whack .
I'm a gambling man so am always happy to have a punt:)