Author Topic: After Nutty Nuns  (Read 3063 times)

Erudin

After Nutty Nuns
« on: May 01, 2012, 04:27:55 am »
My Thorn Audax back home drying out after an epic Nutty Nuns 200km Audax last Sunday. Rode through flooded roads (deep enough to submerge the front mech, felt like a paddle steamer riding through them), negotiated roads closed by police with fallen trees and powers lines being cleared, gusting wind and relentless freezing rain, and of course a puncture near the end to fix with numb fingers. GPS conked out half way through but my Thorn kept going and got me to the finish where I was rewarded with beans on toast, tea and cake. Will clean, fit new bottom bracket, re-grease hubs, fit new brake blocks/cables and put it all back together for a hopefully drier ride this Sunday.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 04:05:39 am by Erudin »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: After Nutty Nuns
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 04:57:46 am »
Goodness, Erudin!

The bike looks like the Happy Warrior compared to the photos here: http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=2315.msg12948#msg12948

Always good to see a working bike worked hard, and well-cared for by the sound of it (don't forget to check the pedal bearings as well).

Epic! And very well-done. Congratulations on the ride, and may you have many more, as adventurous and -- hopefully! -- successful and happy.

All the best,

Dan. (who very much enjoyed reading your ride report)

Cambirder

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 09:27:13 am »
That ride sounds even worse than the Witham audax rides the same day. Did not have any trees down but we had plenty of water hazards to negotiate, including peddling through some deep stuff under a railway bridge near the end of the ride.

As the rear hub got a good soaking going through that I've been thinking of bringing the 5k service forward (I've just hit 4k since I got it in September)

jags

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 02:45:17 pm »
man those brake blocks look like they got a really hard time  :o
were they like that when you started that ride, cant be good for the rims.
sounds like a hard day in the saddle but glad you made it ok. ;)

Relayer

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 03:14:54 pm »
Horrendous weather you guys are having down there, there was a guy on the news last night cycling with wellies on, but he had to stop to empty them out too.

Erudin

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 06:20:03 pm »
man those brake blocks look like they got a really hard time  :o
were they like that when you started that ride, cant be good for the rims...

I had just fitted them prior to the Sherborne Amble 166km on the 22nd of April, was amazed how quickly they wore down, I had to stop and tighten the cables at one point as adjusters were unscrewed as far as they would go, will pack some spare pads on wet rides in future. Some anodising wore off the rims. Nice sunny afternoon today, got bike fixed up with new brake block and bottom bracket. Trying some Aztec road brake blocks recommended by my LBS rather than the Tiagra I normally use. Put Sputnik/LX wheels back on for now, will fix the Chrina/LX wheels I used for the audax tomorrow.

Update:

Tackled the wheels today, the seals on the LX hubs did a great job keeping water out, have repacked with fresh grease, and fixed the slow puncture on the rear wheel.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 01:20:15 pm by Erudin »