Author Topic: Abus Amparo 4850 Frame Lock  (Read 25589 times)

JimK

• Interdependent Science
Re: Abus Amparo 4850 Frame Lock
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2012, 03:41:09 am »
yeah, how to pop open that plastic cover is still a bit baffling. The whole bike is that way, actually. How to remove the chain case! But I am going to get this stuff figured out! Replacing the ring lock sounds like a fun project. I would certainly hate to have that bike disappear on me!

Thanks for the tips, Dan - very helpful!

Andre Jute

« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2012, 10:47:19 pm »
Dan, the promised link did't arrive; it may be that it was lost in the volume of mail passing here. Please send again as I am most interested.

The one way I know of defeating the lock depends on having a very specific component that one wouldn't expect to find anywhere in the US, and that I didn't actually expect to find in Ireland either. What you're talking about must be something entirely different.

Better informed than bikeless!

Andre Jute

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2012, 01:13:43 am »
No problem with a resend, Andre; PM'd and emailed. Any additional questions, just let me know and I'll be glad to amplify. This is much the same technique I used on my friend's and unfortunately it was most effective. Shockingly so.

All the best,

Dan.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2012, 09:37:19 pm »
Hi All!

I did it! I managed to free up space for the ring-lock on my Sherpa *and* still use my Zefal HPX pump. See:
http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=3896.msg19454#msg19454
...and...
http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=1944.msg9015#msg9015

Thanks so much for the help. Next, I'll place an order for the appropriate ring-lock and off I go. Updates as available.

Again, thanks so very much for the help and assistance to patient JimK, who is a star in helping with his photos and measurements.

All the best,

Dan. (who doesn't give up on finding solutions)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 10:05:42 pm by Danneaux »

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2012, 12:01:55 pm »
Very cool. Dan! This geometry really gets intricate! The convenience of the ring-lock is quite valuable and worth some fuss - it's some quick stop when it's just too much trouble to pull a lock out of the bag, that's a danger worth avoiding!

Andre Jute

« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2012, 01:48:07 pm »
The convenience of the ring-lock is quite valuable and worth some fuss - it's some quick stop when it's just too much trouble to pull a lock out of the bag, that's a danger worth avoiding!

That's definitely the key element in practical bike security, that it must be almost more bother not to use it than to use it. U=locks lose out badly on this aspect, and a ringlock scores big, especially the sort that already has the key in, waiting for you to lock it and take the key away with you. -- Andre Jute

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2012, 09:23:27 am »
Hi All!

I've got a ring-lock on Sherpa, success at last!

For details and photos, see: http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=1944.msg19741#msg19741

I simply love the thing, and if I keep playing with it at the present rate, it will be worn out by summer's end.

Thanks again to everyone whose kind assistance and thoughts helped make this possible.

Best,

Dan. ("Lock 'n' load" has a whole new meaning 'round here...)