Author Topic: The best and the lightest multitool -- in praise of Topeak's Toolbar  (Read 5072 times)

Andre Jute

A post by In4 in Muppets forum, about a Topeak Peak DX2 pump that he picked up cheap, and my response that it's the best of the mini pumps, reminds me that Topeak also makes something else I consider the best of the best.

The Topeak Toolbar is the best and the lightest of the multitools on the market. My Dutch friend Lou Holtman suggests that it isn't more popular with cyclists because it is too small and too light: they think it is a toy. But it is a most competent complete travelling toolkit which weighs 68 grams and hangs on your keyring. You can roll up a glueless Park tube patch and put it inside with the hex bits, and you're ready to go.

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/topeak-topeak-toolbar-compact-multi-function-tool-prod16114/

It's not a toy. I bought mine when the Toolbar first came out, probably a decade ago, and have used it on several bikes, and once left it at an LBS who used it for a couple of months (a marvel that he didn't lose the bits...) until I came in again and said, "Hey, that's my missing Toolbar."

Andre Jute
http://coolmainpress.com/BICYCLING.html

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Thanks for calling this to our collective attention, Andre!

It is a real little beauty, alright, especially when one considers its small size. I see there are numerous thoughtful small touches, including a hex cutout in one of the tire levers so it can be used in opposition to the main bit driver, or for close-quarters work. I like the tilting, magnetic drive head, and the tire levers are a nice addition as well.

Do the extra bits ride in the separate carrier, or do those also store in the main body? I notice there is a small slit-ring on it, so I presume it could also be attached to the ring on the main tool or to the same keychain holding the main tool.

I love the concept of multitools, and have to confess to owning too many, if that is possible. My favorite cycling multi-tool is an old one by Performance bike that includes a couple very nice and wide glass-reinforced nylon tire levers and a chain tool; the lot unsnaps to work in opposition. It is not the lightest, but is so versatile I leave it in my underseat bag, where it lives with the spare tube and tire patches and spare mini-pump (Crank Bros with switchable hi-volume/hi-pressure switch. It's worked great for many years, and I *always* carry a spare pump in the back-of-beyond). The Performance 21-function multitool covers most tasks so admirably I rarely have to dip into the reserve tool supply in the pannier toolbag. Iit is larger than the Topeak, but I still like it, as the tools all lock in place and it has a wide range.

I'll keep this one by Topeak in mind, it really is nice and well-conceived. They do have very nice, well-designed tools and related products that are often very innovative or just that little bit better conceived than the competition's offerings.

Best,

Dan.

Andre Jute

The Topeak Toolbar carries five bits in the slots inside, and I normally carry a sixth, a Torx T20 bit by Witte, a fine German supplier, for Rohloff use, just lying loose in the body of the Toolbar. Spare bits (there are several more supplied than will fit, or are required on my bike, which is designed from the ground up to use the minimum number of tools) are carried in the rubber/plastic holder, which can be carried on the Toolbar or on a keyring. Mine lies at home in the bottom of a toolbox.

In addition I carry an 8x10mm open-ended wrench, and that's the toolkit, which does for Rohloff emergency gear changing in case a cable breaks. In fact, I have an 8mm hex drive socket from another kit that will do the same job, but it's too bulky to fit inside the tiny Toolbar, yet too small to carry easily without losing it, so I carry the open wrench instead. The wrench is small and reasonably light, from a Draper bicycle tool roll. You can get the same effect by buying a good quality brake wrench and grinding it flat. (Park sells an 8x10 open wrench but it appears to be punched from flat steel; a piece of overpriced rubbish compared to the Draper item which will last a lifetime.)

On a world tour, of course, or even a tour less ambitious but further from a taxi than we Irish can ever venture on our small island, I wouldn't take the Toolbar, but a tool with all the bits firmly attached to the spine so as to be larger and easily recovered if dropped, indeed less likely to be dropped.

Andre Jute
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 09:56:55 pm by Hobbes »

richie thornger

• Batman to Robben
Thanks so much for the recommendation. I immediately went and got one. £11 inc postage from ebay.
I think I must have used it every day since! I keep it on me all the time.
It was the swivelling head that got me interested and it has certainly exceeded expectations.
Top find!
Cheers
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy

Andre Jute

Glad to help, Richie. I have a nail clipper that's heavier than the Toolbar!

in4

What did I start LOL ! I'll have to have one of those now. Its practical qualities aside I do so appreciate something that is designed well and is aesthetically pleasing too. Perhaps this next observation amounts to heresy here but, sticking with the the design thread: I was admiring these bikes made by Woodrup in Leeds. Don't they just look wonderful and probably perform equally well. http://www.flickr.com/photos/woodrup_cycles/ I was intrigued by how they got the belt drive on and off; neat looking solution. Personally I'm still inclined towards a chain but Sarah Outen has whizzed across to Japan on a belt-driven Santos so they do work. Take a look: http://www.sarahouten.com/

And after that scatter gun post I'll go find a toolbar!

Ian

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Perhaps this next observation amounts to heresy here but...
PM or email me off-Forum, Ian, and I can offer a suggestion for yet another marque to consider in your search.

Dan.
CBI (Certified Bad Influence  ;) )