Author Topic: Ultimate eating utensil  (Read 3693 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Ultimate eating utensil
« on: April 08, 2012, 06:01:11 am »
Seriously!

I just discovered the titanium chopstick foon. Want. Badly. Must have:
http://www.gsioutdoors.com/products/pdp/titanium_kung_foon/
There's even a stainless-steel version with plastic chopsticks for less coin linked from the same page.

It finally solves the problem of a do-all utensil that also will reach to the bottom of a freeze-dried food pouch or freezer bag full of rehydrated food. The bowl is deep enough to reasonably hold soup or chile or such, and the tines have a reverse angle that actually spears and holds food.

I always take chopsticks with me, so this is a way to make a third eating tool/utensil out of two. Suddenly, I feel almost as smart as those tool-making chimps that poke at holes with sticks to eat otherwise unreachable ants.

It has the added virtue of clinging to the edge of a pot or deep bo.wl if you invert it to catch the hook on the end. Perfection in design. The titanium foon itself weighs 0.4oz/12g and measures approx. 17cm. The chopsticks are rosewood and the lot fits in a metal case and weighs a total of 4.1oz/116g

I use the GSI folding foon in my mini-kitchen (See:  http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=3850.msg16915#msg16915 ...and... http://the-gadgeteer.com/2011/01/22/bored-with-your-spork-get-a-foon-instead/ ). My white-gas stove box is equipped with polycarbonate spoons. The chopstick-foon may replace those.

At the other end of the spectrum is...this: http://shop.cooperhewitt.org/p/478/Credit-Card-Cutlery Tableware you can carry in your wallet. Too short to be practical, though; I'd use my fingers and lick the plate first, though these would prevent committing that social faux pas. In the same vein but intended for an entirely different purpose is this: http://the-gadgeteer.com/2011/08/13/credit-card-wallet-razor/

Anyone else have a preferred eating utensil or two for use on-tour? Anyone else take chopsticks? Are foons and sporks evil? Plastic poisonous? Titanium pretentious? Whaddaya use?

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 07:11:28 am by Danneaux »

julk

Re: Ultimate eating utensil
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 09:21:04 am »
Dan,
I don't think I would do very well with chopsticks!

I take a lhoon from alpkit for cooking and eating - suits me well.
It is long enough to stir the cooking pot without burning fingers and easy to eat with afterwards.

For cutting/slicing I take a titanium knife from a knife/fork/spoon set. I have sharpened the serrated knife blade with a triangular diamond file to the point where it will slice tomatoes.
Julian.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 06:42:39 pm »
I take a lhoon from alpkit
In all truth, Julian, this is probably the better choice. I've found the best strategy when beguiled by a new product is to sleep on the idea. The next day, the wonderful hysteria of Product Perfection has passed and a measure of rationality restored. What looked wonderful at 1AM becomes a bit more pedestrian with the realism of 10AM and the harsh light of day.

The titanium chopstick foon is an interesting amalgam, but I'd want to make sure the chopsticks really stayed in place before I plunked down my money. There is bound to be some successive pinching there over time, and wood -- even pretty rosewood -- isn't the most germ-proof of materials with extended use, even if it is sealed with oil. The less expensive stainless model only weighs a few grams more, and comes with plastic (that could melt against a hot pot edge). The hooked handle is nice to prevent the thing from submarining beneath one's Ramen, but a spork/foon will always be the worst of two utensils, more handy but less-good than a proper spoon and fork (or my usual fork-substitute, a knife used for stabbing meats, carrots, and such on the plate). I never realized how badly one can irritate your lips and till I used it for an extended period. The tines also poke neat little holes in the bottom of steaming-hot freezer-bags and food pouches when steeping food, and that's Not Good.

Really, I think you've got the better, more reliable solution of the two, and I appreciate hearing about it. That and a set of chopsticks, and I'd be fine. Nice!

All the best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 08:32:36 pm by Danneaux »

jags

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 07:19:09 pm »
chop sticks i can just about use a knife and fork ;D ;D
nothing special for me Dan i'll be borrowing a soup spoon and a fork from the wifes kitchen.
i did buy from aldi a fold up set knife fork spoon  but its heavy enough so it's stating in the shed.
the only thing i have to worry about on the cooking thing is not to burn everything to a crisp ;)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 08:12:57 pm »
i did buy from aldi a fold up set knife fork spoon  but its heavy enough so it's stating in the shed.
jags, I've been intrigued and in-love with the idea of those since I was a kid of 8. My favorite is the kind that come apart, so you end up with two utensils. See: http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/sportsmans/Coleman-Utensil-Pocket-Knife/productDetail/Batteries-and-Battery-Accessories/prod9999009522/cat100937 Besides, they're red, so must work better.  ;)

Trouble is -- just as you've found -- they're all heavy enough to serve as boat anchors, so I've managed to resist the urge...so far.  :-\

chop sticks
Yeah, I know. When I was living in Oxford, Mississippi, I would make frequent trips to the Big City of Memphis, Tennessee. While there, I discovered a wonderful little mom 'n' pop Chinese restaurant called Nam King. I'd never managed chopsticks before, but the place was small enough to feel comfortable making a fool of myself in the learning, and the lady who was co-owner took pity and tutored me. When I finally caught on, it was much like learning to ride a bicycle -- impossible to learn, then impossibly easy once you have the knack. They've been useful to take along ever since, and nothing -- nothing! -- works better for picking out hub bearings for a roadside rebuild.

the only thing i have to worry about on the cooking thing is not to burn everything to a crisp
I know the feeling! That's why I've settled on freezer-bag cooking. At least, I can't burn water on a campstove. Things go fine when I cook at home, but not so well on the road. This is foolproof, and by the end of a long day -- and after setting up camp -- there's enough Fool in Danneaux to go around! Add fatigue, altitude, dehydration, advancing cold, and hunger, and simmering a meal to perfection ain't gonna go well.

Now for the nuts and bolts of freezer bag cooking: What I do is start with some dried soup mix. My favorite is the "Nile" brand, that come in little paper cups with a foil lid. Cost about 88 cents on sale. I love their pea soup, but rice and beans can't be beat for the protein. Preparing it pre-tour is easy: I open the package at home, dump the contents into a zip-top freezer bag (the freezer bags are more tolerant of boiling water), and label it as to flavor and water needed (typically a cup or so). I often add some dried vegetables -- small sliced carrots, dried tomatoes, some dried peas and such -- and seal it after squeezing out all the air. Rolled and secured with a rubber band, space and weight in my bags are minimal.

On the road at mealtime, I just boil the water and add it to the sack, letting it settle to squeeze the air out before resealing. At this point, I'll add some pouch or tinned meats -- beef, chicken, or fish -- or perhaps some dried jerky. The next step is really important -- I put it in a bag cozy.  My cozies are homemade, and use a length of doubled-over Reflective insulation (basically silver-reflectorized bubble wrap from the hardware store, taped together with some adhesive-backed aluminum tape and closed with a spot of self-adhesive velcro). Pop the freezer bag inside (or start with it in there already), close the lid, and wait 5 minutes for it to steep -- it basically cooks in the sack. When the watch alarm goes off -- dinner! The real beauty of it all in a dry camp is no water is required to wash the dishes, 'cos you eat from the sack. When finished, the sack becomes a trash bag for wrappers and such, waiting to be disposed of when you find the proper receptacle. Freezer-bag cooking has changed my touring life, jags. It is just so much easier, takes less fuel, and can't be burned.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 08:30:00 pm by Danneaux »

julk

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 10:47:06 pm »
Dan,
Chopsticks (folding and titanium/wood of course) available from Alpkit.

That freezer bag cooking technique looks really good.
I like to start the day with porridge - have you ever tried to make it in the bag?

Slightly off topic - I take some dried full cream milk powder which is nice reconstituted. It is Nido by Nestle and hard to find.
It tastes much better than the usual skimmed milk powder which is commonly available here in the UK.
Julian.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 02:44:52 am »
Chopsticks (folding and titanium/wood of course) available from Alpkit.
Another wonderful thing to keep in mind, Julian; thanks for the heads-up! I've been keeping an eye on such things and it is always good to have something specific in mind for birthday or Christmas hints or when they unexpectedly go on-sale. Keep the ideas coming, please!

That freezer bag cooking technique looks really good. I like to start the day with porridge - have you ever tried to make it in the bag?
<nods> Yes, Julian, the freezer-bag cooking has really proven helpful to me. It is scorch-proof, and the little Reflectix cozies make sure everything is fully cooked long after the stove is turned off, even in cold weather. It surely saves fuel, as one only need run the stove long enough to boil water. It is ideal if you prefer to use a homemade meths stove made from a beer can. Water takes about 4-5 minutes to boil, the cozy time is another 5 minutes (you can do other things while it cooks in the bag) and then you're ready to eat with no muss or fuss and can even eat meal courses in rounds by having several going and simply reclosing a given bag and cozy to keep it hot till you return to that "course". I usually take two cozies and if I am really hungry, I just boil enough water (2 cups, with enough spare for tea, hot cocoa, or hot apple cider to drink as I eat my meal) to start two at once and eat them one after the other. The second is still plenty hot by the time I've finished the first. I am thinking of getting a small tea kettle to speed the boiling process and aid pouring. This one is on my short-list: http://www.rei.com/product/798276/gsi-outdoors-halulite-ketalist-cookset The kettle is available separately for reduced cost: http://www.rei.com/product/768513/gsi-outdoors-hae-tea-kettle The problem for me is the bulk compared to my present cup/bowl system and worries about the sharp ends of the handle bail. This seems the one to get if I go that route, though my father has kindly offered to lend his Trangia, which we used on past tours together, the last over 21 years ago. It isn't quite as efficient as the black-anodized version, but it is full of warm sentiment.

As for porridge -- yes! I have made instant porridge as well as the old-fashioned kind (rolled oats) in my freezer bag and cozy, and it came out wonderfully! What I did was put in a handful of the rolled oats, then a smidgen of powdered milk and about a teaspoonful of brown sugar and a few dark raisins. Add water to taste/consistency, stir or tip/shake with the lid zipped shut, pop it in the cozy for five minutes, and there's nothing better when done. I have also made a porridge substitute using oat bran granola with powdered milk. Allowed to steep to a soft-warm consistency, it is nourishing and good on a cold morning.

Once a person starts, there seems to be no end to freezer-bag/cozy cooking. I've had wonderful luck with white/basmati and wild rice, with cream of wheat and cream of rice for breakfast, and have had good luck with side dishes as well. Dried carrots with a half-tablespoon of brown sugar come out almost garden-crisp but tender and sweet. I will often add dried noodles; spinach pasta is a good choice, or short sections of angel-hair pasta. The whole concept is much like a Ramen noodle cup...with the bag and cozy substituting for the cardboard or styro cup.

I haven't figured out why the process is so successful, but there's something about the boiling water in the confined space of the freezer bag with the held-in heat of the cozy that really makes stuff cook so well. They're cheap, too. By getting enough materials to make three, the cost was only USD$2.37 each. They weigh almost nothing, pack flat against a pannier stiffener, last a remarkably long time, and can be quickly patched with a square of the same adhesive-backed aluminum duct tape used to fasten the sides. The only caution I can offer is to not reuse the freezer bags for cooking. I think their seams are only reliably good for one go-'round. Freezer bag cooking is particularly good for rainy camping, as it minimizes time outdoors. Just start the water boiling, then return when it is ready and pour in the bag. From that point on, all steeping and eating can take place in the tent -- no dangers of cooking inside. It is often best to eat from the bag while it is in the cozy, as the insulated cozy prevents burned hands. The alternative is to remove the freezer bag from the cozy and set it in a bowl, cup, or pot to eat. So long as the contents remain in the bag, you'll have no dishes to do, saving precious water. With freezer bag cooking, you can leave most cups, dishes, pots, and bowls at home. All that is really needed is a cup and some vessel to boil water atop the stove, and a spoon,

The freezer-bag meals take up so little space, it would be easy to carry a number within an empty kettle. I usually take a couple with me on long day rides, along with my Pocket Kitchen ( http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=3850.0;attach=987 ). It only takes up a small corner of my handlebar bag or rack pack when stored on-end. I squeeze out the excess air, roll them into cylinders, and secure them with a rubber band. They're far cheaper to make than a freeze-dried meal (on average, less than USD$1.30 for most of mine), weigh nearly the same, take up no more room, and are custom-made to your tastes so you get just what you'd like. Pretty much anything dry can be combined, and boiling water with a 5-minute cozy steeping time seems about universally ideal. I have taken to fortifying mine with meats on recent tours. I add the meat in small chunks after the boiling water and just before sealing. It always comes out tender and cooked, but I'd start with pre-cooked pouch or canned meats such as tuna, chicken breast, or beef besides the torn-off pieces of dried beef or turkey jerky. A vegetarian friend substitutes cashews for meat and reports good results.

Slightly off topic - I take some dried full cream milk powder which is nice reconstituted. It is Nido by Nestle and hard to find.
It tastes much better than the usual skimmed milk powder which is commonly available here in the UK.
Very useful information, Julian! I'm not familiar with that brand and am not sure it is available here on this side, but I do know the brand/type of powdered milk makes a world of difference. Some taste like chalk, while others are a reasonable facsimile of real (wet) milk. For years, I put my powdered milk in heat-sealed plastic bags I put together at home. It never really worked as I'd hoped; the heat-sealable plastic was brittle and would sometimes leak at the seams under the constant vibration of travel. The solution for me is a clear plastic mustard dispenser. You often see them on the tables of diners and truck-stop restaurants here. They're fairly narrow, tall cylinders with a captive, capped spout. With practice, it becomes easy to judge just how much powder looks "about right", or you can still measure it into a spoon of known size. It is leakproof, keeps the powdered milk in one place and dry, and is just the ticket for dispensing it quickly. Here we go: http://www.amazon.com/Ounce-Squeeze-Bottle-06-0520-Category/dp/B00125TALC I can't believe the price; I paid only USD$1.27 for mine at Wal-Mart. They are often a seasonal item and become more available as summer picnic season approaches.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 05:00:20 am by Danneaux »