Author Topic: Axa Nano  (Read 16206 times)

JimK

• Interdependent Science
Re: Axa Nano
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2012, 11:24:53 pm »
I used my Axa Nano  for last weeks  Exmouth Exodus 

Thanks for the report! That was a plenty rigorous test of all systems! Glad that you all got through safe and sound despite the challenging conditions.

rualexander

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2012, 04:18:39 pm »
Finally got out for a night ride in totally dark rural roads at the weekend.
Lovely starry night, and the road lit up ahead of me with my Axa Nano Plus.
Very impressed with the light output, I would say better than my B&M Ixon IQ, and a more diffuse beam although still well shaped.
The two secondary LEDs which come on when speed drops below around 11km/h, do make a difference to the area of road nearer to the bike where you tend to look at low speeds.
The beam is nice and bright even at near to walking speed, so no problem on those long slow climbs.
Standlight function was still putting out enough light to be seen by after 5 minutes when I stopped to test it.

The only downside that I could find was that it needs a hood if the lamp is in your field of view, too much light coming up towards your eyes spoiling night vision. Same problem exists with the Ixon IQ and I just bought the hood for that, I should have bought two and stuck one to the Axa. I'll have to try and make one up.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2012, 04:38:27 pm »
Fantastic ride report, Rual...it sure is nice to hear of alternatives to the usual B&M IQ Cyo line, and this seems a real winner in actual use.

D'you think a bit of black vinyl or duct tape would make a suitable light-shielding hood?

From what I can see, it allows charging /or/ lighting, but not both at once. Has this been restrictive for you in any way? I'd think most tour riding would be in the daytime anyway, allowing for plenty of time to re/charge gadgets before nightfall, when the lights would be needed. USB charging over 10kph is excellent for low-speed use as well.

And, too, the design looks pretty, and I like what appears to be an articulating mount to get the setup "just right". Nice having that USB port right there handy, as well; no extra wires needed. Bike Radar gave a thumbnail review here:
http://www.bikeradar.com/commuting/news/article/axa-nano-50-plus-first-look-33632/

Boy...a good night beam with standlight and USB charging capability; sounds like a real contender!

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 04:43:16 pm by Danneaux »

jags

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2012, 09:26:05 pm »
Ruel what i want to know how was your tour of ireland .(you were touring  ::))

rualexander

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2012, 10:48:54 pm »
Hi jags

Yes i was touring in Ireland in June, 3 weeks taking in the Antrim coast, Donegal, and Leitrim.
Good trip, amazed at all the new build houses in Donegal, and the number of unfinished properties left by the crash!
Axa Nano Plus kept my phone charged up no problem.

Photos of trip : http://www.flickr.com/photos/rualexander/sets/72157630498700480/show/

jags

« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2012, 11:32:14 pm »
wow enjoyed that thanks.
look like you guys had a great time, you sure got some tough climbing in there not like the alps but every bit as hard  ;)

Andre Jute

« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2012, 12:58:45 am »
Those photographs are almost as good as being there! Thank you very much for sharing!

rualexander

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2012, 10:03:47 pm »
A new light from Axa has recently come out, with more light output. Models with and without USB ports are available.
http://www.axacompany.com/EE/en/axasite/products/lichten/
http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k1004/a86942/luxx-70-plus-steady-auto-led-scheinwerfer.html
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 10:08:24 pm by rualexander »