Author Topic: Axa Nano  (Read 16095 times)

JimK

• Interdependent Science
Axa Nano
« on: April 05, 2012, 12:34:35 pm »
Here's a new product that looks nifty enough - a USB charger built into a headlight:

http://www.bikeradar.com/commuting/news/article/axa-nano-50-plus-first-look-33632/

rualexander

Re: Axa Nano
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 04:16:15 pm »
There are a few different models of the axa nano plus, they have been available for a few months but mostly you have to search for them on german or dutch google sites, they range in price from around 69 - 85 euros.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 04:43:32 pm »
a USB charger built into a headlight
Now, this just makes sense, Jim, and AXA should be saluted for coming out with a well-conceived solution. I'm hoping we'll see more and more of these as time goes by. It is so clean and so logical, and no messing about with additional purchases and chargers and wiring and such. Yes, it costs more than some lights, but it also includes an integrated charging system. Nice find!

A friend with a quill stem approached me about mounting a Tout Terrain The Plug 2 to a different location, since the intended steerer-cap location is unavailable in his case. The best I could offer was to mount it in a bracket made from a short length of PVC pipe with a cross-brace chemically-welded to it and drilled and tapped for The Plug2. The result looked far less good to me than an e-werk, but he is still seriously considering The Plug2 in a Danneaux mount (it is ugly; we'll have to call it something else). I thought about making a chemically-welded tab and mounting it to an extended light bolt at the top of the bracket. I think the Axa Nano looks much better, and it appears to have a lens design similar to B&M's IQ line of bicycle lighting, perhaps a rearward-pointing LED with a reflector-shaped beam.

Best,

Dan.

Pavel

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 12:51:24 am »
very nice.  I hope this brings a wave of similarly inspired products.  The price seems reasonable as well compared to what is out there as competition, but of course the quality and the quality of the beam of light are still the most important questions.  I wonder if they will make it here to the US any times soon?

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 01:27:39 am »

rualexander

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 06:31:46 pm »
I have just bought one of these lights/chargers from the German site Bike Discount and received it today, price was 65 euros including postage to UK.
Fitted it to my Sherpa this afternoon and a brief spinning of the wheel in the shed shows it to be working well.
Quality seems reasonable although the three position switch feels a bit imprecise. It switches between lights on, auto lights on, and usb port on. The usb port has a rubber cover although time will tell how good it is at keeping the water out.
The light has three led 'bulbs', a main beam led and two lesser led that come on at low speed and supposedly illuminate the area nearer the bike. From the brief test, they seem to come on when speed drops below around 11 km/h.
Haven't really been able to assess the main beam yet, will have to wait for a night ride for that, and that might be a while given that its light until after 10pm here now!
My Motorola Defy phone showed it was charging ok from the usb port when the wheel was spun up in the shed and charging stopped below around 5km/h.
Full test of the charging system this weekend hopefully.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 06:33:42 pm by rualexander »

AndrewC

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2012, 08:00:58 pm »
A couple of people on YACF have now got these.  Initial impressions seem positive.

http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=55583.165

I found pictures of some beamshots as well.

I've got a SON hub waiting to be built into a wheel. I can see one of these appearing on my Visa statement as well  ::)

rualexander

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2012, 10:16:31 pm »
I've now done a couple of rides testing out my Nano Plus charging system.
Two and a half hours test last week at an average speed of 13.5 km/h (hilly route) put 40% charge into my Motorola Defy phone which was switched on but not using any apps.
One and three quarters hours test today at an average speed of 19km/h (less hilly route) put 30% charge into the phone.
Off to Ireland for three weeks tomorrow, so will give it a good test and report back when I return.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2012, 10:20:54 pm »
Wonderful report, Rual, with all the figures and such and real-world examples; much appreciated. Can't wait for the full user's report on your return (and maybe some trip pics?).

All best wishes for a safe, happy, and fun three weeks in Ireland,

Dan.

rualexander

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2012, 10:56:22 am »
I've now had the Nano Plus light for a while now and have been able to test its charging abilities fairly well.
It kept my phone charged no problem during my 3 weeks in Ireland, cycling about 4 hours per day on average, I would say an hour of cycling put about 20% charge into the phone with the phone switched on but nothing running.
I was able to continue charging in wet weather (the instructions advise against it) by placing a ziplock bag over the light and usb cable connection and securing it with an elastic band.

Last sunday, over a 3 hour ride at an average speed of 17.3km/h, with phone gps on, screen on permanently, and running a mapping app, the Nano was able to maintain my phone's charge at the same level throughout the ride, and in fact, due to a fast last few miles, the ride ended with the phone battery 10% higher charge than at the start.

As for the light output, I still haven't really been able to assess it, although I did run it with the light on one day when it was wet and dull and on busy roads. I could feel the difference in drag with the light on and freewheeling but couldn't really feel any difference when actually pedalling, when in usb mode I was never able to feel any difference in drag between charging and off.

Andre Jute

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2012, 06:01:30 pm »
Even just being able to maintain your phone's charge level with the GPS service running is already a gain; a really long day's cycling is probably longer than the real-life endurance, as distinct from manufacturer's claims, of most phones. GPS is a particularly heavy drain.

Andre Jute

AndrewC

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2012, 06:33:53 pm »
I've now got one of these on my bike.  I'll be testing the light out on the Exmouth Exodus at the weekend.

This weekend gone I was camping with friends and ran my iPhone down to 0%.   25Km of pedaling had it up to 34%.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2012, 06:51:20 pm »
...I was camping with friends and ran my iPhone down to 0%. 25Km of pedaling had it up to 34%...
A really good result, Andrew!

A lot cheaper than the Tout Terrain The Plug 2 and PAT cable, and the results are looking really good!

Isn't there something wonderfully satisfying about seeing the battery charge climb as you pedal? There is for me; makes me feel like my efforts are really counting for something (besides seeing some wonderful scenery, camping in the Great Outdoors, etc).

Best,

Dan.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2012, 12:22:40 am »
Here is another charging box I just saw mentioned:

http://www.thinkbiologic.com/products/reecharge-power-pack

AndrewC

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2012, 10:03:28 pm »
I used my Axa Nano  for last weeks  Exmouth Exodus  it proved to be an excellent light, and wasn't affected by the period of heavy rain that we had.

I didn't finish, but enjoyed the ride. My report is below.

http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=61456.msg1286400#msg1286400