Author Topic: bells  (Read 17379 times)

rualexander

Re: bells
« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2013, 02:40:05 pm »
It always strikes me as weird that the Queen's birthday (which isn't her real birthday) is a public holiday in Australia and New Zealand but isn't a holiday in the UK.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2013, 02:59:09 pm »
I used to think I wanted to live in San Diego as well. Then I found REAL heaven.
Wow, Sam...what a magnificent scene and some really outstanding photos showing it all. And, to think it is all just meters from your home! Lovely indeed, and absolutely picture-book perfect! What a place for a bike ride!

You're even further from me than the UK listmembers at 7593mi/12,220km...so why does it look like San Diego's Mission Beach, which is just 978mi/1574km away?  ??? :D ::)

Best,

Dan.

NZPeterG

• It's Great to Be Alive! Again! Go Cycle. . . . . .
    • Kiwi Pete's Cycling Safari
« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2013, 12:00:00 am »
It always strikes me as weird that the Queen's birthday (which isn't her real birthday) is a public holiday in Australia and New Zealand but isn't a holiday in the UK.

Hi that is a good point! but its the start of winter too.
Why is Mum's day not on the some day in New Zealand and the UK?
I may have to go back to School and lean Why?
It in the end is nice to have have a day off.............

Pete
 8)

The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common[

http://kiwipetesadventures.tumblr.com/

http://kiwipetescyclingsafari.blogspot.co.nz/

Looked after by Chris @ http://www.puresports.co.nz/
For all your Rohloff and Thorn Bicycle's in NZ

John Saxby

« Reply #48 on: June 11, 2013, 02:55:50 am »
On bells & polish, Matt:

Dan votes for Blue Magic metal, and I wouldn't challenge that.  Here's a few things that I've found useful in restoring old motorcycles, which tend to beheavy on the alloy and largely devoid of plastic, bless 'em:

>  Autosol is the standard British product, works well. Blue, comes in a tube, the consistency of lite toothpaste (of which, more later)
    >  Flitz is a comparable German product; pink, similar consistency to Autosol

Have found both of the above superior to Brasso.  Both are solutions which are not solutions, if you get my drift.  (WRT Other Famous British products:  avoid Marmite.  It's neither a solution nor a solution.)

Better than all is a product by a US firm, Meguiar's (pronounced as if it were M'Gwire's).  I've used two of their products:

>  Rubbing compound, good for buffing out small surface imperfections, on alloys, stainless, brass, and good paint jobs.
    >  Meguiar's All Metal Polish (i.e., polish for all metals):  a firm paste, THE BEST I've found, and smells like pina colada (even tho' I'd guess it's mostly petro-chemical byproducts...)

Good luck with all this.  BTW, the vintage motorcycle network is a good source of info on these kinds of things.  Has a strong presence in the UK, for obvious reasons.

Oh yes, the toothpaste:  Of course it has a fine abrasive in it, so you could try it on something you don't value much, to see what happens. Not sure there's any post-polishing protection, despite what the ads say.

No photos chez nous to compare with Sam's beaches, for sure. But, it was brilliant yesterday on the Ottawa Valley escarpment, 25 degrees, sunny, warm, and breezy enough to keep the bugs away.  High above the big river, we had a clear view due NW (whence came the wind) glinting in the sun for a good 50-60 kms or more.  Lovely sight, dark blue against the greenery.  No photos to prove it, of course -- took only water, banana, toolkit & energy bar on my 4-hr ride.

J.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2013, 03:34:31 am »
...avoid Marmite.  It's neither a solution nor a solution
<sighs> John, John; we've established Marmite is a saddle spread, goes with bananas and peanut butter and is highly addictive to those under age 16 as well as novelists named Sierra. See thread: http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=4965.0

Speaking of which, Jimmer mentioned it tasting of greasy steel in his Great Banana-Marmite Experiment. Hmm. Perhaps it may also work as a metals polish.
 ;D

Best,

Dan. (...who simply must acquire some Marmite...for Science!)

Lemming

« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2013, 02:21:46 pm »
I feel that you are all missing the most relevant thing about metal polishes.

You can drink Brasso..........

Lion Bellworks was a good find - I am now waiting for delivery.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #51 on: June 11, 2013, 03:39:33 pm »

You can drink Brasso
My nose went shiny when I did that.
 ;)
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Slammin Sammy

« Reply #52 on: June 11, 2013, 04:07:41 pm »
No photos chez nous to compare with Sam's beaches, for sure. But, it was brilliant yesterday on the Ottawa Valley escarpment, 25 degrees, sunny, warm, and breezy enough to keep the bugs away.  High above the big river, we had a clear view due NW (whence came the wind) glinting in the sun for a good 50-60 kms or more.  Lovely sight, dark blue against the greenery.  No photos to prove it, of course -- took only water, banana, toolkit & energy bar on my 4-hr ride.

Ontario! Land of Lakes. I've been there once, a very long time ago.

You don't need photos to prove it John, after a description like that!  ;D

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #53 on: June 11, 2013, 04:10:58 pm »
You can drink Brasso...
:o Yikes! :o

Not for long...*

All the best,

Dan. (...who is the only person he knows who actually reads the MSDS for products he uses...)

*So...what's really in the stuff? Depends on the kind one uses.
The MSDS ( http://www.wardrobesupplies.com/assets/products/8499/safety_sheets/Brasso_%20Polish_%20MSDS.pdf?1360078967 ) for the multi-purpose formula shows it contains petroleum distillates (Stoddard solvent and desulfurized distillates), some crystalline silica as an abrasive, some kaolin clay as an absorptive, a fatty oil commonly used in soaps, and ammonia water.

Not much to float a boat there.

The MSDS ( http://www.uafacilities.ua.edu/custodial/msds/sheets/Brasso.pdf ) for the brass-specific formula shows Isopropyl alcohol, ammonia water, silica powder as an abrasive, and oxalic acid dihydrate as a corrosion remover/chelate.

The probable attraction there is the isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol, which causes horrible effects and can be lethal in surprisingly small quantities. The rest would definitely leave one ehm, "horribly unsettled".

Eew.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 07:17:53 pm by Danneaux »

Lemming

« Reply #54 on: June 11, 2013, 04:20:03 pm »
The rest would definitely leave one ehm, "horribly unsettled".

Possibly......

But look at the cost of alcohol in Norway!

energyman

« Reply #55 on: June 18, 2013, 09:10:15 pm »
I feel that you are all missing the most relevant thing about metal polishes.

You can drink Brasso..........

Lion Bellworks was a good find - I am now waiting for delivery.

Firstly Lion Bell Works was an EXCELLENT find.  My son is getting one for his birthday.
Secondly if you filter the Brasso through a long loaf of bread it is, apparently, quiet passable - things one learnt when at sea ( MN - many years ago mind you and I never did partake of that particular brew !)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #56 on: June 18, 2013, 09:23:27 pm »
...things one learnt when at sea...
! 'Things one learns on the Thorn Cycling Forum!  :D

Fascinating!

Best,

Dan. (...who thinks Chris' son will be awfully happy come his birthday; those LW bells look and sound wonderful!)

Planet X

« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2013, 07:18:45 pm »
Another Lion here....

;D
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 07:21:38 pm by Planet X »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2013, 07:26:07 pm »
Man! What a gorgeous bell!

Best,

Dan. (...who thinks the photo editing ain't bad, either!  ;D )