Author Topic: Panaracers & Punctures  (Read 3055 times)

energyman

Panaracers & Punctures
« on: March 14, 2012, 05:58:06 pm »
After a year or so on Marathon Plus's with absolutely no bother I thought Spring is here let's try Panaracer Pasela Tourguards on my RST and see whats what.
Well after 60 miles and two punctures I am not convinced that they were a good buy and to be quiet honest I couldn't feel the difference in the ride.
Can anyone convince me otherwise or am I just unlucky ?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 06:01:22 pm by energyman »

Cambirder

Re: Panaracers & Punctures
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 06:17:13 pm »
I have them on my RST, because after forking out for lightweight rims I did not to spoil the ride with heavy tyres. I've now ridden 3200 km on them and have had one puncture. Nearly all my riding is on roads but the puncture was caused by a vicious blackthorn thorn while riding on a none to smooth track.

The thorn entered via the side wall which has zero protection, but for road work that is not really an issue. When worn I will go for another pair as they give a nice ride and rolling resistance seems minimal which is great for 200k + audax rides or weekend tours, but I might make another choice if I spent a  lot of time on tracks especially ones where hedge flailing has been carried out.

Relayer

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 06:24:14 pm »
I have been running folding Pasela Tourguards 1.75" for most of the past 2.5 years on my RST, and during the last few months I have been switching them back and forth with 1.6" Marathon Supremes, also experimenting with them both at various tyre pressures.  I have not had a puncture with either tyre.

There was a performance increase with the Supremes at Max pressure (as per the sidewall) against a loss in comfort; however since dropping pressures I can't tell much difference in performance but the Paselas edge it for me in terms of comfort and better grip on frosty/muddy roads or tracks (and also looks/fitting with the mudguard).

I have therefore decided to stick with 1.75" Paselas, they make me happy.   ;D

Two punctures in 60 miles is very unlucky.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 06:26:22 pm by Relayer »

jags

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 07:11:25 pm »
to be honest punctures i reckon is down to bad luck.
i bought a new set of wheels from a friend of mine put new tyres on them and in three weeks i had eight  flats no reason in the world just bad luck ;D

neil_p

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 08:22:53 am »
After a year or so on Marathon Plus's with absolutely no bother I thought Spring is here let's try Panaracer Pasela Tourguards on my RST and see whats what.
Well after 60 miles and two punctures I am not convinced that they were a good buy and to be quiet honest I couldn't feel the difference in the ride.
Can anyone convince me otherwise or am I just unlucky ?

I used Pasela TG 1.75" for 5000k with only one puncture between 2 tyres. I bought a new pair of Pasela TG 1.25".... and have had 3 punctures in 200 miles! It is impossible to say whether bad luck... a dodgy batch of tyres...... grrrrrrr :)

richie thornger

• Batman to Robben
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 12:25:18 pm »
Got a pair of 1.75s on my RST. Fully loaded (40kg)to Istanbul I had 3 punctures.
1 was after driving through a disused sewer with no end of nasty stuff in, so I only have myself to blame.
I'm happy with 2 random punctures in over 5000 miles. All sorts of surfaces.

Saying that, I stayed with a guy in Austria and he cycled over 28000km to the Phillipines with 1 puncture on a set of Shwalbe DX (i think they were called) he said they weighed more than a kilo each !
On the other side of the yin yang he got bit by more dogs than he had punctures:)

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy

energyman

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 05:53:09 pm »
Thanks for all replies.  However since the initial message ------ touch wood --------- cross fingers etc ...........

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 06:07:15 pm »
since the initial message <nothing>
Yay! We won't whisper a word, lest it set the jinx upon you.

I will say I've always tended to get more <     > in wet weather, since water serves as a lubricant, making it easier for debris to penetrate tires and cause a <    >. My incidence of <         > goes way down in the drier months for that very reason.  I remember 7th grade science class, where we were issued single-edge razor blades to cut surgical tubing for the bunsen burners.  One could have sawed away till doomsday on dry tubing, but add a drop of water, and the blade sliced through like a hot knife through butter. Same thing with tires, rainy days, and <     >.

Best,

Dan. (who isn't saying "the word" in any of its forms; can't be too careful!)

Relayer

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2012, 06:12:56 pm »
After my ride yesterday I noticed a lot of grit etc in the tread of my Paselas so I got the bradawl out and cleaned them out - just in case some of it was actually glass. 

I do this every so often since many years ago I got a puncture and while I was repairing the tube a friend prised out lots of little shards burrowing into my tyre.

il padrone

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2012, 11:04:05 pm »
Save yourself much grief and time - get a pair of Vittoria Randonneurs.

I have the Vittoria Randonneur Cross (only available in 26") on several bikes and have never had a penetration puncture in any of them. I have done over 8000kms on the Thorn Nomad, and 14000kms on the previous pair on my Giant Sedona, with zero punctures  ;D