Author Topic: Drop 'bars & Rohloff: A dozen differ'nt ways  (Read 97284 times)

mickeg

Re: Drop 'bars & Rohloff: A dozen differ'nt ways
« Reply #150 on: September 06, 2013, 12:08:23 am »
A second photo that I thought was attached to the above post, but did not get attached.

jags

« Reply #151 on: September 06, 2013, 12:55:55 am »
Wow that is some set up twin headlights and how did you attach that sat nav.
please post more photos of your set up so as i steal a few ideas ;)

jags.

mickeg

« Reply #152 on: September 06, 2013, 02:48:38 am »
More photos later.

On handlebar, bell on left and computer (VDO wireless) on right side.  Plus the interrupter or cyclocross type brake levers that consume some of the useable bar space.

Stem cap has on left side a HRM wrist watch type with a handlebar adapter, vintage Garmin Legend GPS on right.  Stem cap is a plastic gizmo by Delta:
http://deltacycle.com/accessories/hold-its/computer-caddy

The two headlights are wired in series, SP Dynamo hub.  They are the bottle generator type lights, no switch, great sale price from SJS.  I unplug at the hub for a switch.  Bracket is home made, piece of metal with one hole in middle for bolt into fork, two 90 degree bends and a hole on each end threaded for M6 to hold each light.  I need about 4.5 mph (sorry, not sure speed in km/hour) minimum to get any light, so the second light increases the minimum speed needed to get any light.  I bought the lights on speculation when I ordered the frame and fork, decided to use them this way.  I also bought a light with switch, but when I wired one bottle generator with one switched Lumotec, one light would flicker when switch in off position.  Not sure why, but I quit trying to configure that one.  There will be times that I put one switchable light on the bike instead of the pair.
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/busch-and-muller-d-lumotec-oval-led-headlight-for-bottle-dynamos-prod31003/

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #153 on: September 06, 2013, 06:09:26 am »
Very nice looking setup, Mickeg! Looks good indeed, ideally suited to your needs, and ingenious.

I, too, prefer that end-on approach to the shifter and it turns as easily as opening a doorknob that way, even allowing one to "speed-dial" through a range of gears in one smooth shift.

I'm still intrigued by all the ways people have setup their Rohloff shifters to work with drop handlebars -- talk about innovation!

Best,

Dan.

mickeg

« Reply #154 on: September 09, 2013, 02:01:54 am »
Jags requested more photos.  This is the view from when you are riding the bike and looking down at the electronics or Rohloff shifter.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #155 on: September 09, 2013, 02:04:14 am »
Very tidy cockpit, mickeg! Everything needed falls ready to hand, and this shot also shows the Rohloff shifter placement very nicely.

Well done!

Best,

Dan.

mickeg

« Reply #156 on: September 09, 2013, 02:05:41 am »
And from the front with handlebar bag removed.  To reiterate, if I stood on the pedals to accelerate, the shifter would likely get in the way of my leg or knee, but the condition of my knees prevents me from standing on the pedals anymore.

jags

« Reply #157 on: September 09, 2013, 11:29:42 am »
well thought out set up.my son in law made me a stem cap for my garmin  done agreat job on it ,copied it from the paul stem cap but dont tell anyone. ;)
great photos thanks for posting.

brummie

« Reply #158 on: September 09, 2013, 08:30:34 pm »
Any chance of sharing your Nomad with a full side on shot? - Looks a stunning machine.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 08:33:06 pm by brummie »

mickeg

« Reply #159 on: September 10, 2013, 01:25:44 pm »
Two more photos, one photo per post.

mickeg

« Reply #160 on: September 10, 2013, 01:34:02 pm »
And this photo.  And I suppose you want the parts list too.

SP Dynamo front hub, 36h.
Rigida (Ryde) CSS rims, 36h.  Drilled for Shraeder, Wheels Mfg adapter for Presta allows Presta tubes to be used (I prefer Presta) but can use Shrader if Presta are unavailable.
Wheelsmith spokes, Sapim nipples.
Fenders, Bontrager.  These full size fenders will stay home if I travel using the S&S case.
Front brake, XT T780 with Travel Agent.
D Lumotec Oval lights, two bottle type in series, but for some trips might instead use a single switched model of that light.
Headset, the one supplied with frame, do not recall what it was.
XLC Stem.  90mm, 35 degree.
Handlebars, do not recall brand and model, they were cheap when I bought them sometime back, 31.8mm.
Tektro cross top (interuptor) brake levers, 31.8mm.
Cane Creek brake levers, I thought I had a spare set of the regular levers but found that they were the short pull version.  But they work without hitting the bar so will keep these.
VDO computer, wireless, do not recall model.  I normally prefer wired, but a travel bike with S&S warrants a wireless.  Wheel sensor on rear so I can put the bike on my trainer.
Handlebar bag, Louis Garneau HB-9, modified with stiffiner added to lid.
Thorn T Bar, shortest one, do not recall length.
Delta Stem Cap, sold as a Computer Caddy.
Bottom Bracket, Shimano UN55, 122.5mm.
Vuelta Corsa Crankarms.  Purchased as complete crankset with 50/34t rings that are currently in storage.
Bashguard/chainguard was actually a 52t chainring on clearance price from SJS, I cut the teeth off of it to convert to a chainguard.
Chainring 44t, generic by Seatle Sports, less than $11 USD from Niagara.  Was silver color, I sprayed it black.  For touring I will remove the chainguard and use both a 36t and 44t chainrings on the double crank.  If I am looking at several hours of substantial climbing, I will remove a section of chain (have two quick links installed) and switch to the 36t, but normally use a 44t ring.
Chain, KMC but I do not recall version.
Pedals, Shimano M324
Rear brakes, Tektro CR720 cantilever with a Dia Comp hanger mounted on the seat stay rack mounts.
Rohloff, black, ex box, 36h, 16t cog.
Halo skewers that take a normal 5mm Allen wrench.
Surly Nice rear rack.  I used to tour with this rack, switched to a Tubus Logo EVO for touring, thus this was not currently in use.  Not sure which rack I will use for touring but for around town will likely keep using the Surly.
Vistalite 5 LED model rear light, homemade bracket to mount on Surly rack.
Brooks Conquest saddle.
Tires. (Sorry, I am in USA, we spell tires this way.)  For around town use I currently have WTB Nanoraptors, but for touring will use Marathon Extremes.

Extras:
The little brass Shrader/Presta adapters on the valve stems.  Sometimes I use a Shraeder pump, sometimes a Presta.
Pump, at this time a Road Morph G, but have a couple others.  A bit of tape covers the chuck to keep the dust out, a modification that I recomend to everyone.
Greenfield kickstand.
The black velcro/neoprene wraps around the S&S couplers to keep the dirt out are sold as athletic wrist wraps.
Front rack, am still undecided which of my many racks will be used for touring.
Water bottle cages, Minoura, selected for color which is a near match.
A bag that fits in the waterbottle cage that holds a few tools, spare tube, tire boot, disposable gloves, plastic bag and seat cover for rain, etc.
Bell.  This one uses a metal bracket that I could bend and with use of longer screws I could fit it on the 31.8mm bars.
Vintage Etrex Legend GPS.  ALso own a vintage Vista model that uses the same bracket.  Installed on the Delta Computer Caddy stem cap.
Heart Rate Monitor, Sports Instruments (no longer made), a wrist watch style with a handlebar adapter, installed on the Delta Computer Caddy Stem Cap.

You may recall that 1960s and 70s 3 speed bikes often came with a wrench which included a spanner for the bottom bracket.  I found that with a bit of work with a file, that bottom bracket spanner works on the S&S couplers just fine.  I am using one of those in my tool bag, but I think it unlikely that I will ever find a use for the Whitworth fittings on that wrench.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #161 on: September 10, 2013, 02:44:04 pm »
Ah now, what a beauty, mickeg! So much care and love evident in the build -- well done and nicely shared; thanks for the sideview photos!

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 03:06:02 pm by Danneaux »

jags

« Reply #162 on: September 10, 2013, 03:07:36 pm »
ah i see you have the same bidons as meself. ;D

brummie

« Reply #163 on: September 10, 2013, 08:47:43 pm »
Thanks for the pics & detailed spec Mickeg. I'm guessing it's a 590M framesize?

mickeg

« Reply #164 on: September 10, 2013, 11:15:22 pm »
Yes, 590M.