Author Topic: Oil leak help......  (Read 4275 times)

Peejay

Oil leak help......
« on: July 12, 2015, 11:08:02 am »
I have a Raven which I bought new in 2013. I rode the bike just over 1000 miles and then changed the oil in the hub. At the time I wasn't aware of the latest advice of putting 15 ml of oil in the hub; so I used 25 ml, now having ridden the bike for a further 2500 miles I have noticed it is leaking oil from the non-drive side from the hollow spindle/quick release. I know the hub has a breather hole in the hollow spindle - so I thought OK - I've put too much oil in and it's leaking out.
I have since changed the oil again removing around 40 ml including the flushing oil, and now put the recommended 15 ml of new oil back in the hub - and it's still leaking oil.

Question is:-

- Is the hub still "adjusting" the oil level having had too much in initially and will settle out and eventually stop leaking.
- Is this normal - do they all "breathe" some oil from here.
- Have I damaged the hub? It doesn't look like any seals are leaking though and it doesn't look like it's leaking from behind the OEM plate where the shifter cables fit.

Any experiences guys please.

Pete.

Matt2matt2002

Re: Oil leak help......
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 11:17:31 am »
I am sure you will softly receive several replies from folk more experienced than myself.
However my own Raven Tour has recently leaked some oil.
I had certainly not over filled it. And it was suggested that my present tour at high altitudes (4,000m+) caused the leak.

I have heard that the hubs only ' use' a coating of oil. It's not a bath, as such.

Very much doubt any damage has been done.

Nevertheless, I don't like seeing oil marks outside the hub.

Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Expr

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2015, 11:47:29 am »
Hi Peejay,

What you are experiencing isn't uncommon and can be a normal symptom under certain circumstances. The hollow spindle on a quick release Version hub uses a soft silicone rubber seal internal of the hub to allow internal pressure to release, usually caused by varying changes in ambient temperature. The main cause of excess oil breathing through this seal is an over healthy amount of hub oil. The breather is situated within the axle itself so would never let all of the oil out by the very fact that it can't...

Sometimes bringing your bike in from outside to a warm inside or vice versa this can produce these symptoms quicker. If your certain that it's only coming out from the center of the hollow axle tube then I think your quite safe to say your doing ok.

It's also fair to say to may see some oil 'breathing' around each side of the hub, again quite normal. Anything more than this may need further investigation.

Hope this helps.

King regards,

Dave.

rafiki

• rafikiPHOTO
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 12:15:03 pm »
I overfilled at the last oil change. I had simply forgotten about the 15ml advice from Thorn. I began to see a leak similar to yours. I put the bike up on the repair stand and drained all the oil into the syringe and left it to continue draining overnight. The following day I refilled with 15mls of the drained oil and replaced the drain plug. I placed a piece of white card under the area which had been leaking. I still saw some minor leakage for 2 or 3 afterwards. From then on no further leaks observed.
Brian.

mickeg

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2015, 01:42:50 pm »
And I see a bit of oil weeping, not enough to drip but enough to coat the EX box, left dropout and cable housings so that they turn into dust magnets. 

Peejay

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2015, 03:22:36 pm »
Sorted.....

Not coming from the hollow quick release spindle after all. The larger of the two axle ring gaskets was the problem - new one fitted and now oil tight again.

Pete.

IronMac

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2015, 08:34:04 am »
My Rohloff has always leaked. Yes, there is the usual "misting" that coats everything. Then, there is the occasional drip or two that happens weeks and months after an oil change.