Author Topic: RESOLVED: Wanted - Thorn Layback seatpost 27.2 X 400mm  (Read 4183 times)

Bowland Rider

RESOLVED: Wanted - Thorn Layback seatpost 27.2 X 400mm
« on: March 11, 2012, 03:53:53 pm »
Its currently sold through SJS at this link:

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/thorn-micro-adjust-alloy-seat-post-with-large-lay-back-400mm-x-272mm-prod23725/

They are out of stock and im tired of waiting.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 06:31:52 pm by Bowland Rider »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Wanted: Thorn Layback seatpost 27.2 X 400mm
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 10:19:21 pm »
im tired of waiting.
I can see why you want one. I got one with my Sherpa, and it makes for a much better placement of the Brooks B.17 saddle. The Brooks' saddle rails are short and don't allow much setback on modern frames with seat tube angles more upright than when the saddle was designed. The extra setback allows the clamp to sit squarely in the center of the rails, easing strain on them compared to a post with shorter offset that forces one to cantilever the saddle off the front of the rails, increasing the chance of breakage. I really wouldn't have been able to place my saddle properly in relationship to the BB without the Thorn/Zoom long-layback seatpost.

The bead-blasted finish helps it resist slippage in the seat clamp, and the matte-black anodizing goes well with other dark components or frame colors. I kinda wish Zoom hadn't laser-etched their name so prominently on the sides, but it is...okay, especially for what the post allows in proper fitting.

I hope someone will come through with one for you, or SJS will restock them soonest. In the meantime, if you don't mind polished aluminum and shorter, the Velo-Orange Grand Cru is available with similar offset/setback/layback: http://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/vo-grand-cru-seat-post-long-setback.html Nitto also make a long-layback seatpost in a nice nickel-finish steel, model S84 (brazed construction, with lugs, also shorter): http://www.flickr.com/photos/twotone666/2421189354/

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 10:24:22 pm by Danneaux »

Bowland Rider

Re: RESOLVED: Wanted - Thorn Layback seatpost 27.2 X 400mm
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 06:32:24 pm »
I have ordered a seatpost from SJS cycles :)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: RESOLVED: Wanted - Thorn Layback seatpost 27.2 X 400mm
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 06:47:19 pm »
I have ordered a seatpost from SJS cycles
Yay! I'm glad it has become available to you once again.  ;D

The adjustment notches on this post are very secure but can be a little coarse compared to some others, so here's a tip: If the notch you want is "in-between" what's available, you can reverse the clamp and reassemble. It is very secure, and I have not had my saddle slide in the rails nor has the cradle angle adjustment slipped. The bead-blasted finish gives the seattube clamp good purchase, and it doesn't slip downward.

Another tip: The matte-black anodized finish is very pretty, but can be a bit fragile and prone to scarring, so be sure to grease it thoroughly clear to the end (it is a long post and you also don't want it to eventually gall in place at the lower end) and install it a smidge higher than you want...then work down in small increments to avoid/minimize any scarring/scuffing from a tight fit.

I think you'll be pleased.

Best,

Dan.