Author Topic: New Drain plug with oil change  (Read 9523 times)

6527richardm

New Drain plug with oil change
« on: February 28, 2012, 06:32:55 pm »
I am about to change the oil for the first time. When I spoke to some at Thorn they said that I did not need to use Loctite when i replace the plug.

All of the other information I have looked at suggests that I do any advice on this would be welcome.

Also I am unsure exactly what purpose the Loctite will serve can you help.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: New Drain plug with oil change
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 06:44:01 pm »
Hi All,

Piggybacking on Richard's question...do any of you use PTFE (Teflon) plumber's tape in this application? It would seem ideal for this use, preventing galling yet allowing for a good seal and high vibration resistance. I always had good luck with it on AN hose fittings for race cars. Five complete wraps was the usual rule of thumb, each drawn tight over the layer below.

Best,

Dan.

julk

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 07:01:53 pm »
Richard/Dan,
I must have done a few oil changes by now, nearly always reusing the old drain plug and have only used loctite once.

I have yet to see any oil leak from that point.

I have once seen advice to let the loctite dry before replacing the plug since wet loctite getting into the hub innards could pose a problem.
Julian.

expr

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 10:18:22 pm »
Hi, the use of loctite is almost useless unless you go to the extreme of degreasing the old oil plug and the internal threads of the plug hole. loctite 243 or similar requires an oil free surface to bond to, the very place thats just been covered in oil....

Ptfe, is the better option (if) you can guarantee not to let any stray strands go into the hub as this will cause further problems down the line.

As Ive pointed out in earlier posts an oil change can be done through the sprocket oil seal when the sprocket is removed Ive done this a few times and it works great with no need to use the messy syringe method and making sure the oil plug is leak free.

Julian your right about letting the loctite dry before use "but" the trouble with most loctite adhesives are they are anaerobic which means they will only cure in the absence of air and the pre cured loctite you see on some commercially supplied bolt only comes in bulk packs and requires quite a process to apply and cure dry.

However as most people have found the use of a sealing adhesive is not really required as the plug once seated tends to do a good job of just that.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 10:24:38 pm by expr »

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 10:53:33 pm »
I have in the past used thread lock but for the last few changes I haven't bothered.  I have yet to see any sign of galling on this thread probably because of its oily nature!

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 11:14:17 pm »
Dave, you wisely cautioned...
Ptfe, is the better option (if) you can guarantee not to let any stray strands go into the hub as this will cause further problems down the line.
:o Yeah, that would mitigate against PTFE for me in this application, and should for others. Imagine any little strands of it getting chewed into the works. Horrors. The stuff doesn't shear in oil, it balls up and gums the works (please don't ask how I know this; people are known to suppress traumatic memories... ;)).

Best,

Dan.

sg37409

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 07:51:21 am »
Dd my first oil change recently, used a new plug that came with kit , the threads were already coated with the kind of seal found on shimano threads which I've always assumed was a kind of loctite. Wouldnt bother with ptfe tape.

Relayer

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 08:23:08 am »
I have to say I am baffled by this topic and its previous incarnations, i.e. WHAT IS THE PROBLEM laying out £1.99 a year for a new drain plug?   ???

And this from a Scot where we have a reputation for being tight with money  :o

peddles

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 08:25:28 am »
I've done 4 oil changes now, still using the original plug with no loctite or tape. It's a (relatively) long threaded plug and pinched up tight it stays put and can so easily be checked occassionally.

revelo

« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 04:47:21 pm »
I'm also baffled by this topic. I just got a new Nomad and ordered an oil change kit with it. I haven't yet performed an oil change, but the oil change kit came with a new grub screw (with some white coating on the threads, as mentioned by sg37409) and I intend to use that new screw when I do perform an oil change. Why would anyone want to reuse the old screw rather than the new screw? Maybe some Rohloff oil change kits don't include this screw?

I am far less worried about leaks than stripping the threads in the hub somehow, or clogging them with Loctite and PTFE tape so as to cause some sort of damage.

I covered my screw with a piece of black duct tape (not sure what the name for that is in Britain) which is completely inconspicuous on my black hub. This will (a) stop the screw from coming undone; (b) keep the screw clean and dry.

julk

« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, 05:00:05 pm »
To those who do not understand this topic,

There are some amongst us (me included) who have purchased oil in bulk.
When refilling the hub with this much cheaper oil we use our retained syringes and reuse the filler plug.

I do spend money on my bike, just not on the individual oil filler kits.
Julian.

Relayer

« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2012, 05:47:44 pm »
I have bought/used the oil change kit 2 years running, so now have 2 syringes - one for dirty oil and one for clean oil, hopwever in future I will only buy oil,

The next time I buy anything from SJSC I will add in 5 or 10 new filler plugs - problem solved for years to come.   ;D

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2012, 06:14:02 pm »
The next time I buy anything from SJSC I will add in 5 or 10 new filler plugs
Jim, this sounds the ideal solution, and how much space could a spare cap or two take in the spares sack? I have done much the same with Sherpa, tucking in a spare Problem Solvers emergency derailleur hanger. Small, light, it's unnoticed unless I need it and then I'll be glad I have it. Problem solved, indeed!  :D

Best,

Dan.

6527richardm

« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2012, 07:16:43 pm »
Thanks to all for the helpful replies.

I have bought the oil change kit and it does include a new drain plug.  It seems fairly straight forward to do but I was struggling to see why I needed to use loctite albeit all the instructions I had read suggested i needed it.

Clearly I do not so now you have all eased my mind i will get on with it.

expr

« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2012, 11:17:09 pm »
Dan,

I know what you mean with regards to ptfe i have worked with the stuff in various forms over the past twenty odd years solid, tape, sheet, even a liquid type sealing form, i think they even do a cord now with ptfe impregnated in to it... and like you have also found its failures from time to time.

I have become wise to the various situations that it should be used in and (not).

Julian, I can also echo your thoughts re: the use or non use of loctite as for those asking the questions "why are we even talking about this issue" in respect of the (op) he was merly asking the question should he use it or not and what purpose does it serve.... it had nothing to do with the cost of the drain plug and everything to do with the curiosity of having to use loctite or not and why..

If people don't know, they ask the question, however i still stand my point manually applied loctite or factory cured on the grub screw, unless you degrease the threads to which its being applied it renders the stuff useless.

Dave.