Author Topic: Sun Protection for the follicly challenged  (Read 12514 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Sun Protection for the follicly challenged
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2012, 01:28:04 am »
Hi All!

Progress on the sun-protection front...

I have now sent for and am trialing a Halo Solar Skull Cap & Tail. See: http://store.haloheadband.com/SOLAR-s/37.htm

So far, it seems to be working pretty well, with some minor exceptions and only one problem, which I am on the way to addressing:

Pros:
- Lightweight.
- Flat, overcast seams don't dent my noggin.
- Breathes surprisingly well.
- Surprisingly warm when it is cooler, but comfortable in warm weather..especially if soaked. Kinda like hair.
- No sunburn through my helmet vents, so the claims of sun protection seem good.
- Excellent protection for neck, ears, and side of face, thanks to the tail.
- Built-in sweat gutter at forehead seems to work pretty well.

Cons:
- Have to let helmet occipital strap out several notches to accommodate it; no problem.
- It is one more thing under the helmet, but that can't be helped; no problem.
- The little sweat gutter on the front leaves a bit of a dent but not enough to lobotomize me, so its no problem.
- The big problem comes at my ears. Despite Pete's good explanation, I hadn't fully comprehended the nature of the cap's construction and what it would mean, and this has caused some problems for me (since largely resolved. I think).

The hat consists of four parts:

1) At the top is a sectional skullcap made of a breathable, sun-shielding fabric.
2) Attached to the skullcap is a tail of the same fabric that covers a little less than 180 degrees at the sides and rear and provides excellent sun protection to the scalp, neck, ears, and side of the head.
3) Below the skullcap is a 5.5cm band of soft, brushed elastic material that anchors the hat and holds Part 4 (below) in place to work properly.
4) Heat-bonded to the elastic band at the forehead is a piece of rubbery transfer-like material about 1.3mm thick. It is impermeable and serves as a little gutter to channel sweat away from one's eyes. It works pretty well as a system. If you are bald like me and lack hair on the top of your head, then the skullcap catches, wicks, and evaporates a lot of the persperation. Any extra drips down and soaks into the brushed elastic band. Once that is overloaded, the gutter channels it to the sides where it drips off. It all works better if the elastic holds the gutter tight against the forehad, and that's where I ran into some problems -- not at the forehead, but at the ears.

When I first got it, the elastic pinched the tops of my ears. Bad. Real bad. There's a lot going on in that area, what with my glasses temples, the elastic band of the Halo hat and the two helmet straps, so there isn't a lot of clearance at the tops of my ears. The Halo band has to go over my ears 'cos there isn't enough room behind them even without the glasses. It wasn't bad at first, but after awhile, it gnawed away at me till it made my teeth itch and I couldn't enjoy the scenery as I rode along.

The solution seemed to be to stretch the daylights out of the elastic band, wash it, and then stretch it again while still wet so it biggifies. Once enlarged, it still stays in place fine, the little forehead gutter still works, and now my ears don't feel like they're bleeding. Aternatively, I think I could have taken a v-shaped tuck in the band where it passes over the ears, but if this works it would be ideal. The jury's still out, but it looks more promising with every wearing.  A photo of it in use is here: http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=3896.0;attach=1381

If only it didn't make me resemble Jar-Jar Binks, the most annoying character from Star Wars. Still, it works and if I can rig a cover for my nose, I should be set for my next desert tour. I've added two more SPF50+ rated long-sleeve jerseys to go with the one I have, so I won't have to carryas much sunscreen or remember to re-apply it as frequently. Gettin' there.

Best,

Dan.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2012, 01:47:30 am »
Glad you've found something that works, Dan. I recently got a visor buff:

https://www.buffwear.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/92

so far it seems comfortable and works well. I haven't given it any very rigorous testing though. E.g. how much sweat can it handle, or how much sun will it block. But I have been wearing it and it's working for my limited needs.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2012, 02:17:12 am »
I recently got a visor buff
That looks like a really good solution, Jim, with many advantages. I wish the referenced site had included some photos of it worn under a helmet.

If you're feeling brave, might you consider posting a photo or two of yours on alone, and worn under a helmet? My big problem with a visor is getting it to clear my glasses when it is squashed down under the helmet brim.

And, of course, there's the Big Question...what color/pattern did you choose? A number look really good. The Halo just comes in black and white but I suppose that's okay given the goal is to stay cool and unburned by the sun... <grumble> ...the Halo Skullcap and Tail doesn't look as stylishly cool as yours and style counts for somethin'.

Best,

Dan.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2012, 03:20:20 am »
If you're feeling brave,

Maybe it will take more bravery for folks actually to look at these gruesome self portraits, but here you go!

The pattern is "Madiva 2"

and here is one from the road, from which you can see that the buff tends to come off the bottom of my ears. Can I arrange things to prevent this?

Well, the fun thing about the buff is that a person can wear it multiple ways! Here is another possibility:

This method feels a bit snug for me.

But this next one seems comfortable and to give good coverage:

I haven't tried riding with it this way though, so this is just a very preliminary report!

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2012, 03:32:34 am »
Well!

That's just outstanding, Jim!  Simply outstanding!

First off, you look really cool.

Second of all, I wish I looked cool like that. The Jar-Jar Binks look just isn't cutting it.

All kidding aside, I really like the versatility of your buff. I wish I could work out just how you get the tube effect around your mouth. That would be so very useful in the occasional sandstorm and would perhaps allow me to leave home the dust masks I carry for those occasions.

The visor looks to be a simple sheet of neoprene, and therefore flexible. No sign of interference with the bottom of the helmet or your glasses.

Really great pattern, too.

Is the fabric kind of a Lycra-y material?

Really good ear coverage without pinching, too. Mine still pinches, but less than it did, making me hopeful. Yours doesn't pinch at all.

Did the company give an SPF rating?

Is it fairly cool (temperature-wise) when you ride with it?

I was a little concerned about neck coverage till I saw the last three photos, and those show it really does a good job.

Boy, Jim, I think you've really got a winner, here. It looks like the solution I was seeking, and now I am seriously considering one. Looking forward to your first "ride with" report on how it does for you. Really impressed!

Thanks so much for the photos; looking good!

Best,

Dan.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2012, 03:42:56 am »
Here is a video that will help reveal some of the games one can play with a buff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z02rv8Dp-E

It's Coolmax fabric so quite reasonable in the heat. The website someplace says it cuts 95% of UV, so is that the same as SPF 20???

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2012, 03:48:44 am »
Here is a video...
Ever more impressed, Jim.

Did you have to open-up your helmet straps any to accommodate the visor buff, and were lumps under the helmet any problem?

Thanks so much for your information and patience on this. I just don't want to look (yet again) like the Parboiled Danneaux that appears in the opening photo to this thread (and my dermatologist says it may already be "too late" as in I've topped out long ago on "safe" sun exposure).

Best,

Dan.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2012, 03:58:01 am »
Did you have to open-up your helmet straps any to accommodate the visor buff, and were lumps under the helmet any problem?

No, I haven't felt any lumps at all and I haven't adjust the straps. My helmet has another adjustment at the back, that tightens or loosens the circumference. I do find myself tweaking that a bit. I keep my helmet pretty snug.

I think it's actually CoolMax Extreme fabric, whatever that is. I wish I could find any actual SPF rating. If my guess of 20 is correct, then probably you'd want to augment it with lotion too. I tan reasonably well so sun exposure isn't too big an issue for me. I hope you find a solution that works for you!

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2012, 04:05:09 am »
http://www.mybuff.com.au/products/high-uv-buff/

Yeah, spf 20 looks accurate. Not perfect but not too bad either.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2012, 02:06:18 pm »
This is a good video too, showing ways to wear a visor buff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaRY2Qc02wo&feature=related

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2012, 12:39:09 am »
The ride I'd registered for was going to be a challenge:

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/91317041

but then I missed a turn:

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/96862877

The temperature was up in the 80s, quite sunny, not too humid. I wore the visor buff almost the whole ride, just not at the very beginning and end. I used the third, or final, configuration from that set I posted a few days ago. Happy to report that it worked quite well from a comfort point of view. I didn't have any problem with sweat or any other discomfort from the visor buff.

Two extra category 3 hills! I am beat!

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2012, 01:17:05 am »
My, Jim, you did really well on your ride!  Well done!  I see I need to register to view that first link, but the second comes through just fine. Looking at the profiles for those climbs....one of 2,200 feet followed by the other at 2,100 feet, and both looking like walls in the contour graphs. Man! Sure glad to hear the humidity was down. When I spent that year in Mississippi I never quite adjusted. I'd step out of the shower fresh and clean and 20 paces out the front door, it felt like I'd stepped onto the surface of Venus -- 92F and 97% humidity -- and soaked to the skin.

How terrific hearing the visor buff worked well in practice!  I was hoping it would for you, and now your report makes me look very seriously toward getting one myself. <nods> Yes, I might have to add a little layer or something for the top of my noggin to boost the SPS20 rating, but that would be doable. I'm pretty impressed by the functional versatility of your visor buff.

For those of us who are follicly challenged, it can be hard to remember just what hair felt like, but I know it used to be cooler on hot days! I wore my Halo with Tail on a warm day, and was surprised to find it more comfortable than not. It would be neat to see how much evaporative cooling would take place if they were pre-wet with cool water. I'm guessing it could make a real difference in comfort.

A real good ride for you, Jim, and you did well. How do you feel about the upcoming Erie run now you've got a bit more mileage under you? I think you're going to do really well...

Best,

Dan.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2012, 02:23:33 am »
I see I need to register to view that first link, but the second comes through just fine.

Sorry about that. The first was the official Tour de Pepacton route. I created the second when I got home. They didn't hand out maps or cue sheets and there where only a few arrows along the route. There was an arrow at the turn before the one I missed. I looked carefully at the turn I missed and couldn't see any arrow, so I figured I was supposed to go straight. After a while I just figured I'd find my way back one way or another!

I asked for a county map at the grocery store right by the ride start, but they don't sell maps there. After I got lost and when I finally came across a little not-quite-town... the lady behind the counter at the antique store that had been a gas station not too long ago, she looked at me funny - who needs maps, everybody knows their way around here! Bless her, she gave me very accurate directions to get me back on route. Finally I came across a big town and found a county map. Sure wish I'd had that to start with!

Looking at the profiles for those climbs....one of 2,200 feet followed by the other at 2,100 feet, and both looking like walls in the contour graphs.

Well, that's the altitude at the top, but I was starting around 1300 feet, so that's only maybe 800 feet. But that second big climb, the software is telling me it was a 19% grade. That really took it out of me! Very nice to cool down, taking it easy on the other side!

I'd step out of the shower fresh and clean and 20 paces out the front door, it felt like I'd stepped onto the surface of Venus -- 92F and 97% humidity -- and soaked to the skin.

My second two years of high school were in Indiana. Weeks of 98F, 98% humidity. I know what you mean!

boost the SPS20 rating,

Yeah, I can't really report so much on that aspect of the buff. I'm pretty tan by now. I didn't have any lotion on my ears and they feel fine right now, but I am not such a sensitive detector.

How do you feel about the upcoming Erie run now you've got a bit more mileage under you?

I think at this point I am going to throttle back a bit. Maybe one more longish ride in a couple weeks. I don't want to overdo it and get so sick of riding that I am not looking forward to 400 miles in 8 days. Mostly I just want to ride regularly without pushing the intensity too hard. The Canal ride is really flat. I think now it is mostly just a matter of a month of maintenance and having some fun with it too.

Getting the teenager out, that's the bigger challenge. Prom, final exams, high school graduation, college orientation. He's a busy kid!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 02:27:16 am by JimK »

il padrone

« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2012, 08:07:59 am »
Teenagers are....... well, teenagers!!

My daughter did just two training rides before she came to Tasmania and did a 1000km ride with us. I think she reasoned that if she was riding faster than mum on the first 40km ride she'd be OK for Tassie. Later she did a very wet weekend camping tour (just 80-90kms total), that was good value to harden up her tolerance for adverse conditions.

She had no real problems in Tasmania. She walked a few hills, especially sections of the 12km climb up the Great Western Tiers and the 20% climb over The Dazzler Range, but otherwise handled the riding extremely well. Even when she crashed quite badly on day 1  :o, she was able to get back on and continue.

Cambirder

« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2012, 09:42:16 am »
I think I would get far too hot wrapping my head in a buff. Sunblock works fine for me and the air can still get to the skin.