Author Topic: Sherpa Mk3  (Read 20766 times)

jlg

Re: Sherpa Mk3
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2012, 07:13:30 pm »

Pictures of new Sherpa Mk3 frames and forks are in the shop:

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/thorn-sherpa-frames-dept664_pg1/

I like the long head tubes.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2012, 07:16:54 pm »
Oh, nicely found, jlg!

Yes, the extended headtube will address critics of the number of spacers used in the past, as well as provide a longer axis between headset cups.

There's also a "real" seat collar (like the Nomad) instead of some brazed-on bosses.

It certainly looks nice; that glossy finish on the red is unreal!

Best,

Dan.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2012, 07:23:34 pm »
To quickly add to my previous comments...

Have you noticed there is a new logo?

That step-through design is particularly nicely done, with a trapezoid, a parallelogram, and triangulation.

It would also get the handlebars up nicely using few spacers. Really intriguing bottle-boss placement. I'm thinking the rear v-brake cable housing will likely approach from the front or below.

I've always been intrigued by mixte and other accessible frame designs, and this one looks a corker.

Best,

Dan. (who has already set to work with drawing tools to see where the virtual top tube "would" be...I have friends who will find this model appealing)

rualexander

« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2012, 11:49:27 pm »
Looks good, extended head tube is definitely an improvement.
Think I like the old Thorn logo better though.

New Raven frames are also on the website :

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/thorn-raven-frame-black-prod27984/

And the forks to go with both the Sherpa and the Raven :

Heavy duty fork http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/thorn-st1-1-1-8-inch-ahead-fork-black-prod27986/

Light duty fork http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/thorn-c2-1-1-8-inch-ahead-fork-black-prod27988/

Philb

« Reply #49 on: July 28, 2012, 12:44:30 am »
Hi All. What the tubing on the new Sherpa model as I noticed on of the forks was 853?

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #50 on: July 28, 2012, 08:54:31 am »
Hi Phil!

The new Sherpa Mk3 uses the same Thorn 969 chro-moly tubing as before, but in different diameters and with revised sizes and geometry.

As the brochure indicates (Issue 20, late Spring 2012, pg 16, here: http://www.sjscycles.com/thornpdf/ThornSherpaBroHiRes.pdf )...
The smallest frames now use standard-size tubing (1" top tube, 1-1/8" down tube).
The small- to medium-size frames use oversize tubing (1-1/8" top, 1-1/4" down tube).
The large frames use extra-oversize tubes (1-1/4" top tube, 1-3/8" down tube).

The frame sizes have changed, and these tubing diameters are distributed differently among the frame sizes than they were for the Mk2 Sherpa. With the Mk3 Sherpas, Andy has taken the opportunity to more directly match tubing sizes to frame size and expected rider weight (for example...smaller riders are also lighter and get smaller frames and lighter, smaller-diameter tubing. The smaller-diameter tubing is still proportionally stiff because shorter lengths are used). The cargo capacites differ from the earlier range.

The standard fork is made from Reynolds SuperTourist cro-mo, and are designated ST-1 in the brochure. This is a heavier-duty fork than before and has an uprated cargo capacty according to the load charts in the brochure. It has bosses to mount Low-Loader pannier racks.

The lightweight fork is made from competition-weight Reynolds 853. This lighter fork lacks low-rider (Low-Loader) pannier rack bosses. This fork is intended for commuting and light touring. The brochure says this light fork can make the Sherpa a "formidable balloon bike".

Andy notes that both forks will take a 2.15" tire if desired, and both forks have mounting bosses for mudguards.

Best,

Dan.

gover_1

« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2012, 11:15:33 pm »
So, as a mk2 Sherpa owner ( build in progress) I personally went for a Sherpa as a rugged load carrier, I intend to cycle camp solo frequently on mine. My current stead, a 531st Claud buttler bought from sjs by my father before thorn appeared as their in house brand seems about up to my current needs; but when under load it feels like the headset and seat tube are connected by bungie cord. This disconcerting feeling made me look for an alternative, the Sherpa representing an entire rethink off touring bikes (as a posed to the club tour which seems to me a refinement of a classic design ) attracted my eye.

So, back on topic. The sherpa for me is all about carrying capacity, so how do I feel as a recent purchaser of mk ii when the mk iii has just arrived? Well on the plus side: my mk ii has a higher load carrying capacity for its size than the mk iii equivalent due to the move to over vs super over size tubing in the middle sizes. However the new standard fork seems to be stronger \ more robust. A win lose situation therefore

I have no plans to do so but do we expect the mk iii fork to fit the mk ii frame, if not how long do we expect sjs to stock spare mkii forks? Should we be investing spares in spares?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 11:18:25 pm by gover_1 »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2012, 11:42:29 pm »
Hi Mark!

The new Mk3 fork will fit the Mk2 frame, so you would always have that option.

In practical terms, forks don't really fail apart from the frame. Forks mostly fail from accidentally running at speed into curbs and such or being hit by cars, and if that happens...well, the frame usually buckles just behind the head- and downtubes, so you'd be out a frame anyway in that case (and awfully lucky to avoid getting Badly Hurt).

So, I wouldn't worry too much about laying-in spare forks. The Mk3 fork would do fine as a replacement if needed (and is cosmetically identical except for the tubing logo on the side and the tiny wheel-retention tabs ["lawyer's lips"]). The only possible difference might be a slightly stiffer ride from the heavier-gauge fork blades, but it would be a minimal difference at best. Most of the suspension comes from the compliance of the front tire and is dependent on the section width, profile, and pressure used.

I think you'll be pleased with your Sherpa for its intended purpose. Many have been used successfully worldwide in just that way, and -- if anything -- you'll enjoy the greater load capacity of the Mk2 frame as you mentioned. If you ever wish to increase the rated front carrying capacity, you could go with a replacement fork, which is surprisingly reasonable at ~£100 with complete braze-ons and powdercoated to match in original colors:
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/thorn-sherpa-1-1-8-inch-ahead-531st-fork-matted-black-prod15597/

Congratulations on your soon-to-arrive Sherpa. Pictures! Eagerly awaiting any photos you may wish to post in the gallery, Mark. Looking forward to the Day of Arrival for you! A couple questions -- what size and color did you get, and have you chosen a name?

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 12:54:46 am by Danneaux »