Author Topic: Any (other) cycling geocachers among us?  (Read 1741 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Any (other) cycling geocachers among us?
« on: February 14, 2012, 02:39:41 am »
Hi All,

Geocaching is an activity where you use your GPS to find a cache located at coordinates published online, sometimes with clues and sometimes not. One of the most popular sites is http://www.geocaching.com/ , and they describe it as
...a real-world outdoor treasure hunting game. Players try to locate hidden containers, called geocaches, using GPS-enabled devices and then share their experiences online.
One needn't have a dedicated GPS; many recent smartphones have apps available that work in conjunction with each phone's built-in GPS and those can work surprisingly well.

I'm rubbish at finding them, but use my bike as a quick way to check daily on the "trap-line" of 25 caches I placed and maintain in my immediate area, and looking for caches along the way has freshened up many of my favorite long-distance riding loops that had gone stale. Sometimes, looking for a cache gives me an excuse to explore an overlooked byway or side road, and even if I don't find the cache, I always find a little extra adventure beyond what I would have otherwise. It is a great way to combine cycling and cycle-touring with the fun of a search and the thrill of a find.

Another variant that was around long before the GPS version of geocaching was called "letter-boxing", and used compass coordinates and clues to find similar "hides" or little containers of logbook and registry stamps. Those have made for some interesting off-road rides of the "rough-stuff" type.

Does anyone else do this?

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 05:52:54 pm by Danneaux »