Author Topic: Pacific Outdoor Rear Panniers  (Read 3775 times)

6527richardm

Pacific Outdoor Rear Panniers
« on: February 06, 2012, 07:13:25 pm »
SJS are selling Pacific rear panniers for £99 down from £129.99 has anyone used them?
They seem to be well made and recently featured in CTC Cycle magazine they are also light weight.
Can't decide whether to order them or stick to Ortlieb which have an excellent reputation and views?

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Pacific Outdoor Rear Panniers
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 09:28:44 pm »
I can weigh in with an opinion...

The basic bags look good and come in several offerings -- there's a small cubelike version with a roll-top intended for front racks, and two versions for the back. They both have roll-tops, but the larger also has an external pocket (rear, when mounted on the bike) and top-cap that "floats" above the roll and has a mesh compartment inside. All very neat.

I contacted POE in Fall 2010, offering to do some testing for them on one of my trips the following Spring. I sent them my resume of test evaluations I had performed and written for a number of manufacturers over the years. They immediately accepted, verified my mailing address, and told me to await further contact and to receive a full set by mail. The old year ended, the new one arrived, and there was no reply to my inquiries. Finally, as my deadline approached, one of my emails bore fruit and I was told nothing in their line matched the capacity of my Ortlieb BikePacker Plus rear and SportPacker Plus front bags and so they couldn't supply me as promised and there was some confusion about locating stock and the person I had been dealing with. Fortunately, I had my Ortliebs and another couple sets of panniers to choose from or I would have been in a bind. I found the size issue very puzzling based on their published capacities, but digging 'round the 'Net I found several tests that led me to believe the published capacities were/are in error. As a result, I would really suggest double-checking the volumes based on the stated dimensions.

*[EDIT: POE's measurements are still confusing. I checked their website ( http://pacoutdoor.com/bike-gear/messenger-bags ) a few minutes ago, and in their EXP (expedition) line, the Rear Bike Pannier is still listed as 44l. The much larger Super Rear Bike Pannier with rear pocket and top-cap pocket is listed at only 33l. The Small Bike (front) Pannier is shown at 18l capacity. Every dealer description I've seen has repeated these figures. In contrast, my Ortlieb BikePacker Plus rear panniers are listed at 44l/pr, and my front SportPacker Plus panniers are listed by Ortlieb as 30l/pr. Ortlieb's volumes are per pair by model and I have found their measurements to be accurate. See: http://www.ortlieb.com/_pdf_en/radtasche_en.pdf ].

While I haven't ridden with the bags, I have examined them extensively, thanks to a shop-owner friend. The panniers all use the Rixen & Kaul mounting system. It consists of plastic hooks that go over the rack rails and are secured by a ratcheting overlay that captures the rack. It is secure, but not as quick on/off or as adjustable as Ortlieb's design, either laterally or in terms of the rack diameters it will accomodate. At the bottom, there is a rail-and-hook arrangement to capture the bag to the rack strut, but it does not have the oval design or adjustability of Ortlieb's.

I didn't have the POEs ready-to-hand to compare with the truck-tarp or Cordura Ortliebs, but my impression is the slick-finished POEs are a bit lighter gauge than what Ortlieb uses and might be less tear- or abrasion-resistant in use, but that impression is based on some extensive handling rather than actual use and comparison. Certainly, it feels lighter and more flexible to the hand. The seams are welded in a fashion similar to Ortlieb's, and build quality appeared high. Some features really appealed to me, like the zippered slash side pocket with built-in drain holes, and the floating top-cap that could be removed entirely, adjusted for load, or used for storage. The color combinations are nice and the basic designs are well-thought. The rear bags are asymmetrical for enhanced heel clearance.

Oddly enough, POE stuff seems to be more widely available in Europe and the UK than in the States, from what I've seen.  Based on my (handling, not use) impressions, I think they would be a good waterproof bag for something less than extended extreme use, thanks to the apparently lighter fabric. So long as you double-check the actual capacity and get models suitably sized for your needs, they might work out well for you. The only failures I have heard of (or seen) were three instances in which the clear plastic Fastex-like buckles had fractured. I understand POE replaced one under warranty (reports of their warranty support have been good, even after an extended period of time). The other party paid for a local repair, and the other effected a repair herself with a replacement fastener.

Keep in mind that bicycle panniers and luggage often go on sale in the Fall and again in early Spring, before high-season demand, and even the more expensive bags can sometimes be had for less. My Ortlieb SportPackers were only USD$74, when I combined a sale credit, sale coupon, and seasonal sale. The BikePackers ended up 20% less than the store's usual offering price by buying when they came on sale. POE's offerings are frequently available on heavy discount from Sierra Trading Post, so it can pay to check there as well: http://www.sierratradingpost.com/  POE's Dry Hive seat bags are currently discounted 35% from list there now.

Hope this helps,

Dan.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 08:10:25 am by Danneaux »

6527richardm

Re: Pacific Outdoor Rear Panniers
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 10:07:38 pm »
Dan thanks for the helpful reply. The bags advertise that they have the same 44l capacity as the Ortliebs so I had assumed they would come out the same but obviously not. AS they weighed less and came with good fixings (and a good price) I was drawn to them and particularly liked the outside zip pocket but ultimately I may be better to go for the bike packers which I can pick up for about the same price. Unless others have tried the Pacific's and would recommend them over the Backpackers