Author Topic: Best Touring Tent  (Read 65396 times)

jags

Re: Best Touring Tent
« Reply #90 on: July 24, 2017, 10:51:22 pm »
great tent  but man is it expensive  :o
still say no more if your happy thats all that counts. 8)

happy camping.

jags.

jul

« Reply #91 on: July 25, 2017, 03:04:07 am »

happy camping.

jags.

Thanks but i bought my tent half price so 321 euros bargain jags ! 😉

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #92 on: July 25, 2017, 03:35:04 am »
What a lovely tent, Julien! All best wishes for many happy times with it; looking forward about hearing how it works for you.

Congratulations on a successful end to a long search!

All the best,

Dan.

jags

« Reply #93 on: July 25, 2017, 07:53:44 pm »

happy camping.

jags.

Thanks but i bought my tent half price so 321 euros bargain jags ! 😉

for sure best of luck with it.

jags

jul

« Reply #94 on: July 29, 2017, 12:30:00 pm »
Thanks to you

Bag size with footprint inside : 50x16 cm
2.6 kg

« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 01:58:01 pm by julio »

jags

« Reply #95 on: July 29, 2017, 03:35:46 pm »
Well done enjoy your camping you certainly
Have a class tent to keep you from any bad weather will u cook in it .

Anto.

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #96 on: September 10, 2017, 09:54:02 pm »
That is one nice tent, Julian. It's strangely similar to a Chinese tent that I got recently. The NatureHike Cloud UP 2 is very well made but it doesn't have the large porch, however it weighs in at around 1.8Kg - £72 with free footprint. I also got a Vango Omega 250 which is ginormous with a large porch that I can get Scout into but it's 4.19Kg :(  My requirements are a little different to most folks as I have my dog, Hamish (and his trailer!), to consider. I've had both up on the lawn but not yet used them for real. I'm now worried about all the weight to be loaded on to a Thorn RST and my ability to propel the whole thing........ and don't even talk to me about getting it all on a train ??? ::)

Janet
Scout & Bettina's slave!

jags

« Reply #97 on: September 10, 2017, 10:22:08 pm »
i have a nature hike cloud up 2  haven't used it as yet but yeah it's probably as good as any other tent ,mind u i'm no tent expert but sure if it keeps out wind and rain  jobs a good one  ;)

anto.

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #98 on: September 11, 2017, 07:38:52 pm »
Anto, have you seen the review of the Cloud on YouTube? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17XT1P3Ipd8 and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOhHpiZ9_oA
The reviewer gives some good tips for getting round a problem with the design.

Janet
Scout & Bettina's slave!

jags

« Reply #99 on: September 11, 2017, 08:15:47 pm »
cheers Janet i'll pop over there now.
wife away on holidays so im here alone totally fed up :'( :'( :'(
 so utube here i come.

anto.
thanks.

jags

« Reply #100 on: September 11, 2017, 09:23:57 pm »
Yes seen it I also made the improvement,s  rather have my mountain hardware t ho.

jul

« Reply #101 on: September 24, 2017, 02:52:09 pm »
Hi all,

I've a question for americans only ..  :)

About the Tarptent double rainbow : http://www.tarptent.com/double-rainbow.html

How much does it cost for you ? (shipping included)

In France we can get this tent for 435 e  (520 $)

horizon

« Reply #102 on: September 24, 2017, 03:15:17 pm »
Danneaux wrote: My Dutch friend chose a Tatonka Alaska 3-person tent for his "luxury item", and won't be without it for solo tours despite a weight of 4.5-5kg. It is large enough to easily house his bicycle in the front vestibule, and I certainly enjoyed using it when we toured together in Europe, and I was able to pitch it quickly alone, as was he. Sleeping soundly at night makes a tremendous difference toward feeling happy and well the next day and all the days to follow on a long tour. Looked at that way, a 5kg tent is a pretty reasonable weight.

That's a little heretical these days but I happen to agree with it. I also have a 1.5kg tent for faster journeys but those 12 hours spent in the tent are worth carrying the weight for.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 03:17:59 pm by horizon »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #103 on: September 24, 2017, 03:55:51 pm »
I've a question for americans only ..
Hi Julien!

PM sent.

All the best,

Dan.

John Saxby

« Reply #104 on: September 24, 2017, 04:06:33 pm »
How much does it cost for you ? (shipping included)

Julio,

The price of my Tarptent DW Moment (one-person) was similar to that of the Dual Rainbow: USD 290 plus a few extras, plus USD 20 shipping to Canada.

Since then, the US Postal Service has jacked up its rates for parcels to Canada, so much so that I rarely get larger items from the States these days, even with the slightly-better exchange rates now in place.

A couple of observations on Tarptents, from my experience:

1)    I've found them to be very well made and well designed. The DW Moment, for example, offers excellent space for weight, the best of any tent I've had.

2)    If you expect to use the tent for tours longer than a few weeks, or if you're big and/or long, then I'd invest in the extra space.  I'm about 1.8 metres tall, and 83-85 kg.  My DW Moment is fine for me for tours of up to a month. For a longer period, I'd opt for something larger.  An example: I met up with a French fellow on my two-week tour of Eastern Ontario earlier this month. He was using a larger 2-person tent (by Vaude, I think), as he was on a Vancouver-to-Newfoundland trip, nearly 3 months; and, he was taller than me, 1.86 metres.

3)    I was doubtful about the Rainbow's single-wall construction, because of (i) condensation; and (ii) bugs. Both are problems where I live; neither was much of a problem on my monthlong trip in the Rocky Mtns and the Pacific Northwest last summer.  You could handle bugs by buying the Rainbow's optional internal liner.  I don't know about answers for condensation with the Rainbow. The DW Moment has very good ventilation from both ends, and ventilation is  also aided by the internal liner, which allows me to open at least one side vestibule at night. Also bear in mind that with the Rainbow, you have to purchase the alu or carbon support poles. (Or use your own trekking poles.)

4)    The one aspect of pitching the tent, which I have found is often fiddly, is this:  My DW Moment uses a single hoop pole (similar to the Rainbow Dual, as I look at the photos of the Rainbow.)  I have found it less-than-easy to thread the hoop pole quickly into its tube when pitching the tent; and also to take it out when taking the tent down.  My hoop pole (anodized alu) binds on the tube, especially if the pole or the nylon fabric is damp, so that this single operation can take me a few minutes.  Maybe a more spacious tube would help?

Hope that's helpful, and good luck.

John