Author Topic: Best Touring Tent  (Read 65376 times)

julk

Re: Best Touring Tent
« Reply #75 on: March 17, 2017, 02:25:21 pm »
I used to have N+ 2 tents, but some have now gone away as offspring have ‘borrowed’ them permanently.
My favourite remaining brands are Hilleberg and Helsport.
Julian

jul

« Reply #76 on: March 17, 2017, 02:34:58 pm »
I love the Hilleberg Allak tent but it is really to expensive for a tent in my eyes, even the hilleberg Soulo,it seems great !

About Helsport, there are the Riensfjell pro and Reinsfjell superlight for 2kg, splendide tent also !

I doubt, it's difficult to choose the perfect tent for its needs 

I don't know if i want a solo with one abside or a two persons with two absides for more space and comfort..

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #77 on: March 17, 2017, 02:59:23 pm »
A gently contrarian view:

It is possible to carry a tent that is to big! On my 2008 European tour, I did the Dutch and Belgian portion with a Dutch friend using his new tent, a Tatonka Alaska 3 DLX: http://www.tatonka.com/en/Tents-Tarps/3-Person-Tents/Alaska-3-DLX/2584?colorid=208

It was incredibly roomy and could have likely housed two bikes in the generous vestibule, though we didn't try. Trouble is the thing required 4.3m in length alone by the time the lines were stretched out. It was wide, too. Even at Natuurkampeerterrein ("natural" campsites), we struggled to find pitches large enough for it.

In stark contrast, I use one-person tenst with minimal line extension for ledge camping in places where there's often just enough space for the tent and bike lined up end-to-end, side-by side, or in an "L"-shape. Point is, there's not always a lot of room to pitch a big tent, so that can be a consideration.

Silly as it might sound, I cut up an old tarp to the dimension of one tent I considered, just so I could actually see how much room it took and what shape. It was a *lot* bigger than it looked in the diagram! ??? Though I wanted it very much (or thought I did), it simply wouldn't have worked for the size and kind of wild campsites I use most often. My tent use is a little different from others, too. I use mine only for sleeping and typically ride through bad weather instead of waiting it out. That makes a huge difference for use and requirements.

Just something to think about.

Best,

Dan.

jags

« Reply #78 on: March 17, 2017, 03:11:59 pm »
Julio to me 600 is a lot of money for any tent I don't care what label is on it.I'd safely say if you shopped around you would pick one up at half the price.the hilli nallo 2 is  lovely tent I toured with a friend from the uk he uses the nallo I use the mountain hardware.looks a lot like the nallo but  bit bulkier not a lot of difference in weight but its a lot less money.keep hunting julio.

mickeg

« Reply #79 on: March 17, 2017, 03:40:21 pm »
After carrying a tent that was either too small for both me and my stuff or carrying a tent that was too heavy, I finally decided to buy the Big Agnes Scout Plus.  It is a two person tent with vestibule that is designed for ultra light backpacking.  No poles included, instead you are supposed to use two walking (or trekking) poles.  And it is a single wall tent to cut weight.  I got lucky and got an older version of it on a clearance price for better than half off.

I had a decades old A frame tent in storage that I have not used for decades, I robbed some of the poles from that to cut to length for this new tent since when I am cycling I am not carrying any trekking poles.

Reviews on line indicated that some people hated it, the single wall design meant that in humid conditions it was prone to having a lot of moisture buildup on the inside of the roof in the tent.  But that was pretty much the only complaint I saw on line by other users.  I was hoping that with one person in the tent instead of two that excess moisture would not be too much of a problem since I plan to use it as a solo tent.

I used it for my most recent trip, two weeks of cycle touring in hot humid conditions in South Florida.  Worked great except there were two foggy mornings where there certainly was a lot of moisture built up on the inside of the tent roof that would rain down on me if I bumped the tent.  If there were two people in the tent so that both people would have the roof lower above them, I am sure it would have been harder to avoid getting wet from the wet ceiling, but for me as a solo it was more of an irritant than a serious problem.  Alone, I could do almost everything I needed to do inside the tent without touching the wet ceiling.

The other problem is that it is not a self supporting tent.  Usually that is not a problem, but it certainly was inconvenient when I had to set up the tent on a wood platform in a wetlands area where tent pegs would not work.  I had some spare cord that I had to cut for extra lines to try to deal with an inability to put in stakes.  And I stuck some twigs between the planking. 

Weight - 1035 grams, the poles that I cut to use with it are 280 grams.  (I measured these numbers, might differ from published specs.)  I did not buy the footprint, thus weight does not include that.

Bottom line - I really liked the tent and probably will use it for most future cycle touring. 

I looked thru my photos and only found one good photo of the tent, it is on the platform that I cited above.  There was a roof over the platform, so most of the tent is in shade, but unfortunately I do not have other good photos to show.

I have just seen that MSR have launched two cycle touring specific tents called the Tour 1 and Tour 2. They are basically the Hubba with a gear shed and the Hubba Hubba with a gear shed. Interestingly the tent poles are now external to the fly allowing the tent to be put up in bad conditions without getting wet. As a Hubba Hubba fan, this could be even better for poor weather cycle touring.

Details here ...

https://www.msrgear.com/ie/tents/hubba-tour-1
https://www.msrgear.com/ie/tents/hubba-tour-2

And a good review with some photographs here ...

https://www.pannier.cc/journal/introducing-the-msr-hubba-tour-tent

A couple years ago REI (major USA camping goods retailer) bundled a Hubba Hubba with a separate gear shed similar to that.  I ordered one, but when I went to pick it up it was quite heavy.  They had advertised the total weight with the gear shed but they cited a weight that was specific to the tent without gear shed.  I chose to return it without even opening the box.

jul

« Reply #80 on: March 17, 2017, 03:49:51 pm »
You're right jags, i'm never spend this money for a tent, my last i bought it 150 euros (50% discount)

If i compare the Fjallraven with the Hubba Hubba, even at 600 euros it's two time the price of H.Hubba.

And as you said 300 euros it's also money for a tent..

Hi Dan ! tell me.. when you use your solo tent, where do you stock your Ortlieb panniers, i think you don't have enough space for stock them inside.. isn't it ?

Fine your tent Mickeg ! but as well, i undecided if i choose a superlight tent like yours or more heavy for the durability ..
Big Agnes, Tarptent, MSR H.Hubba are superlight but that means too fragile ..
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 04:13:10 pm by julio »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #81 on: March 17, 2017, 04:40:41 pm »
Julien,

Don't forget to check the archives for tent discussions. It is an evergreen topic because it is so much fun. Be sure to check out this thread:
http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=9905.0
Hi Dan ! tell me.. when you use your solo tent, where do you stock your Ortlieb panniers, i think you don't have enough space for stock them inside.. isn't it ?
There's always room in my tent for my helmet at the foot of my sleeping bag, and for my handlebar bag by my head. The vestibule has enough room to hold all four of my panniers. I used it to conceal all my panniers while sightseeing away from the campings owned by friends in Belgium. Photos below.

I sometimes place the bags inside the vestibule at night. With my full-zip side entry, I just move one bag to get in and out easily. They remain under cover, dry and accessible if I need something from them and the tent has enough room for me to sit fully upright and easily change clothes inside. When wild camping alone in the middle of nowhere and theft or animals are not a problem, I leave the panniers on my upright bike and use it like I would a bureau or armoire.

All best wishes for finding the ideal tent for your needs, Julien. I am eagerly looking forward to your choice.

Dan.

leftpoole

« Reply #82 on: March 19, 2017, 09:52:42 am »
Julio to me 600 is a lot of money for any tent I don't care what label is on it.I'd safely say if you shopped around you would pick one up at half the price.the hilli nallo 2 is  lovely tent I toured with a friend from the uk he uses the nallo I use the mountain hardware.looks a lot like the nallo but  bit bulkier not a lot of difference in weight but its a lot less money.keep hunting julio.

The Nallo 2 material would withstand far greater wind/storm than almost any other tent. Constant complaints about Hilleberg are rather annoying. Hilleberg are manufactured to a very very high specification . It is all a matter of personal opinion regarding size etc but quality is not able to be copied! A Hilleberg nallo is I believe now up to £835!
John
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 11:45:43 am by leftpoole »

bobs

« Reply #83 on: March 19, 2017, 12:07:23 pm »
+1

bobs

« Reply #84 on: March 19, 2017, 04:22:09 pm »
You pays your money  and takes your chance.  I'm too old for camping so prefer hostels or b&b.

Bob

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #85 on: March 19, 2017, 04:44:21 pm »
£800+ is way too much for me as well but I'll agree with Bob, youth hostels are looking good ;)

Janet
Scout & Bettina's slave!

DAntrim

« Reply #86 on: March 19, 2017, 08:27:07 pm »
I've been using the Mini Peak II for the last year. It is very roomy for solo use and have not needed to seal the seams, though it is recommended. I purchased the tarp pole to go with it as it is designed to be used with a walking pole.

http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/shelters-1/WF126.html.

Carlos

jul

« Reply #87 on: July 23, 2017, 03:18:18 pm »
Hi all !

I found my tent :)
It was a difficult choice to find my tent because any tent is perfect.. finally i choose a good compromise i think.

My criteria was:

Enought space inside for one or two persons
An abside enought spacious to cook and store my stuff
A light tent for use with my bike or for trekking
A tent where i could use only the double roof as a tarp (bad weather) or only the interior room (good weather)
Full freestanding

I bought it new with 50% discount so 321 euros and i planning to buy the footprint separately (40e)

and curiously i broke down for a Vaude Hogan sul xt 2-3p

http://www.exxpozed.com/vaude-hogan-sul-xt-2-3p.html#

« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 03:48:17 pm by julio »

in4

« Reply #88 on: July 24, 2017, 12:17:01 am »
Oops! I missed out the SUL bit there.

I'll leave this link up anyway as a reference point for Vaude tents; I used to have one too and was very pleased with it. I now have a ME Dragonfly XT. Fabulous tent but perhaps a tad too heavy for a solo tour; unless I head for sunny climes only and dispense with the fly, and cross my fingers.

Incidentally, I've been sleeping in a tent these past six weeks, in NT Oz. The dry season is a camper's delight and my morning view of a lagoon is a terrible hardship to endure.  ;) The gentle purr of a trangia boiling water for the first tea of the day. Ah, simple pleasures.

Further reading and endorsement of said tent.
https://northernwalker.wordpress.com/2011/11/24/long-term-review-vaude-hogan-xt-the-final-word/
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 06:18:46 am by in4 »

jul

« Reply #89 on: July 24, 2017, 12:55:08 am »
No it is not this model .. mine is the version 2017 super-ultra-light (sul)

http://www.oppad.nl/?uitrusting=test-vaude-hogan-sul-xt-2-3p-2017
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 03:50:07 pm by julio »