Author Topic: Best Touring Tent  (Read 65700 times)

kickingcones

Re: Best Touring Tent
« Reply #60 on: April 14, 2012, 02:29:32 pm »
I think you're referring to the SUL contingent ("super-ultralight"). I don't know anyone who uses bubble wrap for their sleeping mat. Most UL's these days use things like the Exped Synmat UL 7... Pretty luxurious. As to tarps, a lot of it depends on your skills. Tarps can handle full-on tropical storms if you know how to pitch them. Most people today don't have those kinds of outdoor skills anymore. Most UL'ers don't want to deal with that level of learning, either, so they stick with shaped shelters and lightweight tents. Going UL is quite comfortable and not the extremist image that so many people imagine. We are not out there to suffer, but rather by going lightweight can go further and more comfortably at the same speed as before without the suffering. Of course bicycles can take a lot more weight, but bikepackers who go cross country are trying as much as possible to reduce their loads, hence the popularity of bikepacks made by Revelate Designs and Carousel Designs.

Out there in the wilds everyone has the same needs for safety and protection, so with experience and trial and error UL travelers have discovered what works and doesn't. The shelters I have mentioned work in most places. Perhaps not Everest or Denali, but the neither would the other tents mentioned here. I've sat out, in my UL shelters, typhoons in the mountains here in Japan, so though I didn't get much sleep, I can vouch for their effectiveness. (though I wouldn't recommend sitting out typhoons in most non-bomber tents).

Znook

• Me, Robbie!
« Reply #61 on: June 26, 2013, 05:11:27 pm »
Some interesting tent choices listed here, and some great comments made about them. Thanks guys.

As I'm currently researching into this aspect of touring any more additional info would be appreciated.

My best,
Robbie (who wonders how kickingcones got on with the MSR...)
I'm here, there and everywhere.

John Saxby

« Reply #62 on: June 26, 2013, 08:22:07 pm »
Hi Robbie, and welcome.  Just a couple of observations on the excellent info earlier in the thread.  So much depends on the conditions in which you're using your tent, and your personal  preferences. Stating the obvious, maybe, but here's an example of how these issues play out:

I live in Eastern Ontario, on the edge of the Canadian Shield -- sublime scenery and water, an outdoor paradise in all four seasons, which we sometimes get within a day or two.  But, there are bugs, so for two-three months of the year (most of the summer), and if you go into the bush on a 2-wheeler, or hiking, or by canoe, anything without an inner mesh tent is a recipe for serious discomfort.  (Parks Canada just rediscovered the 200-year-old diary of a director of the Northwest Trading Company, written on his trek from Montreal to Winnipeg in the summer of 1821, to explain to his suppliers the merger with the Hudson's Bay Company: his entries for June were almost entirely about mozzies.  He didn't have a mesh inner tent.)

Other times, other places, you can have other tent configurations.  I often use my MSR Hubba Hubba without the inner, where there are no bugs.

In a related vein:  I prefer the Hubba Hubba to one-person tents.  Palatial for one, OK for two, and on a bike, the kg-per-person ratio for the Hubba-Hubba is OK.  (And gets better if there are no bugs, and you leave the inner at home.)

I rarely go anywhere without a lightweight large nylon-silicone tarp ("Siltarp" brand).  This is often the first thing to rig in camp:  it gives shelter against wind and rain.  I use it cycling, hiking, canoeing, and camping by motorcycle.  You can rig it so that you don't need a tent (so long as there are no bugs...)  You might enjoy Colin Fletcher's series, "The Complete Walker"  -- for years he trekked all over, using as shelter only a tarp made from a big sheet of translucent plastic.

Last consideration is that I do only 3-season camping, so the combination of Hubba Hubba + tarp works just fine. I use similar gear for all my camping, tweaked for the different modes of transport.  And, my trips tend to be, say, 3 days to 4-5 weeks, not really long ones.  Maybe / maybe, had I known about Tarptent products before I bought my Hubba Hubba, I'd have bought a Tartptent -- I like the idea of being able to pitch a tent in the rain.  But, I'd still use my Siltarp, which is so useful.

So it comes down to judgment calls, which will differ according to what you're doing, and where.  And some experimentation, so that you get to know both your own preferences (which will change, of course), and your gear.

Hope this is helpful, and enjoy!

John

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #63 on: February 15, 2015, 01:42:47 pm »
Reviving an old thread here ... just seen a suitable 2 person tent new from Exped. I am a fan of Exped quality and service
having purchased their downbeat and stuff-sacks.

This tent looks a good alternative to the Hilleberg Nallo 2 GT that many cyclists recommend. The Exped Cetus II is cheaper and weighs only 2kg! Worth a look for those still looking for a 2 person cycle touring home ...

http://www.exped.com/en/product-category/tents/cetus-ii-ul

John Saxby

« Reply #64 on: February 15, 2015, 03:23:14 pm »
Thanks for this, Richard -- interesting option, with a lot of space for gear, and reasonable weight too.  I'll stick with my current Hubba Hubba for a while yet, though at just over 2 kg it starts to feel heavy.

Some useful comments and sources on this thread, for sure. This winter, I've offloaded some older Sierra Design tents (one- and 2-3-person), old and well-used but still in good condition, plus an enormous heavy and strong 4-5 person Eureka, from family canoeing days. (The latter I gave to my neighbours, now starting camping/canoeing/etc with their two youngsters.)  Acres of space liberated on basement shelves.

The replacement one-person, this coming spring will be a DW Moment Tarptent (working on the assumption that there will be a spring: right now, it's -25 outside my window, with a windchill of -35, bright & sunny but too cold for me to go skiing or skating.)  This, after some serious consideration of The Weight Question, prompted by legs that don't get any younger and hills that don't get any gentler, it seems. New approach to TWQ includes a lighter sleeping bag, ditto tent, maybe ditto mattress, smaller tarp, and on some trips at least, drybags instead of rear panniers.  First reports by mid-summer.

leftpoole

« Reply #65 on: February 16, 2015, 08:40:36 am »
These should get some thinking started!

http://www.pbase.com/leftpoole/tents

John (who also has a Force Ten Helium Carbon and a Macpac Microlight and a Nordisk Telemark UL!

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #66 on: February 16, 2015, 10:48:31 am »
Some good tents there. I replaced my ageing Vango Spirit 200+ with the Nitro Lite 200+ (same as your Nitro Lite but with a porch area). The Nitro Lite 200 (or 200+) is a good option too. Well made and light in relation to its space. Ideal for cycle touring.

The Tarptent DW Moment is a great single tent choice. I have the Double Rainbow which gives a bit more room for panniers and touring gear etc. Weighs just over a Kilo too! Worth considering if you need a bit more space. Its a 3 season + tent and stands up to strong winds well. I use the Double Rainbow for one or two person walking trips mainly.

leftpoole

« Reply #67 on: February 17, 2015, 09:42:24 am »
Tents! Along with my Stoves they are an expensive time consuming luxury. And, all for one (me!), oh dear.
But, of course the pleasure of waking up and turning on the stove (which one?) and that morning cup of tea
makes it all worthwhile.
Lying there sipping and thinking about life, then peeping out the door and seeing the grass, trees and the morning birds pecking the ground for worms or whatever.
Suddenly, if on a Campsite over there slightly out of sight behind a tree. What do I see?
A tent of interest. Up out of bed, dressed with haste and a wander over to look closely.
Oh dear it is a tent that looks good, I do not have one of those. I wonder how much it weighs? I wonder how much it costs?
Where can I find one?
Oh look, the occupant is getting out, must casually chat.
"Good morning", "good morning, nice day", "yes, about your tent........? And so it goes.
Enjoy what you have. Enjoy life. Enjoy health.
Without my own health life is very difficult, but I enjoy Thorn bikes, Camping and the outdoors.
I wish everyone well as I continue my own battle with Health.
All the best,
John......................Thinking about why I 'only' have two sleepings bags? Down, best quality, but what if I have an accident with one of them? Oh dear.....

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #68 on: February 18, 2015, 07:09:57 am »
Thinking about why I 'only' have two sleepings bags?
Um...four of those here, John.

Thanks for so nicely capturing the beauty and joys of camping in your little narration -- spot-on for me!

All the best,

Dan. (...who is wishing you better for the morrow)

leftpoole

« Reply #69 on: February 18, 2015, 12:06:29 pm »
Updated today, all of my tents now showing. I have N+ 1 tents!

http://www.pbase.com/leftpoole/tents

Regards,
John

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #70 on: February 19, 2015, 06:33:45 am »
I have N+ 1 tents!
Brilliant!

;D

Best,

Dan.

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #71 on: March 17, 2017, 12:29:49 pm »
I have just seen that MSR have launched two cycle touring specific tents called the Tour 1 and Tour 2. They are basically the Hubba with a gear shed and the Hubba Hubba with a gear shed. Interestingly the tent poles are now external to the fly allowing the tent to be put up in bad conditions without getting wet. As a Hubba Hubba fan, this could be even better for poor weather cycle touring.

Details here ...

https://www.msrgear.com/ie/tents/hubba-tour-1
https://www.msrgear.com/ie/tents/hubba-tour-2

And a good review with some photographs here ...

https://www.pannier.cc/journal/introducing-the-msr-hubba-tour-tent
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 01:34:24 pm by StuntPilot »

jul

« Reply #72 on: March 17, 2017, 01:37:32 pm »
What do you think about this tent, i am eyeing about it since a few months and today i can buy this tent for 600 euros.. i don't know if it's what i need really, it seems very huge! 

http://www.fjallraven.com/abisko-dome-2

jags

« Reply #73 on: March 17, 2017, 01:42:05 pm »
Very nice but 600 wow i'd keep shopping.

anto.

jul

« Reply #74 on: March 17, 2017, 02:21:07 pm »
Hi jags,

Do you mean the tent even for 6OO euros, it is too expensive !?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 02:25:03 pm by julio »