Author Topic: Reviving cycling glasses with stick-on bifocals  (Read 17954 times)

mickeg

Re: Reviving cycling glasses with stick-on bifocals
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2013, 01:06:41 pm »
I have been using the Optx brand stick ons for years.  They do not stick as well to some glasses as to others, but I think I have only had one lens fall off.  If you are putting them on both lenses, I find it easiest to put a post it note on each lens on the outside to be a reference marker so that I can get the tops located at the right height on both lenses.  They seam to adhere best if I clean off my hands and glasses with dish soap first to get rid of all skin oils.

My eyesight is good enough that I only need corrective lenses to see the bike computer and GPS, thus non-prescription sunglasses work just fine for me.

Here in USA, there are industrial safety stores in most larger communities.  You can often walk in and buy safety glasses.  I have bought these in both clear and grey color, less than $15 USD for both pair.  They are wrap around glasses, top is uncorrected, lower is a bifocal reading glass insert.  This link is to my local safety store, I do not know if they ship out of USA or not.
http://www.conney.com/Product_Eye-Protection-Safety-Glasses-Direct-Safety-Dakota-Readers-Safety-Glasses_50001_10102_-1_227410_11269_11268_11268

If the above link did not work, I pasted the description here:
Direct SafetyŽ Dakota Readers Safety Glasses: Grey Frame, 2.0 Diopter Grey Lens
Readers are a combination of reading glasses and safety glasses all-in-one. This versatile safety eyewear offers the flexibility to fit any face shape. One-piece wraparound polycarbonate lens produces full brow protection and a wide, unobstructed field of vision.

They do not have that expensive look that screams "I have too much disposable income", but they work just fine.  Different strengths are available.