Author Topic: Reviving cycling glasses with stick-on bifocals  (Read 17967 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Reviving cycling glasses with stick-on bifocals
« on: February 04, 2012, 10:29:51 pm »
Hi All,

As one of "a certain age", I have come to the unhappy pass of needing bifocals ("I'm too young to be this old!" ;)). Natively nearsighted, my close vision was always good, but now I find it is going away and I need an adjustment in my distance corrective lenses for cycling if I'm to read my bike computer. I usually wear my multifocal contacts, but leave those home when touring due to the difficulty in cleaning and storing them grit-free and the bulk and weight of the stuff needed to support them. When riding, I use some old Bolle Edge II cycling glasses with a prescription insert, and they have worked fine (except for a somewhat dated and geeky appearance) till now.

I talked with my optometrist, and was shocked to learn a fresh set of riding glasses with a multifocal or bifocal prescription insert would cost me in the neighborhood of USD$500 all-up.

I'm cheap in odd ways, so I headed to eBay to see what I could find. I found help and salvation in the search term, "stick-on bifocals", available for as little as USD$11/pr postpaid. The pair I sent for arrived yesterday, so I affixed one to my left lens, waited the recommended 12 hours for them to dry, and tried it a few moments ago.  Success! I can now read the GPS, computer, inclinometer, gear chart, compass, and map with no problem. Because the lens is only on the lower half of one side, I can also glance back at my cassette for a quick check on which gear I'm in or look down clearly for road hazards, "switching" between one view or another through eye-dominance (this has worked well for my multi-focal contacts where one eye prescription is biased near, the other far, and the ranges overlap in the middle). These stick-on lenses aren't optically perfect, but close enough to get the job done cheaply and easily and would convert sunglasses as well as sports lenses or ski goggles. It took me a couple times to chase the bubbles out from under but once done, they're clear. I might have had better results sticking the bifocal to the outer lens as instructed. Instead, I put it on the RX insert so I can swap nosepieces and use the sports glasses alone when I wear my contacts.

Maybe this will help others whose arms have become too short to hold stuff far enough away to read clearly.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 10:50:32 pm by Danneaux »

julk

Re: Reviving cycling glasses with stick-on bifocals
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 09:36:25 am »
Dan,
+1, I have a similar problem with arms not being long enough to read the newspaper anymore.

Here in the UK I found 3 solutions for cycling and being able to read my bike computer again.
Stick on bi-focal lenses for existing glasses and clear wrap around style safety glasses with a bi-focal lens included - both these originally from this site.
Sadly one of my sons borrowed and left the Oakleys with the stick on lenses on a train on the way back from a music festival.
Luckily the bi-focals are too cheap to be borrowed :D
I also ride using my normal vari-focals when the weather is good, a Shadow Visor on my helmet keeps the airflow, dust and insects off. Not so good to use when it rains though.

Isn't growing older wonderful!
Julian.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 09:38:27 am by julk »

Andre Jute

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 11:25:15 am »
I wear photochromatic lenses all the time, even indoors. All my glasses, except my cycling glasses are are photochromatic. But a couple of years ago I got tired of the wind blowing around my specs and making my eyes water, and since I was having my eyes tested anyway, I looked into various wraparound options and even over the glasses ski goggles, though I found those overkill and prone to misting.

I was shocked at the silly prices of cycling wear from the main brands. Screw them. I told my optician to go find me a good value German brand made obsessives, of the same quality as the thirty-year old Menrad gold frames that will see me out. It turned out he had what I wanted already:

https://shop.b-s.de/shop_html and search for "8918" without the quotation marks, then, when you see a colourful page, click the British flag top left to get English. This is the extras page; what is in the basic kit may differ from country to country, but all the available bits are on this page

What I have is the model 8918, which comes with the prescription insert to be glazed, and three sets of outer lenses. I also ordered a spare complete frame with all fittings, extra spare nosepiece, and all the available outer lenses not in the kit, including the special polarising lens; the lenses are amazingly cheap when they don't carry a cycling fashion name. Together with an eye test and real glass prescription lenses to the Rx insert, the whole lot came to EURO 115. You can't even buy a pair of cheap Oakleys for that! And these Breitfeld & Schlickert frames and lenses are of excellent design and workmanship. Each set comes in a zip case with space for three sets of wraparound lenses, plus cloth case for your bike that also doubles as a cleaning cloth.

As it happened, since I got these glasses, the weather has been poor, so I've only used the polarising and grey and brown lenses a few times, but the orange and yellow shooter's lenses have seen a lot of use; I now don't leave the house without my wraparounds even if walking rather than cycling. I ordered a set of clear lenses for nighttime use but found them surplus to requirements: the shooter's yellow lenses are brilliant for riding at night. Incidentally, after my optician talked to the local importer about what I was trying to do, we were told we could swap the coloured extra lenses around without extra cost except for the polarising lens (10 euro, cheep); but the coloured lenses were so cheap, I couldn't be bothered and just stuck to two sets of everything.

These frames and the outers lenses will last me thirty years or more; the inserts can be reglazed with new prescriptions. I'm well pleased with my investment. If I had bought only one set, and not ordered all the extras, together with the Rx glazing it would have come to 55 euro, I seem to remember; where I live that is stunningly cheap. I spent the extra gladly, because I was buying into a system, and nothing is more irritating than finding it has been discontinued when you want to expand the bits you have, or having to scrap hardly used extras because you can't replace the main item (the frame and Rx insert and machined nosepiece combo).

Look carefully at the piccie and you'll see the prescription insert lurking behind the polycarbonate wraparound:

Very comfortable specs, I should add.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 05:43:07 pm »
Julian, Andre --

You guys are great! I broke the cold-embrittled wraparound earpiece on my first Bolles at Picture Rock Pass in -7C weather. Had to ride the next two weeks with the things duct-taped together.  I recently found a replacement pair from eBay, but they are close to 30 years old, the frames have outgassed their plasticizers, and are likely to crack before too terribly long. Your responses are very timely for me; thanks!

Julian's suggestion is terrific, but I also need a prescription insert for distance, so Andre takes the prize this time. I rode for years with regular eye- or sunglasses and developed pingueculas ("eye bumps") on both corneas from wind abrasion so I switched to wraparounds.  The B&S model 8918 you suggest looks the business, and I really like the flip-up lens feature for nighttime use around camp and in the tent.  And...yes! The price is stunningly low compared to anything I could find in shops here.

Is that a rubber coating on the earpieces?

Andre, did you order directly from the site, or from a distributor? It appears at first glance that direct sales might be only to shops?

Best,

Dan.

Andre Jute

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 10:35:32 pm »
I don't think they do direct sales, Dan. My optician dealt with the local distributor. But, once you know what you want, you can buy those glasses anywhere (I've seen them on Ebay), then take the Rx insert to an optician and ask to have prescription lenses fitted, or even buy standard lenses from China and order them to the insert size, and do the business with a screwdriver yourself.

The earpieces are not just rubberised, they're spring loaded to stay on your head by a wrapping action, so you don't need a security cord. They're very comfortable glasses.

Andre Jute

macspud

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 12:40:10 pm »
I stumbled upon this post/article and thought of this thread:

http://www.tiredofit.ca/2011/12/19/bobster-street-sport-ii-gogglessunglasses/

They seem like a good answer to cyclists needs and can have prescription lenses.

Pavel

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 01:53:50 pm »
I went the hurting route - $480.  That could have bought Thorn Accessories!
It is a temporary thing.  Working on a time machine as we speak.

Andre Jute

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 03:33:25 pm »
I stumbled upon this post/article and thought of this thread:

http://www.tiredofit.ca/2011/12/19/bobster-street-sport-ii-gogglessunglasses/

They seem like a good answer to cyclists needs and can have prescription lenses.

I do like the look of those Bobsters. They're clearly for serious tourers. The foam resting on the rider's face is clearly a good idea in windy, sandy situations.

However, I suspect that the Bobster model shown won't work for those who need bifocals, because the glass/plastic will be too thick at the edges when made to suit that big lens size.

It's because of the weight/thickness issue that the B&S/shoptic type with its small round Rx insert is almost universally useful. Must say though, those Bobsters look real butch.

Hobbes

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2012, 06:36:18 pm »
After riding awhile with the stick-on bifocal(s), I thought a brief user report might prove helpful...

I decided to just apply one (see pic) on the left side, where my eyeglass rearview mirror is mounted. This lets me still see the distant mirror image clearly, yet I can also look down and see my "dashboard" clearly. Having the right eye with the distance-only lens (I'm nearsighted with advancing presbyopia) lets me check my tires for debris and I can glance back to check what gear I'm in. This is the same scheme I use with my multifocal contact lenses, so no real adaptation necessary. My brain has gotten used to switching to the dominant eye by distance, but I could always close one eye briefly to check a computer reading or such. I went against the company's advice and pasted it on my Rx insert, figuring I could then just switch nosepieces when I want only the Bolles with my contacts.

The bifocal isn't optically perfect but good enough for these needs. With care and several re-application attempts, I got the bubbles pressed out from under it and it holds fine even in heavy rain or under a faucet stream. For those who have asked, I got the +1.5 diopter, but the power will depend on what works for you. Before ordering, I went to the store and held some reading glasses over my eyeglasses until things were clear at the same distance away as my computer and GPS and such. Now I can read my map in the handlebar bag, yay!

I'm sure pleased to see some other bifocal-compatible suggestions on this thread, as even my replacement eBay Bolle Edge IIs aren't destined to last much longer. Even as near-NOS, the plastic is old and getting more brittle. Andre, I tried to find the B&S models online, but no luck as yet for a direct retail purchase. Do you have an eBay pointer or some similar suggestion?

I agree, the Bobsters Iain mentioned look cool, and that should alone should count for something, especially as form often follows function and these are an impressive bit of gear.

...I went the hurting route...
<nods> Gettin' there myself, Pavel, and trying to postpone the inevitable.

Best,

Dan.

Andre Jute

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2012, 09:23:11 pm »
Here's a retailer of the Breitling & Schlieckert 8918 sport glasses system:
http://www.netzoptiker.de/catalogsearch/result/?q=8918&x=18&y=9

Here are some more, including some at much better prices; you'll have to negotiate about delivery costs to the States:
http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=sportbrille+8918&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

HTH.

Andre
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 09:34:04 pm by Hobbes »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2012, 09:41:40 pm »
Thanks so much, Andre! I very much appreciate your efforts. I will check into these soonest. I know the secondhand Bolles are on borrowed time, so it is best I get a set of these all lined-up so I can send off for them when needed and without delay.

Andre, I hope I'm not testing your patience with a further question: Do you have some idea how the B&S 8918 might work for someone with a smaller face (me)? Though of average stature, often find the majority of sports glasses are designed for larger-headed folk, and I am a bit swamped. Any problems with the lip of your helmet batting away at them while riding? My Bolle Edge IIs (smaller frame/lenses than original Edge) just clear my Bell Alchera, but "just" is enough!

Thank you again!

Best,

Dan.

Andre Jute

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2012, 12:21:03 am »
Far as I know, the B&S 8918 are one size fits all. They're about about 5mm narrower across the hinges than my custom-made Menrad frames. The 8918 measure 133mm at the hinges and the arms curl inwards from their hinges to clasp your head, though not very noticeably or irritatingly. I normally wear cords on all my glasses, and the optician automatically brought out cords for these, but then we decided they weren't necessary, the glasses fitted securely without the cords. I'd wait until I had them, them take the matter under consideration again.

Dan, I've never done this, but according to some cyclists I know in RBT, one can apparently order lenses cut in China and delivered to the States very cheaply; the process was described on RBT by Peter Cole. If you're buying these 8918 frames anyway, buy an extra Rx clip, just in case you want to send it away to be glazed, or you have an accident with it. It's a key part of the setup... By the way, I had mine glazed with glass, rather than the more normal plastic, and it turned out a little heavy but not too much as the Rx frame size is relatively modest.

Andre Jute

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2012, 02:29:14 am »
Here's a retailer...Here are some more, including some at much better prices...
Oh, this is ideal, Andre, and you're right -- there is considerable difference in price between vendors. I'm currently on the wrong side of the Euro-Dollar exchange rate, so the price is effectively ~32% more after conversion before postage, but still a very good buy for these B&S 8918 models compared to the combined cost of separate RX adapter and frames and lenses by other makers, like Bolle. I like the flip-up feature as well; ideal for use in the tent or when stepping into a store from outside while wearing a tinted lens.
Far as I know, the B&S 8918 are one size fits all
<nods> That sounds about right. I wish I could see a pair, but I am encouraged by the small "unisex" pictogram in the corner of the illustration on the first link you mentioned. I often do better with hats or glasses sized for women or youths, since my face and head are similarly small, and most outdoor items come in lookalike color schemes and designs anyway. This is promising, and I'll look for specific measurements among the vendors. I also like the curving, wrap-around nature of the temples/ear pieces. I once had a pair of US Air Force-issue pilot's sunglasses of a similarly secure design and found them ideal for snaking past the side straps of a helmet without catching or snagging on the way. These B&S 8918s look great; you've good taste, Andre.
...one can apparently order lenses cut in China and delivered to the States very cheaply...
I've heard of this; now I must investigate more closely and will, thanks to your reference. We have a number of places in shopping malls now that offer "While-U-Wait" grinding of lenses at discount prices so that might be an option, too. I nearly lost an eye once while cycling, so I will probably go with polycarbonate lenses, since that saved my vision last time. However, nothing matches glass for clarity, anti-yellowing, and absence of color-fringing, which have all affected my polycarbonate lenses to one degree or another eventually.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 02:33:09 am by Danneaux »

sdg_77

• Hadrian's Wall and a Half
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2013, 04:51:15 pm »
Just back from my first ride with some of the stick-on bifocals,  quite a success ;-)
I had to trim about 3 or 4mm from the top edge to get the dividing line out of my field of vision for normal riding but they seem to have done the trick.

A belated thanks for those pointing the way.
sdg.

It was a bit of a pain having to pay the £3 tax and £8 Post Office admin fee but they were still cheaper than an of the alternatives.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2013, 05:17:15 pm »
Hi Steve!

Thanks for the report; I'm glad these worked out for you.

I saved the second lens of my pair to apply to the left lens of the single-vision eyeglasses I take as spares when on-tour. Usually, I wear either multifocal eyeglasses (nearsighted with advancing presbyopia, no astigmatism) or modified-monovision multifocal contact lenses. My left eye is my "near" eye and my right eye handles distance. There's overlap in the middle for binocular vision and my mind switches the dominant vision at the extremes where monovision isn't a problem. Seems to work so far.

A note to others: No, these stick-on bifocals aren't as clear or optically correct as "ground" bifocal lenses in corrective glasses. However, they are a handy expedient if all one needs/wishes is to be able to read a bike computer, GPS, or map while riding or perhaps a restaurant menu at lunch break -- for those sorts of things, they work very well indeed, and can be played or trimmed as Steve did to get them "right" for one's needs. Best way I can think of to add near-vision to sports and cycling glasses with plain lenses. Results seem to depend heavily on squeezing out all the air bubbles beneath the lenses during application. Get it wrong, and it is easy to simply reapply.

All the best,

Dan.