Author Topic: Do you have the feeling the return trip is shorter than "the way there"?  (Read 2114 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
HI All,

As the title says, I have often taken rides where I felt like the return run was shorter then the outbound trip.  I always figured the return trip felt quicker because it required less "processor time" 'cos I was already familiar with the route (albeit reversed).

Well, it turns out that might not be the case.  Take a look at a study called, "The Return-Trip Effect: Why the Return-trip Often Seems to Take Less Time", jointly authored by Niels van de Ven of Tilburg University, Leon van Rijswijk of the Eindhoven University of Technology, and Michael M. Roy of Elizabethtown College: http://www.vakantiefietser.nl/px/handleidingen/Terugreis.pdf

According to the study abstract,
Three studies confirm the existence of the return-trip effect: the return-trip often seems shorter than the initial-trip, even though the distance travelled and the actual time travelled is identical. A pretest shows that people indeed experience a return-trip effect regularly and the effect was found on a bus trip (Study 1), a bicycle trip (Study 2), and when participants watched a video of someone else travelling (Study 3). The return-trip effect also existed when another, equidistant route was taken on the return-trip, showing that it is not familiarity with the route that causes this effect. Rather, it seems that a violation of expectations appears to cause this effect.
Who'd have thought! On repeated training rides using the same familiar loop, it often seems like the return trip is longer, exactly because I do know what to expect; it can seem forever between the turnaround point and home.  A headwind makes it seem longer, for sure!  ;)

So, have you experienced this effect?  What do you think of the studies' results and the authors' conclusions?

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 01:08:09 am by Danneaux »

triaesthete

Re: Do you have the feeling the return trip is shorter than "the way there"?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 02:19:25 pm »
It always seems longer if you go out too fast and you live up a hill. On the other hand the return leg of an Audax ride sees the time deadline rushing towards you.
Ian

jags

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 04:38:02 pm »
 well it usually takes me about 12 miles to get going so by the time i start heading for home i'm usually going that bit better from when i started out  ;D so yeah the return journey always seems quicker to me.
does that make sense ;)

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 09:10:08 pm »
I found the following link an interesting prose from a man that has cycled many continents. I also believe that it is true that perception can be altered by travel. It's not directly related to your observations Dan, but provided a lot of thought for me ...

http://www.slowquest.co.uk/tag/psychogeography/

I think the study and discussion on psycho geography will be interesting! We all feel better on holiday in a different place. It relates strongly to long distance travel too as we utilising the space we have. I discovered a lot of this on my 1600km trek by foot ... www.dustytrack.com.

I think any strong physical effort over time and distance can transport the body and mind into an interesting state of enlightenment. The perceptions of time can indeed be warped by pre-conceptions, expectations, observations, and by the individual's particular self. As can the sense of place. I am but a scientist by training and still find this philosophical stuff interesting!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 09:36:06 pm by StuntPilot »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 10:41:54 pm »
I found the following link an interesting prose
Absolutely fascinating, Richard, and I am so glad you posted this link. I will explore it at length. I have been meaning to contact you off-list about your blog and the subject of it.

For me, cycling solo for extended periods in remote regions very much amounts to a sort of pilgrimage, and opens me to a more philosophical mindset and enlightenment. I think leaving the "noise" and "static" of civilization behind makes it possible to more easily reach a state of introspection and awareness when coupled with a basic lifestyle and high physical effort. It is one of the things I most treasure about my long rides and why I return to them again and again. It probably isn't a suitable topic for a Thorn-oriented forum, but it has been a wonderful "value-added" extra to my cycling adventures and life. Our backgrounds are similar and I find such things fascinating precisely because they are sometimes at odds to or unexplainable by my formal training.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 04:44:53 am by Danneaux »

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 04:36:19 pm »
I sometime go on a group day ride.  The rides generally start and finish about 10 miles away from my home - so I cycle it.  After the group ride, generally about 70 to 80 miles, I have the final 10 miles home alone.  I always find those the hardest by far!  The combination of tiredness and the loss of the group means my speed drops of dramatically.  I often stop and have a snack even though I am less than 40 minutes from home.

However if I am cycling by myself the return trip is shorter no doubt about it!!!