Author Topic: Suggestions needed: High-angle vid-cam mount  (Read 9847 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Suggestions needed: High-angle vid-cam mount
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2013, 06:03:52 pm »
Hi Pete!

Well found! After diddling with these things over the last couple years, I've found the telescoping, car antenna-like poles tend to get sloppy in regular use and can't be tightened up. As a result, the camera eventually rotates around the pole. The other problem with this lighter sort is they tend to vibrate when riding. They're fine when walking or standing still for a self-portrait, but don't work so well over time in more severe use (though pretty good to start with, they loosen up and there's no way to tighten them).

The locking models are really the way to go for long-term durability in regular use. There's clamp-locks and twist-locks. I prefer the convenient and consistent "registration" of the clamp-locks except in cold weather, when the plastic cams can fracture. The twist-locks are more durable, but can unlock if not secured properly and if a clamp is mounted, they con't always register the same with the handle.

The current rig under development and used to take these videos is simplicity itself -- a GoPro bicycle handlebar/seatpost mount ( http://www.amazon.com/GoPro-Handlebar-Seatpost-Mount-Cameras/dp/B0014F5WIA ), clamped to the end of a Targus TG-MP6710 67in/1.7m four-section monopod. The monopod uses keyed pole sections and cam-lock fasteners so a camera mounted to it won't "clock" or rotate. I'm careful with money, so the best thing about it is it cost only USD$9.99 with free delivery to the store. Just a few aisles from the order pickup counter, the same monopod sells for USD$14.99.  It weighs 13.4oz/380g and reduces to 21.5in/54.6cm/ See: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Targus-67-Lightweight-Monopod-w-Spiked-Feet-Foam-Handle/10370963

It works well and is sufficiently sturdy, but the collapsed size is really more than I'd like and it weighs a bit too much.

If I decide to continue with this monopod, then I think I will remove the rubber/spike foot and fit a locking tilt/swivel ball-head camera mount instead, so I can use it with cameras other than the GoPro. The GoPro will still fit if I mount it to the ball-head using the GoPro tripod mount (about USD$6 here: http://www.amazon.com/GoPro-Tripod-Mount-HERO-Cameras/dp/B002RCLYXG ). This could be accomplished most easily if I roll back the foam rubber grip, undo the screws holding the monopod's camera mount, and then transfer it to the foot end. On the other hand, I may modify the foot end with a standard 1/4-20 bolt, two nuts, and a couple washers, and call it done leaving the present camera mount intact at the top. If I do that, then a coupler nut would allow the monopod to serve as a tripod extender or to couple with my Rowi camera clamp. the conversion would take all of five minutes and would make it much more usable.

As mentioned, the present monopod works well, but does get heavy after awhile if fully extended with the GoPro mounted. I may make a minimalist harness for it out of Spectra cord so I won't have to hold its entire weight at arm's length. Laying it briefly on the handlebars caused a lot of vibration in the video, as seen in the second example. I have already found filling the sections with expanding foam does wonders for stiffening it up and reducing vibration along its length at minimal added weight.

I already have plans for Danneaux's Mk2 Camera Extender, based on a shorter and lighter Targus monopod that uses a twist-lock extension, the Targus TG-MP5510 55" Monopod: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Targus-TG-MP5510-55-Monopod/21675287 User reports say it extends to a measured 63in/1.6m and collapses to only 14.8in/38cm and has a shipping weight of 14.9oz/422g. This would be an acceptable collapsed size for me, and the longer length is pretty much necessary if one is to get the bike and rider in the shot with a GoPro. Of course, these things can be used at less than full length also.

Fun stuff, and getting closer!

Best,

Dan.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2013, 03:53:53 am »
Hi All!

I picked up the smaller of the two Targus camera monopods yesterday at WalMart (same item at Amazon). I think between this and the larger one from Targus I used for the previous video tests, this has the edge as an adaptable camera extender. It does indeed weigh only 240g and collapses down to 38cm and extends to 160cm -- ideal! For reference, the bigger Targus 3-section monopod I tried in the earlier videos weighed 380g and went from 54cm to 171cm.

I simply attached my GoPro handlebar.seatpost clamp to the base and done (see attached photo; that's a yardstick for size comparison).

This smaller monopod has no cam-locks, but instead uses a very sturdy and well-executed twist-lock (you use the big rubber knob at the bottom to twist it, so no worries about hands slipping in the rain or cold. It holds the camera mount securely). It has five sections and seems very sturdy in backyard testing with the GoPro mounted and showed no signs of rotation. That last section is less robust than the others, but it can be left retracted until needed. It stores much more compactly than the large model, is nearly as long extended, and weighs less, which also makes it easier to hold.

Unfortunately, the housing latch on my GoPro broke yesterday, so I can't use it on the bike till GoPro's new warranty latch arrives by mail (it goes out in the mail tomorrow; response was immediate, phenomenal customer service). I'll test it again on the bike after the camera latch arrives this week. I'll retest to see how it works with the bike and will update then.

Best,

Dan. (...who is extending himself a bit on this one)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 04:19:59 am by Danneaux »

NZPeterG

• It's Great to Be Alive! Again! Go Cycle. . . . . .
    • Kiwi Pete's Cycling Safari
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2013, 09:00:31 am »
Hi Dan,,
Why do you need to fit you GoPro Mount onto your new Pole?

The One's I have been looking at come with a Std 1/4" mounting and/or GoPro mount.

Pete
 ???

The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common[

http://kiwipetesadventures.tumblr.com/

http://kiwipetescyclingsafari.blogspot.co.nz/

Looked after by Chris @ http://www.puresports.co.nz/
For all your Rohloff and Thorn Bicycle's in NZ

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2013, 03:22:57 pm »
Hi Pete!

I just used my GoPro Handlebar/Seatpost mount and clamped it on the rubber knob at the end.  Similarly, if I invert the GoPro tripod mount and fit a 1/4-20 threaded stud, the same part works with my conventional camera. Since I already had the GoPro parts, the pole made the missing piece.

Biggest difference in this one is the added length while still maintaining the short collapsed size. Depends on if one wants just torso-up shots or full-bike-and-rider, possible with the added length.

I haven't decided yet, and am weighing options.

Waiting for the camera latch to see how it does in use on the bike. Should know more by...day after tomorrow?

Best,

Dan.