Author Topic: Muppets Poll: Cycling Sock Color  (Read 2441 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Muppets Poll: Cycling Sock Color
« on: January 28, 2012, 03:35:10 am »
Hey All!

It's been awhile since we had a poll, so...

Just wondering...when cycling (as opposed to all your other IRL activities), do you prefer to wear black socks or white ones?  Or -- since choice is good -- another color?

I'm a traditionalist, and always wore white socks while riding; still do.  White looks crisp and fresh when clean and the light color is a built-in wash indicator.   ;)

I wore my white socks when touring NL and BE and they got me spotted as a tourist (of the foreign-visitor kind) right quick.  Most Dutch and Belgian casual cyclists and cycle-tourists wore dark-colored socks (racers in training wore white or team socks, I noticed).  Black is popular, the better to hide chain oil and dirt, I was told. Lance Armstrong broke the mold for 'Merkins and wore black Radio Shack socks, but Greg LeMond pioneered some blue ones back in his Zed days.  The Maillot Jaune sometimes wears yellow.

So, what's your preference?  I've left open the possibility to change your vote if you wish.  I'd like to hear the reasons for your choice.

A proper Muppets poll!

All in fun,

Dan.

Relayer

Re: Muppets Poll: Cycling Sock Color
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 08:53:35 am »
I use light grey or dark grey socks, I got a number of pairs of merino wool socks at a very good price from LewisKit a few years ago, unfortunately they are no longer available.  Hopefully my stock will last for some time yet.

I am not overly particular about the colour of socks for my cycling, although a white pair has remained at the back of a drawer for many years now but I am not inclined to try them again ... having got used to grey they would be way too bright for me now.   8)

in4

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 09:34:34 am »
I'm not known for my sartorial elegance so cannot appreciate the appeal of looking crisp, fresh or smart. On a more practical level I use brightly coloured socks usually from my vintage hiking sock collection. Thus my rather attractive calves are highlighted for both potential admirers and nutcase drivers alike - for contrasting reasons of course!

6527richardm

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 09:40:29 am »
Whilst touring I prefer dark grey wooly boolies i do not think you can beat them and on a practical level you can wear them for more than a day.  On club runs i also prefer white

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 04:23:16 pm »
On a day ride, where I am putting out more energy, I prefer ankle socks - so the colour is immaterial.  However on tour I use woollen hiking socks - normally brown.

davefife

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 05:18:06 pm »
black - assos in summer, trekking/walking socks not cycling specific in our Scottish autumn, winter and spring.  Have a few pairs of years old Aldi/Lidl ones that are great value.
D