Author Topic: LED front and rear lights  (Read 4775 times)

laurie saunders

LED front and rear lights
« on: November 21, 2004, 01:58:00 pm »
I get through at least four sets of batteries each winter (1 set = 4 x type C )for my filament bike lights  ....ie it is very expensive. I`m too disorganised to go down the rechargeable route, and have 5 bikes so need to transfer lights from one bike to another

I`ve been looking at the new LED lights...the main issue seems to be with the front lights not getting BS approval for use alone

Any help here would be most welcome

From what I can tell, the Cateye range seems to be the one to go for. Is it worth hanging on a bit? ..ie is the technology still moving forward quite quickly?

Any help would be welcome

many thanks

laurie S

Ratty

Re: LED front and rear lights
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2004, 09:19:16 pm »
>Is it worth hanging on a bit? ..ie is the technology still moving forward quite quickly?

This is exactly what I have heard but also that the very best lights (aparently called HID lights) will remain the best.

These are for riding in complete darkness and are for seeing rather than most lights that are there for the benefit of others ie being seen.

I would invest in a battery recharger for now - you can always use it for the LEDs when the time is right.

oxenholme

Re: LED front and rear lights
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2004, 09:29:34 pm »
For a long time now I've been using Vistalite LED rear lights - currently called Nebula 5 - and I find them pretty good.   I use two of them side by side.

For the front I use Cateye white LED Opticube lights on roads with street lighting for which they are satisfactory.    For riding on unlit roads I use halides.   They cost an arm and a leg, but the performance makes them worth it.