Author Topic: Nomad in Scotland  (Read 2625 times)

AndrewC

Nomad in Scotland
« on: January 14, 2012, 11:40:02 am »
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andrewclark/5823956747/

My Nomad Mk1 on the track to Sandwood Bay in NW Scotland

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Nomad in Scotland
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 07:32:52 pm »
Andrew,

I surely thank you for sharing the link to photos of your Scotland tour -- what a magnificently beautiful country, and you've captured it well!  Pics like IMG_0145 showing that little dirt track make me long to be in such a place right now.  It really is true what they say about photography capturing a moment in time, but you've managed to also catch the mood and feeling, and I can almost smell the sea. Well done!  I also recognized some familiar sights on the Route des Flandres photo set, too.

I really like how you've "dressed" your Nomad...frame bags have always fascinated me, and while I have yet to try one, they seem like such a good idea, getting the weight inside the triangle and adding needed and handy storage space.  Such a well-balanced load, and I see you're using a Bikebuddy for your fuel bottle.  How is that working out?  Looks to be a brilliant design, and the notion of removing the entire, universal-fit  cage along with the bottle (leaving just the mounting pegs) is sheer genius on the designer's part.

Fantastic bike, done "just right".  I enlarged many of the pics to better enjoy the details.  Really well-chosen tent color for wild-camping; you're almost invisible when abed.  Park the bike behind, and you'd disappear amidst the green!

Best,

Dan.

scotian

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 08:42:13 pm »
Hi Andy,

Great shots, want to go.
Did you get the frame bag made special?

Cheers

Ian

allywatt

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 09:07:03 pm »
Been to Sandwood bay sevaral times, on foot, never by bike. The track has been greatly improved in the last 10 years - you've captured my imagination - what a place for a cycle camp.

Another out of the way Highland route I would like to try on my Nomad would be from Dundonnel to Poolewe - some very rough country, the river crossing past Sheneval at Larichantivore would be interesting, but it would be worth it for the high and dry section and the sweeping track down into Carnmore.

Long live the North West!

Relayer

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 09:25:52 am »
Very nice pictures Andrew.

I am embarrassed to admit I haven't been further north west than Kyle of Lochalsh (except once to Ullapool when I was a small boy), it looks like a wonderful get away from it all or wild camping destination ... gives me something to ponder for the future - thanks.

AndrewC

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 07:58:48 pm »
The Bikebuddy works very well with a 1L fuel bottle. It's secure and I think it's only ever come off once.  I've also used a Profile bottle cage as recommended by SJS and that' held a (smaller) water bottle very well on the road between Manali & Leh.

The framepack is a Jannd Framepack and is very useful. I did a brief review on it here. http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=36560.0

If you want a bigger one Pocket Rocket in the US will make you anything you like. Cass has a good article on them here. http://whileoutriding.com/2012/01/07/porcelain-rocket-the-making-of-a-framebag/

That was my 5th or 6th trip up to the Northwest, it's beautiful touring country, though this year was the windiest trip yet, that little tent got a good workout!