Author Topic: Sherpa fairly well loaded  (Read 3215 times)

janeh

Sherpa fairly well loaded
« on: August 28, 2012, 06:46:57 pm »
Hello,

Here is a pic of my Sherpa well loaded. We only rode to the campsite in Guernsey with this weight. We then just did rides with the tag along and day luggage. It wasn't as flat as I had thought so we had to push up a few hills!

Jane

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Sherpa fairly well loaded
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 03:48:16 am »
Hi Jane!

"Fairly well loaded..." Jane, you're a master of understatement; that's a *big* load!

You surely did well on those hills; well done!

The bike looks so nice, too...I love the red 'n' blue combination on the frame, bags, and water bottles; really stunning! A really nice job on the handlebars and brake levers, too. I see the pannier pocket attached just fine; no leaks I trust? Despite the horror of poking holes in waterproof bags, Ortlieb's waterproof mounts really do the job. It looks good. Did you choose the large pocket or the small one (only the small one has the Ortlieb 8-sided Scotchlite reflector on it)?

Hope you and the family a had a nice time. Outdoors, bikes, Adventure -- all the ingredients for a wonderful day together!

Best,

Dan.

janeh

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 10:34:20 am »
Hello,

Thanks for your comments. As usual the panniers are just a mix of what we have. My blue full size Ortleib's and my husband's old red front panniers. He has some new front panniers which are white. I don't like them as I think they'll be oily and dirty in no time but it's his choice!

I like the back pocket as it's good for just bits and bobs. It's the small one I think as it has a reflector on. I've had it a few years and can't remember if you could get different sizes when I bought it.

Here is a pic of the bike with it's handlebars chopped shorter. Doesn't look much different but it does help. Useful to have a man with a saw at the campsite!

The weight was too much really. It's a bit wobbly with the tag along (though not as bad as the seat post mounted one) and it was hard for me to get started up hills. My husband was ok with his load (trailer and 4 panniers) but he is better on the bike than me. We could of course have taken the car over then we could have just done day rides with the bikes...but where's the fun in that??

Best wishes,

Jane

janeh

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 10:38:46 am »
Ps I loved the tubus front rack (just got it). Also I used a handlebar mirror on the drop of the handlebar and this worked really well. The back rack came with the tag along and weighs a ton!

Incidentally if anyone thinks their bike is a bit sluggish and heavy, load it like this. Then unload it and ride it. Weee it really flys!