Author Topic: 36 spoke hole Rohloff hub.  (Read 5024 times)

triaesthete

36 spoke hole Rohloff hub.
« on: December 08, 2011, 10:08:58 pm »
FYI as of Nov 2011 they are now making some of them with 36 spoke holes, ostensibly to better suit electric assisters.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: 36 spoke hole Rohloff hub.
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 01:33:02 am »
Yep.  More info available from the North American Repair Facility at Cycle Monkey:
http://www.cyclemonkey.com/rohloff-speedhub.shtml

Best,

Dan.

Andre Jute

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 03:49:03 am »
The Rohloff/pedelec combination is brilliant. I built one in the summer as an experiment with a Bafang/8FUN motor type QSWXK (this is a special quality control batch of e SWXK for finicky European customers), which is the motor from which the famous but currently illegal BPM is derived. I'm well satisfied, even impressed. The Rohloff and the motor assistance are a match made in heaven for steep hills.

But how does the fashion for pedelecs influence Rohloff to build a 36 hole hub? Anyone who wants to keep his Rohloff uses a front motor, as I did, or a central motor, which will presumably shortly be available in the aftermarket.

Andre Jute

John Nettles

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 02:15:08 am »
I wonder if Thorn will make them available or if they will stick with the 32 hole.  I for one am glad as I prefer more spokes plus it will be much easier to replace a rim if needed in third world countries now.

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 08:14:11 pm »
Just for the record (and something you may already be aware of)  Rohloff used to manufactured a 48h for use with tandams and was sold exclusively through sjsc.  The hub was laced as a crows foot. Not sure if this is still available.

coco

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 09:19:59 pm »
The Rohloff 36 hole hubs seem to have been available since about October 2011. They are not presently (April 2014) listed as an option for the Nomad. Does anyone know if Thorn would build a 36 spoke wheel if a customer requested it?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 09:23:51 pm by coco »

phopwood

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 10:13:58 pm »
Give SJS a call they are very helpful.  But a 32 spoke version still builds a very strong wheel.

Peter.

mickeg

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2014, 12:32:51 pm »
I went with a 36 hole Rohloff when I built up my Nomad, I ordered it on-line from Germany. 

For my wheels, I ordered 36 hole Ryde (Ridgida) CSS rims from SJS and requested that one be drilled for Rohloff.  They were happy to provide that, one rim had a tag on it with a hand written note that said Rohloff, although visually I could not tell the difference between the two rims.