Author Topic: Rolhoff won't go past gear 7  (Read 2107 times)

sd

Rolhoff won't go past gear 7
« on: April 29, 2014, 05:08:52 pm »
Just changed the tyres and cannot get the gears to go past 7 (maybe 6). Don't want to risk damaging anything. If recall right it was in gear 1 when I took off the wheel but for reason started turning the gear changer before I finished refitting everything. Had a bad day scumbag ebay delisted a bike I am selling twice and then I found loads of my cider had exploded covering my garage and the bikes in glass.
Anyone solve my Rolhoff problems?

phopwood

Re: Rolhoff won't go past gear 7
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 05:16:15 pm »
Is this in internal or external cabled hub. I would start with making sure the cables are all seated correctly, also make sure the wheel is in true and stright.

Peter

sd

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 05:35:05 pm »
   Oh my god I am mechanically minded!!!! Basically the gear changer was in one gear and the Rohloff was in another. I just changed the gears with a spanner until both were in the same setting another 2 hours wasted

phopwood

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 06:15:31 pm »
No the 2 hours was a learning experience it will be 2 hours wasted if next time it happens you spend 2 hours fixing it again.

Well-done for making it work.

Peter

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 09:07:48 am »
Good point popwood.
I am about to fit new tyres to my Raven.
Internal mech.
So just to clarify, I turn the gears to either number 1 or 14 before removing the rear wheel?

I have done it before but a year or so ago.

Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Andre Jute

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 09:47:13 am »
Gear 14 before you take the wheel off. Easier to put back.

mickeg

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 03:20:01 pm »
I never remember to put the gear into 1 or 14 before disconnecting the EX box.  But, no big deal. 

Last time I had the wheel off and then put the EX box back on, my shifter said I had gears 1 thru 12.  That meant that when the shifter said I was in 12, I really was in the highest gear (14) so I simply left the hub in the highest gear, disconnected the EX box and reset the twist shifter to the highest gear (14) and reassembled.

Maybe two minutes.  If it was more complicated, that would force me to learn my lesson better and always remember to put it into 1 or 14 before removal.