Author Topic: Fav'rite offbeat touring take-alongs  (Read 6941 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Fav'rite offbeat touring take-alongs
« on: December 06, 2011, 04:36:32 am »
Hi All,

As we ride and tour, we all tend to settle on our odd little favorite items to take with us.  They needn't be expensive or exotic, but there's usually something that comes in really handy beyond the usual patch kit, tire levers, and multi-tool.

Here's one I can toss out:

I take a small rubber door-stop.  When I ride solo -- and don't take a lock -- and need to use the public lavatory, they are frequently equipped with heavily spring-loaded doors.  It's a real struggle to get the bike inside the restroom for safer parking when you have to also fend the door away from the rear wheel and fender as you wheel it through.  The door-stop makes entry and exit a breeze, and weighs in the neighborhood of an ounce (28 grams).  Not bad for such a handy little device and all the damage it can prevent.

Here's another:

When it is cold or windy or rain comes up unexpectedly, I'm surely glad that I often bring along a trash bag.  In the US, a 33-gallon size is just right to make a wind vest or rain jacket, provided you tear a hole for the neck and arms.  When I don't use it as a garment (and when it is still intact), I use it to pick up others' discarded roadside debris. On one of my favorite 200km routes, other cyclists often discard apple cores, banana peels, and energy-drink bottles (I've asked a few to please clean up after themselves, but have yet to meet with any success).  Beyond being unsightly, they present a real hazard to wildlife.  Mice crawl into the drink bottles and become trapped, and larger animals like opossum, nutria, and raccoons are lured to the road -- or across it -- to nibble on the discarded fruit, only to meet their fate under a car wheel.  Those garbage bags really come in handy.  Unless they're full of garbage when it rains.  Then I get wet.   ;)   I will sometimes carry a small plastic produce bag to keep my backside dry when sitting on a dew-wet park bench or wet grass while eating lunch.  They last an amazingly long time in such service, and it amounts to an additional practical use before it goes in the recycle collection bin.

Another:  For quite awhile I took along one of those little fold-up nail clippers that included a nail pick, something like this:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Fingernail_Clippers.jpg   The pick was perfect for digging glass and sharp stones out of my tires, and for cleaning mud from the slots in shoe cleats.  The clipper part was useful not only for fingernails, but for nibbling at all manner of things, including the making of emergency tire boots.  I can't think of a better tool for removing the small rubber spikes or "hairs" that are artifacts of the molding process on new tires. They are the result of small vent holes placed in the molds to release air when the rubber is injected or poured.  They'll drive you crazy with noise if you fit new tires with tight fender clearances.  The clippers solve it in a trice.

So, what little offbeat whatsit do you find yourself carrying with you in a jersey pocket, handlebar bag, or Carradice?

Curious!

Dan.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 07:57:40 am by Danneaux »

julk

Re: Fav'rite offbeat touring take-alongs
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 09:25:21 am »
Dan,
I agree a plastic bag is handy for sitting on when the surface is wet - normal here in the UK!
I also use it to cover my leather saddle when leaving the bike outside on a campsite or shop.

I carry a few reusable zip ties and some strips of double sided velcro for those occasions when something needs fastening back on. The velcro strips I leave wound on the top tube and they are usually used to hold the brake levers on tight when the bike is left parked.

An oddment I carry in my tool kit is a 'grommet' which fits round the valve base on my Presta valved spare tube and lets it properly fit a Schrader valve holed rim.
No use to me, but it may help another cyclist.
Julian.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 11:44:15 pm »
I suppose it is a little offbeat for day-tours, but I have taken to carrying my "Pocket Kitchen" with me.

I hate leaving the bike unattended, even at little country stores, and when they are open, hot food is often limited to plates of gellid biscuits 'n' gravy ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biscuits_and_gravy ) or what I call "light-bulb food" that was cooked hours before and stays warm-to-dried-out under a bright light in a glass case.  My kit is just the ticket for hot soup, canned chili, a pot of hot apple cider or -- yes, I like it too! -- tea.

The solution is to take along my little homemade meths stove; the kit is small enough to fit endwise in my HB bag or rack pack.  It is the traditional "penny stove" (the penny releases excess pressure), made from a Heineken can.  It nests inside my usual pot-set, a little alloy number by EverNew.  I also made the stand (alu tubing and cr-mo welding rod), and it stores inside the carry sack for the inexpensive windscreen I purchased from eBay.  The fuel bottle is good for priming and as many as three complete fills.  Boils a half-liter of water in about 5-6 minutes depending on temp and wind.  Total cost is about USD$22.  When I take "big" tours, I substitute my Coleman Peak 1 Multi-Fuel stove, which runs happily on kerosene, white gas, or unleaded pump gas (with a change of vaporizer pipe).  Provided it hasn't leaked (rare), the alloy stove box makes a couple large pots to augment the tiny EverNew set, used for everything except boil-purifying bulk water for later storage and carry.

For day trips and tours, the usual fare is dehydrated soups.  I pre-pack single-servings in zip-lock freezer bags and add boiling water before placing them in a homemade Reflectix (aluminized bubble-wrap) cozy for 5 minutes to finish cooking on their own.  If I'm really hungry, I'll add various larger dehydrated veggies and dried/smoked beef or turkey jerkey or fish, chicken, or beef from tin or pouch.

With my Pocket Kitchen, any roadside stop becomes a restaurant, with meals ready to eat within 10 minutes.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 12:53:27 am by Danneaux »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 01:17:02 am »
You've seen my Pocket Kitchen for day rides; here's my Cyclist's Laundry for long tours...

It is illegal in many places here in the States (and a Really Bad Idea) to place or dump soap into a potential water source, whether pond or running stream. It kills fish, frogs and tadpoles, renders the water undrinkable for animals, and surfactants strip the oils that make duck and goose feathers waterproof. Doing laundry when wild-camping can be really problematic.

I came up with a solution awhile ago that has worked well in practice and takes very little room in my panniers.

I place my dirty clothing in a 2-gallon/7.5l Ziplock freezer bag (freezer bags are made of more durable plastic and seem to have better sealing at the closure). Dump in a bit of biodegradable soap and some water, and squeeze out excess air before zipping the bag shut. Let it sit -- preferably in the sun, but shade is fine -- for about 90 minutes, agitating the bag when you think of it. Afterwards, dump out the soapy water well away from any water sources (the middle of a dry gravel road seems to do the least damage).  Fill the sack with clear water from your stores (or transferred from a source) and agitate again. Repeat once and the water should be clear.  Even so, considerable caution is necessary.  In some areas -- particularly in the desert or in fragile alpine locales -- the flora is just too sensitive to expose to soapy rinsewater, and something as innocent as Wash Day can cause some real devastation, so it pays to use real care. Still, this makes it possible to do laundry in areas where it would be difficult or unadvisable otherwise and is more responsible than soap in a stream. I make sure I use a phosphate-free biodegradeable soap intended to create minimal foam and to break down quickly.

Once clean, I hang my laundry to dry on a clothesline. I recently purchased one I like, the Sea to Summit Lite Line clothesline: http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/3 , reviews here: http://www.rei.com/product/807452/sea-to-summit-lite-line-clothesline/showdetail.php?Code=ACLOTH It uses a captive pouch, two hooks, a line-loc tent-line tensioner, and twin lines with captive rubber beads substituting for clothespins. It is great; weighs just 1.3oz/36 grams and is 11.5ft/3.5 meters long (and can be doubled back on itself or shortened with the line-loc). Using the Click-Stand on Sherpa, I can tie one end to the seatpost and the other to my tent ridgepole if no trees are present. Otherwise, I can string it between the bike and a tree branch.

My Dutch friend prefers to use his roll-top Ortliebs as a washbucket. His method involves dumping in the dirty clothes, water, and soap, then riding around for a bit on bumpy roads.  He dumps out the soap and rinses in the same pannier. I don't know how I'd get the pannier clean or dry again, but he packs differently than I do in my Ortlieb Packers. He says the procedure leaves the pannier nice and clean with a fresh soapy scent, but cautions one to use the pannier your pack clothes in, not the one for food storage.

I also picked up a $1 universal suction stopper so I can keep water in a motel basin or at least take a usable tub bath if the shower head fails. Most hotels and motels here remove the stoppers to prevent people doing laundry in their rooms and causing damage as a result. If I use my stopper and carefully place my clothesline over the tub or in the shower to prevent any drips on carpet or floor, I do fine. I like to leave the wild places as clean and untouched as I found them, and I do the same in formal lodging.

Best,

Dan.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 02:14:37 am by Danneaux »

Andre Jute

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 07:48:25 pm »
Dan, the neighbourhood ladies dropping in for a drink are hanging over my shoulder, mouths agape and eyes popping. "Why doesn't he just ask a desperate housewife to use her washing machine?"

Andre Jute
Taking notes for my Big Tour

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 07:50:58 pm »
Andre,

Please tell them this sounds like a wonderful strategy, with the added benefit of finding me a wife (I've been searching long and hard, came close to marriage once, but it didn't work out).  If they also like to cycle/tour, please do a favor and give them all my email addy.  :D

Best,

Dan.

P.S. They have to be Rinsers or its not a deal (http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=3917.0;D
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 07:54:58 pm by Danneaux »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 05:47:41 pm »
I want royalties!  :D

(me and about a million other people who have used the "do the wash in a plastic zipper-sack" method I mentioned earlier)

To be fair, this one has a built-in washboard and is purpose-built. Might work very well.

The Scrubba!
http://igg.me/p/54387?a=507930

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 07:15:53 pm by Danneaux »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2012, 06:52:18 am »
Hi All,

I'm planning my Spring tour, and intend to once again ride through the heart of Oregon's Malheur National Wildlife Refuge for part of it ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malheur_National_Wildlife_Refuge ). Unfortunately, it is also home and refuge to what must surely be the largest mosquito population this side of British Columbia and Alaska's tundra. They were so thick on my last ride through the area, the leading faces of my forearms were gray with matted clots of the things. Collectively, I'm convinced they could have lofted me home as a meal for their larval young. I was bitten so many times I finally felt kind of sick, and swallowed enough to gag and vomit several times before I reached the welcome sanctuary of a motel in Burns. They really weren't repelled by any of the "natural" repellents I had, and were largely unfazed by 100% DEET. I think they were so matted as to mask the effects of the repellent. Seconds after I scraped them off, they were back in force. They surely managed to bite through my lycra jersey and shorts, and I was a mass of lumps by the time I finished (and he wants to go back?!? Yes...). The worst was my face and head, as the little beasts managed to get trapped in the channels between the helmet vents and vented their rage in the confined space. They enjoyed free reign on my bald noggin, and removing the helmet occasionally to swat them only left me open to greater attack. Man, did I swell. I looked a bit like the guy with the peanut-allergy reaction on right in the photo below From The Big Bang Theory television series).

This time, I'm better prepared. I've decided to ride through the area wearing a mosquito net treated with the "natural" repellents and lesser chemical mixes, as DEET is not helmet-friendly (damages and dissolves a variety of plastics, what must it do to my DNA?). The mirror extends far enough forward from my glasses to protect my nose, and the brim of the helmet should keep them away from my ears and possibly my neck. The mesh is a little coarser than I'd like, but the finer stuff passes too little air to make breathing easy, and is hard to see though. I like the elastic neck gasket

Hopefully, this will make life a bit more bearable as I pass through this area once again. It isn't ideal, but might help a bit.

Best,

Dan.

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2012, 11:27:51 am »
While it is not a cure one item you may like to add to your chemical arsenal against the dreaded midget is Permethrin.  Permethrin is anti midget treatment for clothing. (so don't put it on your skin! )  I have found it a help. There are several different companies selling the stuff.  Given that this is a chemical I would suggest that you do a little research on the web before you use it, however many nets  come with the stuff in situ.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2012, 05:45:05 pm »
...one item you may like to add to your chemical arsenal against the dreaded midget is Permethrin...
You're absolutely right, Stuart. I think I am coming to that, and may go with one set of clothing intended for just those occasions, perhaps isolated from my other clothing in a lightweight dry sack or plastic bin liner. I wouldn't feel bad tossing them properly afterward if they were old and even had a few holes.

Apparently, once treated, the Permethrin stays viable on the clothing for a number of machine washes, which is good. I have to admit the list of possible effects shown on the MSDS (Materials Safety Data Sheets) gave me enough second thoughts to avoid using it, but I've pretty well exhausted all other means when the "mozzies" are that bad. If I could treat the head-net (after looking to see if Permethrin is plastics-safe and helmet-safe), I might be able to get by treating one old jersey as well and call it done. For that matter, an old long-sleeved cotton shirt would do for the duration. We're only talking about a corridor perhaps 115mi/185km where it is at its worst. Truly, anything would help, and I surely appreciate your thoughts and feedback, Stuart. An excellent idea to of yours to investigate pre-treated nets and such. I'm off to do just that; thanks again for some welcome suggestions!

All the best,

Dan.

AndrewC

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2012, 09:53:19 pm »
Sea to Summit also do a bug jacket with a hood & mitts, also Permethrin treated.  It might make life at a bug ridden campsite more pleasant.

http://www.backcountry.com/sea-to-summit-bug-jacket-and-pant-w-insect-shield

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2012, 09:56:10 pm »
Sea to Summit also do a bug jacket with a hood & mitts, also Permethrin treated.
Oh! Bliss! Love! It has just risen to the top of Danneaux's Want. Need. Must Have List.

Wow. Words fail me. I would have promised my firstborn for one of these last trip.

What a find, Andrew! Didn't know they existed.

Best,

Danneaux with the bug-free dreams.

AndrewC

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2012, 10:15:34 pm »
I'm off to North West Scotland in a few weeks & have just ordered a headnet as a precaution.  I've never been overly troubled by midges there because it's usually too windy on the coast!  But just in case.....

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2013, 01:42:09 am »
Hi All!

I decided to add a small "Wi-Fi Finder" to my list of touring goodies so I can quickly find a public access point without having to fire up the netbook. It weighs only 20.3g/.72oz including two long-lived CR2032 batteries. It seems true to its promise of finding and indicating signal strength from as far as 152m/500ft for 802.11 B/G (and N) networks, and cost me only USD$8 new in package from an eBayer who resold it after removing the package bar code for a rebate. Not bad!

Should be far quicker than looking with the computer. I wish it told the SSID and whether the access point was secured, but at least now I will know if one is available. Most fast-food places and coffee shops, motel/hotel lobbies, and public libraries have unsecured, free-to-use public wifi and this should help me get in position for a good signal. "Ideal" for me is usually out on the sidewalk, near a window so I can watch the bike while I check my email, look online, or do a quick upload of pics and such.

Best,

Dan.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2013, 04:13:26 am »
Hi All!

Going through my touring gear, I remembered just how useful ladies' nylon-covered "ouchless" rubber elastic hair bands are as mini-bungee cords. I get them in assorted colors and sizes, then roll my clothing -- jerseys, tights, riding shorts and socks -- and use the bands to secure them. Unlike conventional rubber bands, they don't try to vulcanize themselves to waterproof pannier linings, and the nylon cover prevents them from snagging lycra riding gear.

I not only use them to secure my rolled clothing, but to designate what's due for the wash on laundry day. They also compress my small stuff sacks containing my touring tools and my toilet kit so they can stand on-end in my panniers without the contents shifting.

Handy little bits!

Best,

Dan.