Author Topic: cycling specific trousers  (Read 18142 times)

jags

Re: cycling specific trousers
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2012, 11:52:57 am »
thanks folks got it ok a tad expensive and to young ::)

JWestland

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2012, 01:53:58 pm »
Well one the models on it is deffo late 30s/early 40s but now I don't know what age you are  :P
Pedal to the metal! Wind, rain, hills, braking power permitting ;)

jags

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2012, 04:33:08 pm »
I'm near enough at  that age when you ask people what age would you take me for ;D ;D
and then stick out the chest when they get it wrong  and say i'm  ;)

JWestland

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2012, 05:42:59 pm »
 ;D

Hope you find something!

There's nothing cycling specific non lycra for women at all.
All the trousers are male cuts...sigh...

Shiny black bums all around :D Hm maybe that's why there's nothing, the male designers don't want to lose out on the view :P

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2012, 06:39:04 pm »
...maybe that's why there's nothing, the male designers don't want to lose out on the view

I think you may have something there, Jawine, but I also think there may be less function-foremost when desiging women's cycling clothing, based on what I have seen in the stores and on female cyclists in my area this summer. There are very few proper short-sleeved jerseys for women being sold (and used...how to use if not available for sale?) here. Instead, there are lots of tank-cut tops and some ridicuously short cap-sleeves. As a result, there were also some pretty horrible sunburns during our spate of really hot weather this summer. I was stopped at a light and looked over, and the poor woman next to me had sunburn water blisters on her shoulders that were breaking and draining. She reached back and scratched, wished she hadn't, looked ruefully at me, and said, "I wish my jerseys had longer short-sleeves like yours. I guess it just isn't fashionable!"

Ah, there's a key influence, I think. Fashion. It's inflicting guys' wear as well, but I do see an awful lot of women's cycling clothing (yes, I do notice, but in a nice way*) that looks better suited to "spinning" classes in the gym rather than on-the-road use.

A shame, really. Like putting flower overwraps on crummy tool and labeling them "for women" and almost guaranteeing a bum job 'cos the tools are junk. Better a proper tool for the job, as my sister would far prefer over flower overlays.

I think it comes back to the misguided idea/preconception that people aren't capable...and providing them with tools to make it a self-fulfilling prophecy (nay, a "sure thing" if the tools are bad). I go off on rants about "kids'" cameras and such, too. If you want to introduce a child to photography -- and the child is responsible and serious about learning -- then a plastic box with a water-drop lens is not the way to go. Give them (and market) something small hands can use and grasp, but includes real tools for photography, like manual settings. It's a shame chemical photography has died out completely, as the best "learning" camera I found to introduce the principles of photography to children and neophytes (albeit too large for small hands) was the old Pentax K-100. Rugged, reliable, and nothing was better for really seeing what depth-of-field was all about.

For me, this all started with by rebelling against the over-large pencils we were required to use in kindergarten. My handwriting improved immediately when I was finally allowed to use a standard-diameter pencil.

All the best,

Dan. (who sometimes wishes the world made more sense...)

* I grew up in a family of sew-ers (I started to write "sewers" and realize it would read as if I was raised in the gutter!), and have long used a sewing machine myself for making panniers, cycling shoe overboots, rain gloves, filled vests, etc., so I tend to notice such things a bit more than average.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 07:04:54 pm by Danneaux »

Fred A-M

« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2012, 11:16:33 pm »
Having expanded a waist size and now having a commute worthy of the investment, I'm in the market for some (above) knee length shorts.  Used to be happy with Alturas, but being about 4 years since I last bought any, I was surprised to discover the trend for removable liners (which contain the padding) as the seeming default option, and the only option at the bike store I recently visited.  I just prefer the old fashioned (non-lycra) variety with the padding sewn in - any recommendations gratefully received, thanks.   

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2012, 03:29:29 am »
Hi Fred!

Nice to see you back here.  Are these shorts sort of what you have in mind?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004ELBYE2/?tag=hyprod-20&hvadid=19396421016&hvpos=1o4&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1722891099565498782&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&ref=asc_df_B004ELBYE2

I see a lot of similar items turn up when I use the search string, "mtb shorts +chamois".

I've gotta say (as someone who is "careful" when buying bike clothes and usually gets shorts and jerseys on closeouts and often finds the latter at the Goodwill thrift store), some of the prices for these things make me gasp. Wowza! Amazon lists these for up to ninety-one dollars -- for shorts?!?  I'd be skeert I'd hurt 'em and there goes the better part of a C-note (USD$100). Yikes. OTOH, some of these shorts and pants look very nice indeed, and True Quality lasts a long, long time, making some expensive shorts very cheap over the long haul.

Sierra Trading Post is a US company specializing in closeouts, overstocks, and last years' styles. In my own experience in the transactions I've had, their offerings can be a bit uneven, but they have a hassle-free good return policy. I got a wonderful deal there a couple years ago on my favorite Ex Officio Amphib shorts with built-in mesh brief that allows them to double as swiming trunks. They usually retail for around USD$65-$68 (and are truly worth it; the DuPont fabric treatment keeps them stain-free till they sun rot after 5 years of 6month/year -- May to October -- constant wear).

With that in mind, they do have the occasional killer deal. Among the current ones are these shorts, which might meet your needs:
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/canari-canyon-gel-baggy-cycling-shorts-for-men~p~4338d/?filterString=cycling~d~13%2F&colorFamily=01

Canari is...mmmokay in my experience, but the really good stuff is by Pearl Izumi, which STP also gets on occasion. Their cycling section is here: http://www.sierratradingpost.com/cycling~d~13/ I very much wish I had caught their closeout of Giordana black wool tights a couple years ago; my 30 year-old pair have worn till they're transparent in places, and I would dearly love to replace them. Mine have a double seat, double-faced knees, ankle zips and no chamois. Anyone know of something similar? Ibex carries some, but not with these features and not at the price I would hope for. I usually wear my wool tights when it is too cold for my lycra ones and when it is bitter, I wear them under the lycra ones; also ideal for camp use and sleeping in frigid temps.

Hope this helps.

All the best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 06:40:49 am by Danneaux »

jags

« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2012, 11:37:31 am »
Fred also look at Corrine dennis.co.uk excellent gear at good prices. ;)

JWestland

« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2012, 12:25:04 pm »
I think you may have something there, Jawine, but I also think there may be less function-foremost when desiging women's cycling clothing, based on what I have seen in the stores and on female cyclists in my area this summer.
###Whew, it seems to be ever worse over your end of the water! We do get plenty of cycling specific kit, but it's all geared towards lycra kit. However, the tops are like the men's tops, maybe different colours, but same sleeve length etc.

Ah, there's a key influence, I think. Fashion. It's inflicting guys' wear as well, but I do see an awful lot of women's cycling clothing (yes, I do notice, but in a nice way*) that looks better suited to "spinning" classes in the gym rather than on-the-road use.
###Spinning...sitting on a bike that goes nowhere, and you probably driven down to the class in a car. HONESTLY :)

A shame, really. Like putting flower overwraps on crummy tool and labeling them "for women" and almost guaranteeing a bum job 'cos the tools are junk. Better a proper tool for the job, as my sister would far prefer over flower overlays.
###Don't get me started on that, worst kind of sex-role confirming guff there is.

BTW there's sturdy digital cameras for kids these days that are...well not like film but not too bad.

For me, this all started with by rebelling against the over-large pencils we were required to use in kindergarten. My handwriting improved immediately when I was finally allowed to use a standard-diameter pencil.
###Mine is still bad. Nothing like black ink, pencils from 2H-8B for a bit of drawing though :)

Dan. (who sometimes wishes the world made more sense...)
###That's where you and me go wrong ;)

* I grew up in a family of sew-ers (I started to write "sewers" and realize it would read as if I was raised in the gutter!), and have long used a sewing machine myself for making panniers, cycling shoe overboots, rain gloves, filled vests, etc., so I tend to notice such things a bit more than average.
###I can't sew to save my life. But I can probably fix your PC ;)

BTW e-bay is, I found, a good place for lightly used clothing for good prices. But expensive brands still go for a reasonable price, as quality kit doesn't wear down quickly.

Tartalo

« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2012, 07:03:29 am »
I like the MUSA trousers, from Rivendell.

http://www.rivbike.com/Bottoms-s/125.htm

Fred A-M

« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2012, 07:16:48 pm »
Thanks Dan and Jags for the comprehensive response - I will go away and investigate - so great knowing that you'll never be short of considerations after posting a question to the Thorn forum! :-)

Cheers

Fred

jags

« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2012, 08:04:30 pm »
say fred did you get any tours in this year. :)

Fred A-M

« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2012, 12:14:43 pm »
Thanks for asking Jags, but no I didn't.  

Photography has become my main passion over the last 2 years, but now finally have a reasonable distance to commute on the RST - around trip of 14 miles.  I find getting out of London to access decent training circuits too much of a demand on my time (and motivation) and family commitments have also played their part it's fair to say.

If anyone's interested however (and at the risk of going wildly off topic!), I've set up Facebook page that features my very latest photography efforts:  https://www.facebook.com/FredAdamsPhotography, and if you scroll down you can see some of the highlights of the past year or two.  If you like what you see, feel free to like the page to get regular updates! :-)  
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 01:49:00 pm by Fred A-M »

jags

« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2012, 02:06:42 pm »
Cheers Fred your an artist with that camera  ;)

Fred A-M

« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2012, 02:39:19 pm »
Most kind of you Jags and thanks for the like - back on topic I'll definitely check out Corrine Dennis.co.uk for cycling shorts!

Cheers

Fred