Author Topic: A Sunday Run  (Read 2546 times)

Andybg

A Sunday Run
« on: November 28, 2011, 03:14:00 pm »
Here are the pics from my run out on Sunday on the Nomad.

It was a great run if somewhat exhausting.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: A Sunday Run
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 08:38:58 pm »
Really nice shots, Andy, and it helps to see you on the bike.  It appears to be a good fit, and it is surely a nice example of a Nomad.  Beautiful countryside, captured in some nice shots.

How do you boost it up to the cartop carrier?  Seems to me there must be a lot going on at some point.   :o  I've always pondered adding a rooftop carrier to the Honda, but wasn't at all sure I could get it up there *and secured* without courting disaster.  Well done, man; looking forward to any tips you might have.

Best,

Dan.

Andybg

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 11:01:22 am »
Yes the bike is a good fit. I was a bit concerned as the previous owner was 2 inches shorter than me but now I have it set up it feels very comfortable and easy to handle.

The roof bars are very good and I can highly reccomend. I keep them on the car all the time and they harldly cause any wind noise. Getting the bike on the roof takes some practice but one you get the knack it takes less than 30 seconds and holds the bike secure without damaging it.

Having the bars lets me get out on the bike much more often. Whenever the wife and I go out I will either set off before her and let her catch up or I will take the bike with me and cycle either all the way or part the way back.

As long as you can manage to pick the bike up to shoulder height the rest is easy.

I started using it with race bikes so perfected the art before trying it with weight.

Mine are thule and have locks so both the bars and the bike are secure. If leaving for an hour or so I generally put my bike lock through too just to be safe.

jags

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 06:24:31 pm »
great pics Andy but where your helmet ::)

Andybg

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 07:40:29 pm »
Not wanting to start a debate but I rarely ride with one. I use one for mountain biking (the little that I do) and and for track riding and I wear one when riding in big cities and that is about it.

I am in the camp that it overstates the dangers involved.

For that matter I dont like cycle routes at the side of roads. I think it makes other road users think that if there are no cycle lane / route we should not be there. It also makes other users of the lane think they dont have to ride sensibly.

I spent 2 years cycling in the netherlands which has cycle lanes beside most roads. The problem there is that it is illegal to ride on the road if there is a cycle lane and the cycle lane is filled with people with no road sense. OK if you are doing 5mph but seriously dangerous if you are motoring along at 25-30mph and someone just pulls out in front of you without looking.