Author Topic: RST Ride Review  (Read 5399 times)

Andybg

RST Ride Review
« on: November 23, 2011, 03:11:51 pm »
I managed today to get out on the RST for slightly longer run (about 20km) and the more I ride this bike the more I am enjoying it. My initial view of the bike being a bit skity has been replaced with one that is finely balanced. On high speed down hills and when climbing out of the saddle the bike is very stable. On the flat and on slight uphills the steering becomes light and responsive.

As you move your bodyweight around on the seat (even just sliding your body forward on the seat a couple of inches) you can feel the steering settle down and become more solid.

I am yet to try the bike loaded so will wait to report on that.

A short run today but at the day reaching a max temp of -4 about far enough.

I have ordered a tubus rear rack for the bike so atleast I can carry some basic items and a hot flask of coffee before venturing much further

RobertL

Re: RST Ride Review
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 08:15:40 am »
My RST just passed approximately 10,000 miles, 97% of which has been on fairweather commuting. It had a major service at The Bicycle Workshop which required a new chainring (a Thorn 42 vs the original 39), new chain, new tyres, adjusting and lubing, including the Alfine-8 hub. It also got new front wheel cones, I think. I fitted Gilles Berthold stainless steel mudguards, but more on that later.

The rear new tyre, Contact Sport 2, unfortunately got ripped by a big shard of glass, and a local bike shop supplied a Marathon plus. This last tyre made the bike quite hard to ride, on a downhill fast turn it would start to lose grip, which was not ideal. Also the stainless steel mudguard, while beautifully made, required constant attention.

Back to TBW where chrome plastic fenders and a Panaracer tyre were fitted - bicycle now back in very reliable shape.

After a decent shakedown cruise, the RST remains a real pleasure. The Alfine 8 is incredibly quiet, and the gear range is fine. 60% of my time is in 7th gear (around 18-19 mph), with 6th around 20%, 5th and 8th around 10% and 10% for 3rd and 4th - if that makes sense. I never use 1st or 2nd, but the steepest hill is only 10%.

It would be nice to take it on a long tour, I can see it is quite comfortable delivering 100 mile days, although have never ridden it under a touring load. Any touring would be pretty minimalist, so I can't imagine it carrying more than 15kg of gear.

Pavel

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 08:38:33 pm »
Photos, photos and more photos, gentlemen, please.  :)

energyman

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 04:07:37 pm »
RST's rule OK !
QED

RobertL

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 08:22:24 pm »
A couple of photos towards the end of today's commute. Next year am expecting my RST to be approaching 16, 000 miles, not quite an earth rounder, but a testament to the build quality of bike and components.

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2017, 02:20:07 pm »
Scout & Bettina's slave!

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2017, 02:22:37 pm »
Just love the colour Robert.
Scout & Bettina's slave!

Pavel

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2017, 03:48:39 am »
all in all I much enjoy my RST, but I'm of the opinion that it is twitchy.  If the front isn't loaded, it feels much too much like it obeys every bodily input and I don't like that feeling at all as it gets in the way of my looking around and enjoying the nature I'm riding through.  I wonder if it is not a speed related thing? I tend to like to putter around at between 8 and 12 miles per hour and in that range - it's too "responsive" and requires some concentration. Now if I use low riders and put in about 16 pounds (about 7 kilo) then it settles down very nicely.

That has me thinking of buying a new fork to change the trail characteristics.  I want something that wants to go straight, the kind of bike that feels like you can take your hands off while riding.  The problem is that I'm not sure what my fork rake is (it's a size 586 short), and neither do I know which way I should go - low trail or higher trail.  The logic of it suggests that I increase the trail, but my old Peugeot was superb in that handling respect and I believe it was on the very low trail end of things.  Any suggestions?  Has anyone else tried different forks, and if so ... what were the results?

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2017, 03:54:57 am »
FWIW, I can ride my Nomad no-hands very easily. But I have noticed that without my handlebar bag, the steering is a lot twitchier. My bag is mounted on an extension bar/stem thing, so it is pretty far off-axis. It may not need much weight if it is way out front!

Do you have a handlebar bag on your RST?

Pavel

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2017, 05:48:15 am »
Yes Jim, I do have a Carradice handlebar bag on both my RST and my Nomad.  I never go anywhere without them as I like to keep my lock and a few other small items inside. It takes lowriders and some weight however to get them wanting to continue straight, the RST being a bit more lively. Perhaps I'm just not co-ordinated? Riding no hands takes a good bit of concentration and always feels like a bad idea (which, of course, it is) :D

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2017, 02:35:31 pm »
Scout is 7 months old now and I can definitely confirm she is twitchy at the front but I actually like this as it helps to avoid potholes and the like. Yesterday we went shopping at the supermarket and I bought quite a bit. Then looked at Scout dressed in just her rear panniers and wondered how I was going to get it all in :-[. Luckily, I had my old Karrimor Iberian panniers on the rear rack and I managed (somehow) to get it all in. I feared for her back wheel and she was wallowing at the back. Decidedly dodgy to ride. I weighed the bags when I got home. 8.5Kg on each side!!! Poor Scout! If I'd have had front panniers she would have been better so I will need to get into the habit of using them - "just in case" ::) ::) ::)

Janet
PS have just bought her a Carradice bar bag (for my camera kit) and a Thorn extension bar so hopefully it will even things up a bit.
PPS. Scout is by far the most comfortable bike I have ever had (and Ive had a fair few).
Scout & Bettina's slave!

jags

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2017, 10:27:44 pm »
i carried a lot more weight than that on the Audax not a bother on her Janet .
but i'm well used to riding bike that's lightweight up front (carbon road bikes) .
i never liked the feel of the Sherpa the fork was way to heavy for my liking other than that tho nice machine.

anto.

Donerol

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2017, 03:59:21 pm »
Scout is 7 months old now and I can definitely confirm she is twitchy at the front but I actually like this as it helps to avoid potholes and the like. ...I feared for her back wheel and she was wallowing at the back. Decidedly dodgy to ride. I weighed the bags when I got home. 8.5Kg on each side!!!

I guess that the riding position will affect the ride according to one's weight distribution. You seem to have quite an upright position, so not as much weight over the front wheel as  you would have with, say,  drops. Also, some of the wallowing may be from the rear carrier rather than the bike. Looking at your photo above there is a big gap between the seat stays and the front edge of the rack, so much so that you need an extra extension to the fixing rods - it doesn't look as rigid as it might be.

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2017, 04:39:47 pm »
Scout is 7 months old now and I can definitely confirm she is twitchy at the front but I actually like this as it helps to avoid potholes and the like. ...I feared for her back wheel and she was wallowing at the back. Decidedly dodgy to ride. I weighed the bags when I got home. 8.5Kg on each side!!!

I guess that the riding position will affect the ride according to one's weight distribution. You seem to have quite an upright position, so not as much weight over the front wheel as  you would have with, say,  drops. Also, some of the wallowing may be from the rear carrier rather than the bike. Looking at your photo above there is a big gap between the seat stays and the front edge of the rack, so much so that you need an extra extension to the fixing rods - it doesn't look as rigid as it might be.

I'd agree with you, I do have a very up-right riding position. Since that photo was taken I've bought a new rack https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/carriers-racks/tor-tec-expedition-alloy-rear-cycle-rack-for-26-559-700c-622-wheels-black/ and it was this that I was using. Its supposed to be 'expedition' so I would not expect a lack of rigidity. I did tighten it up good. I need to try with the front panniers as well. All the more room for shopping ::) ;)

Janet
Scout & Bettina's slave!