Author Topic: Complaint from Motorist  (Read 6018 times)

allywatt

Complaint from Motorist
« on: November 22, 2011, 07:39:51 pm »

I'm not sure if I should be boasting about this, or keeping quiet...

I have a schmitt dynohub and edelex light on my Nomad, and like alot of people at the moment I'm doing much of my riding at night.  It's 9 miles to the nearest village from where we live and all of the journey is on unlit single track roads.  It's a small community, everyone knowing each other and I like to keep my head down; so it came as a surprise to me when a friend told me that I was being talked about - not because of my athletic good looks or speed on my bike - but because of my front light!  I had noticed that many oncoming vehicles were being more polite and stopping to let me pass since I started to ride with the Nomad, but thought nothing of it.  Apparently my front light is 'too bright and dazzles oncoming vehicles so they have to pull in to avoid driving into the ditch', well I never - long live dyno-power!     ;)

Any one else experience this?

JimK

• Interdependent Science
Re: Complaint from Motorist
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 08:03:51 pm »
How do you have the light directed? The edelux has a rather sharp horizontal cut-off. I've got my light tilted down slightly so the horizontal cut-off hits the road down range a fifty yards or so. If you have the light aimed too high, it really is too bright for on-coming traffic!

allywatt

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 08:38:57 pm »
Hi, thanks for the response - I think you've hit the nail on the head - coming from cheap battery lights to what I've got now, I'm amazed that dyno-powered lighting is so effective that there is this problem.  I want to see as far along the road as the light will allow me to - there are cows on the road, some of them black, and a black cow at night in the rain is very difficult to see, hence the high lamp angle.  Do I need to be more considerate?

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 08:56:54 am »
Allywatt,

<nods>  Yes, it doesn't take much to put a lot of light into the eyes of oncoming drivers if a dyno-powered LED headlight is mis-aimed just a smidge.  The attached photo shows my SON28-powered B&M IQ Cyo R Senso headlight with nearfield illumination and cutoff in daylight. 

Yikes!  I had no idea.  This is from 200 meters away, shot with the camera head-high.  Imagine it from behind the wheel of a car.  All this from a B&M-rated 40lux.

This is just a *little* above the point where it causes no glare, thanks to the razor-sharp cutoff.  I'm glad my sister took this photo or I would never have realized.  My father thought it looked like a welding arc.

More nighttime aiming work ahead so I can be <ahem> socially acceptable.

Chagrined,

Dan.

Andre Jute

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 12:50:11 pm »
The Edelux is based on the BUMM Cyo 60 lux lamp. These Cyo have a very sharp horizontal cutoff. The way to set it up is to arrive at an empty supermarket carpark in the middle of the night and look around for the bottom of a hoarding or a window ledge or suchlike horizontal line about one meter (36-40 inches will do) off the ground. Then measure out 100m (yards will do) on your bike's odometer and put your water bottle on the ground as a marker. Then ride circles around the water bottle and adjust the lamp until its light does not spill over the horizontal line you chose. The measurements are not critical as to precision. This is enough to keep you legal.

I have both the "Nearfield" 40 lux and "Sports" 60 lux Cyo and prefer the nearfield lamp for its wider spread; far more useful for everyday activities. As far as I can tell, subjectively (can't be bothered to measure -- the Germans no doubt measured right), the reach of the 40 and 60 lux Cyo is for practical purposes the same. However, speedier friends love the Edelux, and advise that it must be set up with extra care.

In fact, I set my Cyo a fraction lower, just around 75cm/30in cutoff, because I ride on lanes, day and night, where I am known and most of the residents are considerate of cyclists, so I repay the courtesy. That's good for about 60-70kph on my twisty downhills, say 35-40mph. But I don't see the point of buying an Edelux to set it that slow (not a typo!).

WRT Dan's informative and instructive photograph, it won't matter whether he has the lamp at a legal level or below, tests I made showed it will be visible in daylight, though a certain amount of the glare in his sister's photo was added by the camera. The LED inside the Cyo is good for the rest of your life, minimum, so there is no saving in foregoing its use as a daylight running lamp, leaving it on whenever the bike moves. The switches on mine are permanently set on. It's a waste of money paying for the switched version, though generally that's all that is on offer. But there is, at least theoretically in the catalogue sense, a cheaper unswitched version intended for sidewall generators, if you can find one.

Andre Jute
http://coolmainpress.com/BICYCLING.html

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 06:48:06 pm »
Andre,

Thanks for the aiming tips, helpful as always; reminds me of what I did aiming imported German- and French-market automobile projector lights in the '70s and '80s.  Lots of late-night, parking  lot, store-wall aiming sessions to get things just right, but it surely paid off in the end. 

And, yes, I'm beginning to absorb these things are worth having on in daytime.  Quite a concept to get my mind 'round compared to the old halogen headlights attached to bottom-bracket generators of my past.  I decided against the Cyo with the daytime running-light option so I would have maximum power available to the Tout Terrain The Plug 2 for daytime battery charging, but this opens up new possibilities when I want/need to be seen on the road.  Oncoming drivers on rural roads here have a nasty habit of passing cars when they are just opposite a cyclist and swinging wide nearly to the shoulder.  It is a bit unsettling to face a car closing on you at 100kph+ just a meter or two off your left hand.  They come pretty close, so it would help to know they really can see me.

I've attached a couple reduced photos from the B&M site ( http://www.bumm.de/produkte/dynamo-scheinwerfer/lumotec-iq-cyo.html ), showing the relative reach and dispersion of the 40lux and 60lux Cyo beams.  They have a nice diagram explaining their reverse-mirror reflector design here:  http://www.bumm.de/innovationoriginal/iq-tec.html  Nearfield diagrams here: http://www.bumm.de/innovationoriginal/nahfeldausleuchtung.html  Google's language-blender does a nice job translating these.  Some additional photos of beam patterns are at Peter White's site:  http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/headlights.asp  I looked long and hard at these when making my selection, and Andre, I must agree the 40lux was superior for my needs.  A Dutch friend had the earlier IQFly at 40lux without the nearfield pattern.  I was impressed by the light when we toured the Netherlands' Green Heart, but equally impressed when he clattered through potholes obscured by the "pit of darkness" just ahead of the bike.  He could see the potholes coming, then nothing, then "UH! found it...".  I realized I needed the nearfield option for tootling along on dirt, rock, gravel and sand roads well past midnight or through the night on my tours and long day rides.

Best,

Dan.

Andre Jute

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2011, 02:19:54 pm »
Dan's letter reminds me that the Cyo is already in its second generation, now with added daylight running LEDs.

What Dan and I are talking about is running a first generation Cyo fulltime, whenever the bike moves, in daylight as a daylight running lamp, at night to see by and be seen.

It seems to me obvious that the first gen Cyo would be better at being a daylight running lamp (see Dan's photo further up the thread) than a few low power LEDs chosen to leave some juice over for charging batteries.

But there is a more important reason to rush out and buy the first gen Cyo while you can still get it. It is that BUMM has messed with the reflector. There have been complaints out of Germany and elsewhere that the second gen Cyo isn't as good a lamp from a cyclist's viewpoint... Worth looking into before you spend Cyo money on a lamp (especially if you're starting from scratch and must buy a hub dynamo and a good rear light as well, plus battery flashers to run in addition front and rear for a "bicycle signature", which together can consume the thick end of the price of a Trek mountainbike... Plus, if you're going to take seeing and being seen seriously, at least four spoke reflectors, and tyres with reflective bands.)

Andre Jute

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2011, 09:05:09 am »
Andre,

I could not agree more; good lighting is very expensive, but absolutely essential for safety if one is serious about riding at night (or simply finds oneself doing so with any regularity).  In fact, budgeting for the lights was a good part of the reason why I went with a Sherpa rather than one of Thorn's Rohloff offerings.  It came down to a choice between a bare-bones Rohloff bike I could not safely or completely use in a major part of my riding versus a fully-equipped Sherpa that met every possible need for my every use.  Easy choice given my budget, and I don't feel cheated.

To add a tiny bit to your suggestion regarding wheel reflectors; I've found it to be more attention-getting if the reflectors are paired next to each other on a wheel, to produce a trackable "wobble" rather than a "ring of light".  It also helps to place retro-reflective tape in a line inside the rim between four or five adjacent spokes.  To avoid wheel balance problems, I've had good luck using highly retro-reflective tape made into little triangular "spoke flags".  Retro-reflective tape is far more effective at directing light back to the source than is regular reflective tape, but is very expensive even in small quantities.  It can sometimes be recognized by the "honeycomb" pattern running across the top surface.   It seems the lack of symmetry catches the driver's eyes more quickly here, where I need every bit of help to be seen.   It is a bit of a shock to come to a traffic light and see a driver next to me, avidly watching television on a sun visor or rearview-mirror monitor.  Of course they are illegal, but heavy window tinting -- also illegal -- makes them possible.  Makes me realize I'm not a fellow road user, but a minor intrusion into his or her mobile living room; a pretty fine line between me and tragedy.  A Scottish student at the University of Oregon here in Eugene was rear-ended and killed by a fellow student at 2AM one night  last week.  The cyclist -- a promising world-class skier with a major in sports marketing and a job on offer in London -- was in the bike lane and the driver was drunk beyond the legal definition.  Such a horrible shame; two lives lost, and each just a school term before graduation.

Yes, that Cyo is likely to stay on every moment I'm not charging batteries.  Just as important is what's going on at the back of the bike.  I went with a B&M Toplight Line Plus so drivers can get a better idea of just where I am.  B&M cite studies showing the wider line of light (basically a prism directing the output of two LEDs) is better for judging distance at night than a single, narrow source with no reference.  I added a Portland Design Works Radbot 1-watt LED battery blinky to the rack for when I really need to be seen in dense commuter traffic, day or night. A Blackburn Mars 4.0 1-watt LED blinky rides on the rack-top pack.  Multiple reflectors back there, too, and reflective leg bands and sometimes a reflective vest on me if it's a 300-400km day ride where I know I'll be riding well into or through the night in the darker seasons.

Best,

Dan.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2011, 10:00:12 pm »
Inspired by this discussion, I went out the other evening and tweaked the direction of my edelux headlight up a couple of degrees. Today I went out for a bit of a ride which brought me home in the fading light. I was heading east on a busy rode, so the on-coming traffic had the sun behind me. It was a light overcast but still not the best for traffic visibility.

There is a popular fruit stand along that road - always a traffic hazard. As I neared that spot, a big SUV was coming from the other direction and its left turn signal went on - it was going to cross my lane to get into the fruit stand parking lot. But lo, the SUV stopped to let me go by!

That good bright headlight earned its keep today!