Author Topic: Quick 'n' easy bar-end shifter cable replacement  (Read 2433 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Quick 'n' easy bar-end shifter cable replacement
« on: November 13, 2011, 03:47:04 am »
Hi All,

A gentle reminder for those with bar-end shifters who need to replace derailleur cables --

You do *not* need to untape and retape the handlebars to accomplish this, contrary to some recent forum threads and websites elsewhere.  Thanks to the Power and Authority of the Internet, a dismayed friend was convinced everything had to come apart and could not imagine doing the job while on-tour.

Instead, all one needs to do is use a screwdriver to undo and remove the machine screw retaining the bar-end shifter.  Remove the shifter, remove the cable, thread the new cable through the bar-end lever, and then thread the cable through the hole in the bar-end housing.  Replace the shift lever, tighten the lever retention machine screw, and you're done at that end of things.  An easy field repair, and if you have a Wenger or Victorinox Swiss Army Knife at hand, the large slotted screwdriver blade is just the right size to do accomplish the task without damaging the slot.

Finish threading the derailleur cable through its housing and stops, fix it to the derailleur, adjust tension, and the job is complete.  Shouldn't take more than 8 minutes if you're a bit leisurely about it.

Best,

Dan.

rualexander

Re: Quick 'n' easy bar-end shifter cable replacement
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 05:17:33 pm »
Surely this is the obvious way to replace the inner cables?
I've always done it this way.
It would be bizarre to undo the bar tape etc. for this purpose.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Quick 'n' easy bar-end shifter cable replacement
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 05:28:39 pm »
I couldn't agree more!  Still, my friend was convinced by what he'd read...and he *isn't* used to working on bikes, hence my post.

Cheerily,

Dan.