Author Topic: 100,000km up  (Read 3829 times)

Nuncio

100,000km up
« on: November 09, 2011, 08:43:11 pm »
Hello all.

I thought I'd just make my first post by saying that on today's commute I passed the 100,000km mark on my Thorn Brevet, bought in January 2001. That's CTC Sunday rides and a few weekend rides to start with, building to shorter Audaxes, my first 400km in 2004 and the odd commute, year off in 2005 with bad knee, regular commutes and first Super Randonneur series in 2007,  all year round commuting from 2008, London Edinburgh London and 10,000 miles in 2009, Mille Cymru 2010, 5th SR and PBP this year - all on the same bike. I don't know how many chains, cassettes, tyres and rims I've gone through (2 rims have exploded on me at inopportune times) but the original frame, forks, stem, bars and (now seized) seatpost have shared all those miles with me and approaching 80 Audaxes.  I have yet to DNF an Audax (though came close last Saturday becuase of tyre problems).  The original business case has been surpassed, I feel.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
Re: 100,000km up
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 09:05:38 pm »
Congratulations! That's just awesome!

jags

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 09:08:16 pm »
wow you make me feel like a total fred fair play to you great bit of cycling .
so in all the changes you made what is the best you've bought so far ;)

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 09:42:51 am »
Well done!  Top Achievement.

slim

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 11:00:09 am »
Hi Nuncio that's amazing. You've not only done a lot of riding but also managed to resist the impulse to upgrade your bike for a seriously looong time.

How did you do that?

Nuncio

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 12:03:41 pm »
Thanks all.

Best 'additions':  SON dynohub with cyo light, and Brooks saddle.

How to resist the urge for the +1?
a) Being happy with the bike.
b) Not having unlimited funds, unfortunately.

Having said that, a new bike is in the pipeline.  Not as a replacement, but as a Sunday best (or should that be 'Sabbath' best?); I fully expect the Thorn Brevet to reach an imperial 100,000.  I was a bit worried recently with a creaking at the back end somewhere, assuming a crack to the stays or something similar, but eventually pinned it down to a missing seatpost bolt.  I think I'd removed it when trying unseccessfully to unseize it, and forgotten to put it back.

Milemuncher

• Pedaling on Regardless
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 07:57:29 pm »
Wow!  Quite an achievement.  Congratulations! :)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 02:34:50 am »
Wonderful effort, Nuncio!  You should rightfully feel proud.  Best wishes for many more happy, safe miles on your new steed and all good on you!

Dan.

jags

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2011, 01:43:58 pm »
nuncio what wheels did you go for when you upgraded to sun dynmo  and where did you buy. thanks.

Nuncio

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2011, 07:22:51 pm »
Thanks Danneaux.

jags- I bought the complete wheel from SJS - Mavic Open Pro.  I'd had a Shimano one from Spa Cycles before that. It was a lot cheaper than the SON and just as efficient/effective.  But after two years the bearings went and I couldn't get a descent repair. The same thing happened after nearly four years with the SON but it was really easy to get it sorted - quick phone call to SJS, posted it, and had it back (via Germany, of course) as good as new within a couple of weeks. The procedure was so slick it makes you wonder if there's a weakness there.  But if I get another 4 years out of it I'll be happy.  And I've moved from a B&M lumotech light (with bulb), through IQ Fly LED to IQ Cyo 60-thingies (can never remember if it's lux or lumens) which is just brilliant - pun intended.  Fit and forget, see and be seen. I got a great deal on that from Roseversand - I think it worked out at less than £40 even with the postage.

I've since moved to Rigida Chrina rims. I was getting through Open Pros too quickly. I do a lot of hills, use the one wheel in all conditions, am very front brake 'heavy' (hardly ever use the rear), and am lazy about cleaning rims and blocks, but I reckon that Chrinas are a bit more robust than Open Pros, if a little heavier.

geocycle

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2011, 10:30:17 am »
That's quite an achievment, well done and much respect.  It's hard to imagine 10,000 miles a year for 10 years!  I am interested in the longevity of the components that your experience offers.  40,000 miles from the SON bearings seems quite good to me and if they have replaced them, another 40,000 will be excellent.  It would be interesting to know how long your rims last as few of us have had a big enough sample to make meaningful comparisons.  Personally, on that sort of mileage I would be looking at Rigida tungsten carbide coated rims despite the small weight penalty.

Andre Jute

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2011, 09:42:33 pm »
Congratulations, Nuncio. That is just awesome. Like Geocycle says, "much respect".

Andre Jute

Nuncio

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2011, 09:36:50 am »
Whoa there, but it was kms not miles - sorry to disappoint – and nearer 11 years than 10 (but one of those years was nearly a complete washout with a bad knee). I've only managed one 10,000+ miles year in that time. I would have come close again this year but have eased off a little after Paris Brest Paris.

I did notice I'm on for (Asberger's alert!) an average of 500m ascent per day for this year, though.  Currently on 540m, but likely to tail off when I revert to a less hilly commute when the weather turns.  And I'm away on holiday - bikeless -at the end of the year.

At a guess I'd say I was getting about 6-7,000 miles on the Open Pros, but less through Winter.  I'm pretty sure the Chrinas will outlast them comfortably.  I'll look out for tungsten carbide, geocycle.  I'm never sure when the optimum time is to change the rims - it's just a 'run the finger round and see how concave they are' test, or a 'pump them up hard and see if they splay at all' test.  I have twice left it too long.  I had a front wheel blow-out coming down the Devils's Elbow a couple of years ago which was a bit scary.  My heavy and cautions braking may have been the straw that broke the camel's back but at least I was going slowly enough that I could come to a controlled stop. The other time was when I was taking two days to cycle back from my Mum's in Lincolnshire to home in South Wales and there was a big bang, coming down a steep hill to Two Dales in the Derbyshire dales.  I had to call for a taxi to a great bike shop in Matlock which sorted me out with a new rims, and I was on my way. 

I’m reluctant to offer advice on tyres,  because a)I can’t be bothered to record mileage for them so can’t compare tyre life accurately, b) I never really notice any difference with road-holding and performance and c) I’m coming to the conclusion that they are all much-of-a-muchness.  I’ve gone through phases of Gatorskins, Krylions, GP 4 Seasons and am now giving Schwalbe Durano Plus a go.

And other consumables: just bog-standard Shimano groupset.  I use SRAM chains and have never had a problem with snapping. I think I’m getting a bit more life out of chains and cassettes using a 1000km rotation system on three chains.  It looks as if I’ll get at least 9,000km out of the cassette and chains which may be a little bit more than a single one use and throw away.