Author Topic: Anyone own an Ortlieb medium saddle bag?  (Read 8652 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Anyone own an Ortlieb medium saddle bag?
« on: November 05, 2011, 06:06:11 pm »
Hi All,

Does anyone in the Forum own an Ortlieb saddle (underseat) bag in the medium size? ( http://www.ortliebusa.com/CartGenie/prod-39.htm )  If so, I need to know if it tapers side to side from front to back and if so, how much.  I found the actual measurements on the Ortlieb website, but cannot determine from the actual dimensions if it tapers.  It'd be nice to know before incurring unwanted double shipping costs if a return is needed.

I think this is what I need to hold my 26x2.0 tube, multi-tool with tire levers. Crank Bros. spare mini-pump, glued- and glueless patch kits, and a couple pair of nitrile gloves.  "Just big enough and no more" is what I'm after, coupled with waterproofness.  I currently have another brand, but it does not taper and hits my inner thighs and the materials and construction are terribly cheap and poorly done.

Thanks!

Dan.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 09:17:55 pm by Danneaux »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Anyone own an Ortlieb medium saddle bag?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 04:49:03 pm »
Problem solved: After considerable agonizing and scouring the 'Net for accurate measurements,  I bought both size Small and a Medium Ortlieb Plus saddlebags and will return the one that doesn't fit my stuff or clear my thighs.

I'll post the actual tapered measurements of these wedge bags when I get them in hopes it will help someone else.

Lest you think ill of me, the online firm selling them elsewhere in my state has a "buyer's club" discount points plan, and encourages this sort of "try and buy", so long as the returned merchandise is in new condition with tags.  They see it as a substitute for showroom "look 'n' feel" and results in more sales overall for them.  Sounds like a win-win at only the cost of return postage.  Efforts to buy from local bike shops were unsuccessful, thanks largely to the state of our economy here in my part of the US.  Every local shop advised me they can now only afford to carry the best-selling items, and any others might be available for special order at my expense, with no possibility for return.  I sympathize with their position, but this would mean buying sight-unseen, which I cannot afford if the product is unsuitable.  I'm beginning to see this throughout the supply chain.  A local fastener shop now carries metric stainless bolts only by special order....1,000 minimum in the same size, paid in advance with shipping costs. They are holding on by the skin of their teeth.  Even the poorer-selling sizes of zip-ties have disappeared for the same reason, and a local electronics supplier said they could only accept orders for large quantities of heat-shrink tubing in specific sizes and have made drastic layoffs.  Frustrating and more than a little scary, as shops and businesses cannot afford to maintain back-stocks of poor-selling material (matter) and materiel (supplies) and things are tightening up at the shops as well as the larger chains like Wal-Mart, who announced a stock-restructuring plan last summer.  The supply chain is breaking down at the DIY level, and specific choice is much more limited as businesses cannot afford the risk of a slow-moving inventory.  I suppose Thorn must run into something similar when they warn of occasional shortages and the need for substitutions.  A good argument, I suppose, for getting the Thorn of your dreams sooner rather than later.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 09:18:30 pm by Danneaux »

Joatamon

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 10:02:51 pm »
Cycling luggage is so personal and the on-line pictures rarely show exactly what you need to see.  Often, I will search Google Images to get real-world user pictures.

After a decade or more of regularly buying on-line, I've recently become comfortable with the notion of ordering two or more variations of something and simply sending back what's unsuitable.   When the items arrive with a pre-printed form which makes the return process as easy as the purchase, I'll use that seller again. 

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 09:29:34 pm »
The Small and Medium Ortlieb saddlebags arrived, and I have settled on the Medium, which actually packs smaller than the Small, due to less interior crowding and therefore better vertical compression when rolled shut and secured. Bottom line:  You really have to look at them in person or send for a couple to have any real idea of size and clearance.  Despite warnings by some online sites, they both nicely fit the rails on my B.17, and they both cleared my thighs because they taper in width.

There's few accurate measurements for these bags 'cos they are multidimensional in shape, vary in capacity and compressibility depending on how much they are rolled, and they vary in both interior stiffener length and basic reach from mounting plate to seatpost -- and that reach is adjustable in 4 steps via a movable docking bracket. All sizes end in a half-round plastic cradle that mates with the seatpost and is secured with a velcro strap to stabilize the bag.  Proper mounting means moving the bag forward on its bracket until this cradle contacts the seatpost.  For my Sherpa with a Brooks B.17 saddle and a long-layback seatpost, the Small *just* fit with some stretching, and the Medium made it with no issues, thanks to a more rearward mounting plate and a longer "nose" to the saddle bag.  All sizes have a little plastic guide to allow for a compression strap (to minimize rattles and vertical size) or for nylon webbing adapter straps to mount the bags to sprung saddles.  Only the Medium and Large have an additional plastic guide to allow mounting an LED blinky taillight, though I can't imagine how the light would end up vertical.

The Ortlieb instructions say to roll the end shut 2-3 times to achieve secure closure and waterproofness. After squinting at the instructions and making several attempts, I concluded "rolling" equates to "flipping" and thus refers to half-turns (180 degrees) and not full ones (360).

It also means the effective minimum capacity is limited by the "roll" bottoming out at the edge of the interior bag stiffener (3 flips); maximum capacity is 2 flips, which means the bag is larger but less secure and less waterproof, so I'd recommend sizing a bag to allow three flips over the desired contents.  This makes for a secure closure and the rear reflective patch is then vertical for maximum visibility.  As a bonus, 3 flips/turns makes the "handle" formed by the rolled ends and buckles snuggle close to the bag and adds minimal overall length for a neater appearance and less interference with a rack-top load.

Stuffing the Small size to capacity, I got the following measured dimensions:

Minimum Size (= 3 flip-turns):
Vertically (looking down from on high):  75mm wide at front, tapering to a compartment width of 150mm at the rear, over a distance of 130mm front-to-rear.  The rolled material is added to the rear, making an overall length (F-R) of 170mm.
Horizontally (in profile, or looking from the side):  The length remains the same, but the height of the storage compartment tapers from 75mm tall at the front to 85mm at the rear, exclusive of the mounting plate and bracketry. Clearance for the mounted bag will vary depending on the angle and length of your saddle rails, and whether it is mounted on the horizontal portion or where the rails turn up.

Maximum size (= 2 flip-turns which I don't feel is nearly as secure):
Vertically: 75mm wide at the front, tapering to a compartment width of 150mm at the rear (10mm wider than when it is flipped 3x).  The rolled material is added to the rear, making an overall length of 200mm, since the looser roll makes the bag ens into a handle of sorts that extends rearward instead of snugging against the bag as when rolled 3x.
Horizontally in profile: 75mm at the front to 95mm at the rear (10mm taller than when it is flipped 3x).

Ortlieb's dimensions as listed on the Small product tag are (with little hand-drawn arrows): 9cm high, 7/11cm F-R, and 12cm diagonally, which I guess is length overall, none of which matched my measurements. The Medium packs smaller and weighs nearly the same as the Small, has no crowding or security issues, and snuggles against the seatpost with no strain, so the choice for me was easy.

I won't measure the Medium 'cos I've got it happily packed with stuff and mounted.  Pics show the Medium in place with the Sherpa bare and with a full touring load, which it just clears perfectly.  Maybe this will help someone else trying to determine which size to buy.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 09:26:46 pm by Danneaux »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 08:13:03 pm »
Of course, now I've agonized over which bag to get and made a decision, I found the pictures that would have made it much easier from the start!

You can see a nice comparison of the Small, Medium, and Large Ortlieb Plus saddlebags mounted in turn on the same bicycle at:

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/bebike/item/ortlieb_f96ls/

Just scroll on down the page.  The comparison is especially nice in showing how the saddle bag "noses" extend forward compared to the mounting plate, and how this differs by bag size *and* how the docking bracket needs to be adjusted fore and aft to make it fit.  The photos make clear why the Medium was required with my long-layback (offset) seatpost; the cradle that contacts the seatpost was really straining to make contact on the Small model.

Most of these bags seem to be closed with just 2 turns.  Keep in mind that with 3 turns, the effective rearward end of the storage compartment is at the end of the stiffener, where the bag starts to turn downward in these photos.  The material behind that point is comprised of the rolled fabric and the "ears" that end in the Fastex-style buckles and is therefore useless in terms of storage.  Rolling the bags tightly uses up the excess fabric and stores the ends tight against the bag, under tension.  The result is a nice, clean look with minimum space used and maximum visibility of the reflector.

I hope this will answer some of the questions received in off-forum correspondence.

Best,

Dan.

il padrone

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2011, 02:07:36 am »
I had an Ortlieb large saddlebag that I used for Audax rides to carry day gear and a bit of food. It was always a bit tight to pack things in and I also used a handlebar bag for extra capacity. Finally I sold it after I got the Carradice SQR Tour - lovely bag with an extremely secure mounting mechanism.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2011, 02:16:35 am »
Your bikes are surely set-up nicely, Pete.  That Carradice SQR Tour is one large bag!  Very nicely mounted, and just about completely invisible to the wind, I would imagine.  Neat mount, too...looks as if it would remove and dock securely in a blink!  I can see this working with a back rack to nicely replace a rack-top pack yet still leave room for some small panniers on the sides if desired.  With the possible addition of a handlebar bag, you'd be all set for extended hosteling or "credit card" touring -- terrific for rando events.  In good weather, I could almost see a down quilt in there and the rest of one's clothing and a few snack items in the HB bag and you're there.  Nice, tight, ultralight touring setup.

Sure helps to see these things mounted; good photo.

Best,

Dan.