Author Topic: Your choice for the *best* waterproof saddle cover?  (Read 15291 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Your choice for the *best* waterproof saddle cover?
« on: November 08, 2011, 03:47:13 am »
Hi All,

With the advent of Fall (otherwise known as Monsoon Season) here in the US Pacific Northwest, my thoughts are turning once again to an effective cover for the Brooks saddle on my Sherpa.

I currently use a lightweight, urethane-coated nylon dry sack with taped seams and a Fastex clip closure and put the whole of the bag over the saddle and underseat bag, then clip it together 'round the seat tube junction.

It works, but is less than ideal for my needs, as it is larger and sloppier than I'd like and is a pain to store when wet.  Ideally, I'd like...

= Snug fit for my Brooks B.17 saddle; needn't accommodate a seat bag-loop mounted load but should clear, say, an Ortlieb saddle bag hung from the rails.
= Completely waterproof, including the seams.
= Durable and long-lasting.
= Suitable for covering the saddle on a parked bike (upright thanks to the Click-Stand); don't intend to ride on it 'cos _I_ cover the saddle then.
= Drawstring to keep it in place in windy conditions, avoiding elastic which too often loses its elasticity before its time.
= Some sort of tether to keep it attached to the bike when unused.  Some sort of means to roll or stuff it, then affix it to the saddle rails, ready for use.  POE (Pacific Outdoor Equipment) did something similar with their Dry Hive seatbag that incorporated a saddle cover ( http://pacoutdoor.com/bike-gear/view/dry-hive ), but I prefer a different sort of seat bag. 

I think I'd really like to get a Truant Designs saddle cover ( http://www.phred.org/~alex/bikes/truant-saddle-cover.html ) but alas, the company is no more.  Nifty design and a great opportunity for someone else to make.  I'll bet Ortlieb could make a good one.  The Brooks looks good ( http://www.brooksengland.com/catalogue-and-shop/spareparts/maintenance+products/Rain+Cover/ ), but think I'd like something with a slightly more svelte fit.  The Carradice model  ( http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/carradice.asp ) looks promising (seat bag loop ports!) and is a nice cordura, but has the dreaded elastic and some suspicious-looking stitching across the top.  Aardvark make a waterproof model ( http://www.amazon.com/Aardvark-Waterproof-Std-Seatcover-Black/dp/B001AYKR6M ) out of either neoprene or some sort of coated lycra material that people have reported is easy to lose accidentally.  Jandd's offering looks promising, and apparently others have found the cord can be made captive to the saddle rails to prevent loss ( http://olybikes.posterous.com/jandd-waterproof-saddle-cover ).  Have I missed one in my list?

Any suggestions or endorsements from Thorn Forum members? 

Thanks in advance! 

Best,

Dan.

Andre Jute

Re: Your choice for the *best* waterproof saddle cover?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 08:51:51 am »
I've only ever had the Brooks cover, which is waxed cotton tarpaulin, with elastic. I think it is a custom job for the bigger, sprung Brooks saddles as it has a velcro strap which attaches to a crossbar below the rear springs. The velcro also serves to roll it up small so it fits in a saddlebag pocket. (I mean a small pocket: my saddlebag is actually a lady's Italian fine leather handbag and the outside pockets are quite small.) My Brooks cover is less than three years old but I can see that the velcro will fail to work eventually, as they all do. A leather or nylon strap with a clip or buckle would be superior, but I don't suppose a saddle cover is supposed to last as long as the saddle itself.

Nor can I report on its dryness in the kind of touring use you envisage, though others here can no doubt inform you. Though it rains here often, mine has been exposed at the very most to an hour's worth of light drizzle or lesser periods of heavier rain. It laughs those off, of course. But then so do the unprotected leather saddle- and bar-bags, which have no cover, just a wipe of the Brooks saddle-goop. (All of those do better than a Goretex jacket, precisely like the one good old Chris wore all the way up Everest, which on me passes water the wrong way...)

But every Brooks cover I've ever seen would fail to meet your specifications at the tidy fit barrier. While comfortable to sit on, the thing doesn't fit elegantly at all. The cut is pretty sloppy, with the elastic holding it on rather than the shape. Whether it would flap irritatingly in the wind outside a tent at night... maybe not. But visually it's sorta crude in a horsey way. And, if you use it inside out, Brooks name to the inside so as not to advertise an expensive saddle to thieves, people will think you bought the cheapest cover possible.

Andre Jute
TROLLBAIT: Why, oh why, couldn't Brooks make the Cheeko90 in leather?

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 12:54:35 pm »
Here's another for your list, latex:

http://www.wallbike.com/saddle-accessories/seatcap-saddle-cover

I had a Brooks cover that was nylon rather than cotton. I used it on my city bike, which stays outside always. That seat cover split after just a few years. I imagine it was the ultraviolet exposure that killed it. Nowadays on that city bike I just have a cotton book bag over the saddle, a bag coated on the inside with urethane.

For my Thorn I have some kind of neoprene-type stretchy cover, but I got that years ago and far away! (Actually I think it was from Bike Gallery in Beaverton, Oregon - not so far from you, Dan! I lived near there from 1996 to 2007.)

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 01:16:49 pm »
Ain't google fun! Dan, these folks are in your back yard!

http://www.randijofab.com/products-page/bicycle-accessories/saddle-cover

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 04:02:05 pm »
*Two* terrific ideas, Jim!  Thanks so much; I'll check them out.  Yes, Google _is_ grand!  Randi Jo lives in the little village of Elkton, always a beautiful drive or ride on the way from the Willamette Valley to the Coast.  It is always worthwhile for the chance to see Roosevelt Elk, if nothing else; magnificent creatures that gather along the way in large feeding groups.  Bike Gallery is always a favorite, and I must go there for a look-see nect time I'm in Portland; it has been years since my last visit.

The Sherpa's coming together...sent for some long-sleeved chainring mounting nuts from SJS Cycles yesterday do I can mount the BBG Bicycle Bash Guard; will post pics when it arrives.  The Tout Terrain Plug 2 is in place and producing current through its USB port, the IQ Cyo R Senso Plus with Nearfield optics is working great, and the computer is installed...all with no excess visible wiring, thanks to stuffing the excess into the steerer..  Next up is wiring the Toplight Line Plus taillight through the rear fender and swapping in a different cassette.  Ortlieb underseat bags are arriving today, so I can choose which size works best.  Whew!

Any input on the other choices in waterproof saddle covers, anyone?

Best,

Dan.

JimK

• Interdependent Science

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 01:01:44 am »
TROLLBAIT: Why, oh why, couldn't Brooks make the Cheeko90 in leather?

I'll take the bait, Andre!

I am a firm believer in using what works best for oneself, and a quick look at the Cheeko90 (see pics, borrowed from the 'Net, below) shows it might address problems that bedevil a number of riders.  There is no saddle nose, and the broad cushion might help folks find their "comfort spot".  I know someone who, because of a hip problem, cannot sit squarely on any saddle, and this might help.  Yes, I imagine Brooks could do a nice job constructing one of these.

Andre, you and I share a similar design aesthetic, and a love for thoughtful, rational design and evident craftsmanship .  I tend to seek out items, components, objects whose designs speak to me and resonate at a core level.  Some things aren't fungible; regardless of price or reputation, saddles differ and there may be no substitute for a favorite model.  The literal seat of knowledge --one's bum -- is the best judge!  Sometimes, the most plebian of products will serve admirably, though a conjunction of materials, aesthetic, and design are the ideal and one needn't be a voluptary to appreciate the result.  I've always wished Brooks could expand their horizons a bit, much like Corbin, the makers of motorcycle saddles.  It is nice to see them expand their range with saddle bags and panniers, reintroduced from days gone by and contemporized a bit.  Along these lines, I'd surely like to see a photo of your saddlebag.  

Sadly, it appears the Brooks saddle cover won't fit my needs.  It doesn't offend, but fails to resonate and I fear the waxed tarpaulin.  I love the expression of Brooks' design philosophy, but I must have confidence in the product and a failure here could end a trip if it meant riding on -- and ruining -- a wet saddle.  Thanks for the cautions, Andre.

Best,

Dan.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 01:11:03 am »
Excellent, Jim! 

Clever of DryRide to show water beaded on the cover, and a powerful sales tool as it shows the thing _working_.  I love the fabric and one-piece design, but not the elastication.  Still, it could do and is a welcome addition to the list.  Thanks!

I find myself leaning toward the JannD.  It appears their elastic is actually a length of replaceable bungee, with cordlock that could be replaced when it ages and might indeed allow tethering to a saddle rail to prevent loss while remaining handy for a quick park in rainy conditions.

Best,

Dan.

Andre Jute

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2011, 12:24:38 am »
I'll take the bait...

Andre, you and I share a similar design aesthetic, and a love for thoughtful, rational design and evident craftsmanship .  I tend to seek out items, components, objects whose designs speak to me and resonate at a core level.  Some things aren't fungible; regardless of price or reputation, saddles differ and there may be no substitute for a favorite model.  The literal seat of knowledge --one's bum -- is the best judge!

...Along these lines, I'd surely like to see a photo of your saddlebag.  

Thanks for the photographs of the Cheeko90, Dan. I have one, though not the deluxe or maybe merely newer model with the light that you show. It's on my Smover full-on Di2 bike -- I leave that cut-down Dura-Ace Di2 rubbish for poor cyclists! -- at http://coolmainpress.com/BICYCLINGsmover.html. (Actual truth: Trek Benelux had a hard time selling the small custom run they made of those because their designer styled them too sporting for the intended market, and I bought it for a bargain -- not precisely cheap, but for what it is -- from a Belgian dealer, and Trek kicked in for the carriage to Ireland as well, and then helped me find components to re-ingineer it into a self-contained fast touring bike.)

I heartily recommend the Cheeko90 for the casual, intermittent, recreational, low mileage cyclist, suchlike. I think most of the people on this board are beyond needing it. If the Cheeko90 has a downside, it is that the materials, while of reasonable quality and very agreeable, are chosen to reflect the intended use; most likely no one in its primary market will wear it out. Mine lasted three years or about 6000km before a split developed, and the faux MBtex was by then appearing a little rubbed. One could reasonably ask for a saddle in that price class to last longer, no matter how comfortable. I must report though that my bum and back liked the Cheeko90 so much, I thought about having it recovered in leather, but went for the triple-sprung Brooks B73 instead as a known higher-quality item. I am not sorry I bought the Cheeko, and not sorry I bought the Brooks either.

As requested, are some photos of my leather and canvas bike luggage. Apologies for having to fetch them yourself but I don't want to try the Thorn web manager's patience with so many large photos. I started with the usual black nylon stuff, which have served me faithfully for years. But the nylon gear had so little wear on it after a decade or longer, I decided I could reasonably use leather without it soon looking tacky, and that leather or vintage canvas would suit my current favorite bike better.

http://www.coolmainpress.com/miscimage/BikeLuggage/Kranichblackbriefcase.jpg

Agu handlebar bag like many people have, Basil Cardiff pannier basket, five buck nylon briefcase with hidden compartment for tools, the last fixed with tiewraps. I buy two of everything, but often use them in combinations. Those briefcases are immensely strong, and each one can take three bottles of wine, so more shopping can be carried in a pair of them than at first appears. A pair the Cardiff baskets carries two cases of wine, plus mucho other groceries.

http://www.coolmainpress.com/miscimage/BikeLuggage/Smallleathertoolbag1lr.jpg

This leather purse worked so well for so long, and still, as a toolbag, I decided leather was viable, especially since my nylon luggage was little worn. If your bike is properly planned from the ground up, the tools can be minimized. That little lady's change purse carries not only the tools for maintenance, including an electronic manometer and gloves, but all the tools necessary to strip the frame totally except for the bottom bracket...

http://www.coolmainpress.com/miscimage/BikeLuggage/honeybags_125k.jpg

The saddle was originally honey, but neatsfoot oil turned it brown. The front bag is an inexpensive woman's leather handbag chosen because the straps would make it versatile as a handlebar bag, racktop bag, saddlebag or medium-sized pannier. The racktop bag shown is a vintage French doctor's gladstone in canvas and leather, given to me by a charming young Frenchwomen when it still looked like I might practice; I found it in a trunk in the loft when I needed bicycle luggage. Held on by its own straps. Note the toolbag hanging on the mixte rail.

http://www.coolmainpress.com/miscimage/BikeLuggage/rackbag3_125k.jpg

Eventually I decided to match the saddle, and to get a bag of better quality than honey one above. Here the bag I decided on, about STG80 at House of Frazer (mine are off the net, one for 99p plus carriage, one for about twenty quid plus carriage, both apparently unused), is used as a rackbag, attached by its own straps. Note the brown leather toolbag is now attached to the Tubus Cosmo stainless rack. (The black German SL system rack -- very nice but now sold to Hebie -- shown elsewhere lost an argument with a Range Rover that returned for a second bite. The Range Rover then lost an argument with my Abus U-lock, which makes a very efficient three pound hammer.)

http://www.coolmainpress.com/miscimage/BikeLuggage/leather_saddlebag_125k.jpg

Here the brown leather bag is used as a saddlebag, still attached by its own straps. It holds rain-jacket and -trousers, wallet, camera, polarizing lenses for my orange or yellow wraparounds, depending on whether it is day or night, phone, food, extra plastic bags. It is surprisingly light for a quality bag, being made of thin leather and lined in silk. I stiffened it on the inside with a ring of the same plastic from which the nylon briefcase above is made; so it doesn't flop even when empty; the stiffener also serves to partition wet gear from camera, wallet, etc.

I'm looking for some suitable brown leather to make matching shoe protectors for the mixte rails, which are currently honey leather, from Swedish furniture I broke up to get the laminated wood for making prototype geriatric bikes.

Andre Jute
Have bag, will bring the picnic.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2011, 04:16:30 am »
Andre Jute:  You, Sir, are the definition of Cool.

The rest of us are mere pretenders. 

Last word, 'nuff said. Tribute. 

-  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -

About the saddle cover, I remain...frustrated.  I purchased the JandD today, having convinced myself it would do.  Well, it does not, in some ways.  It is a nice cover, but it also -- like many of its brethren -- fits poorly and with a number of unattractive wrinkles.  I suppose this is the price of a one-piece cover made of inelastic fabric and rationalized thus, I can reach contentment.  After all, I won't be riding on it and the primary goal is to provide a waterproof cover when the bike is parked.

The JandD avoids elastic, which is also a plus, as my environment quickly degrades elastic to a powdered bit of cloth matrix, rendering those covers non-protective and loss prone.  Instead, it uses a length of braided nylon cord and not shock cord or bungee as indicated in some ad copy.  That is okay, but I wish it drew up more smoothly.  It does draw from the back, which is a plus, and it does provide adequate coverage with no gaps and the inside is smoothly finished.

The problem relates to storage, self- or otherwise.  The package instructions indicate the cover can be rolled into a sort of tube and secured with the included, captive velcro to the underside of the saddle's rails, ahead of the seatpost.  This worked twice before the velcro began to lose its grip and released itself, fluttering to the ground.  The idea, apparently, is to fold the rolled cover into thirds before securing it, but this leaves a sharp edge protruding on either side of the saddle nose, ready to snag my lycra shorts and tights.  There is no way to secure it in the rear, or apparently atop my new Ortlieb Medium saddle bag (I do wish Ortlieb made saddle covers...or would make a try at it).  The Ortlieb saddlebag has two d-rings, crying for a purpose, but apparently they won't hold the saddle cover, since the velcro is oriented the wrong way.  I tried poking the whole of the roll lengthwise in the space between the saddle rails, but then there was no way to secure it against loss, and I am concerned about it dampening the underside of the saddle if it is stored while still wet, as will surely happen from time to time.

It is just possible I can exchange it for another model at the LBS, but I can't count on that.  If they won't offer an exchang, then I may try to replace the velcro with some flat-slim Fastex buckles and secure it that way.

Ideas?  Finding the ideal waterproof saddle cover is a complexicated business!

Best,

Dan.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2011, 06:14:59 am »
Good news; the JandD will store successfully if I roll it, then fold it in thirds widthwise and use the attached velcro to affix it to the rear upright of the saddle rail.  It is out of the way, handy, won't snag my pants and won't wet the underside of the saddle (see attached pic).  The velcro doesn't seem too strong, so I may rev up the ol' sewing machine and replace it with a bit of lightweight grosgrain ribbon webbing and a Fastex buckle of the type sometimes used on watchbands.  That will make a positive mechanical connection and prevent accidental loss.

Suggestions welcome!

Best,

Dan.

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2011, 08:01:21 pm »
Dan

Recently received a wonderful new Brooks B17 Select saddle which came with the new Brooks waterproof saddle cover (without logo - good!). So far its doing well and seems better than the previous incarnation. Worth a second try?

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2011, 08:21:07 pm »
Hi StuntPilot,

Like your avatar; it is a Raven Tour?  Even has the little Thorn 105mm Accessory Bar on it.  Nice.

...Worth a second try?

It just might be!  As you've read above, I got the JandD, and it is okay.  Still not quite what I was looking for, but much closer since I removed the velcro and replaced it with some nylon grosgrain ribbon and a center-lock plastic snap-buckle.  I also replaced the drawcord and cordlock with smaller items and in the end, might as well have started from scratch.  The sewing machine I am using is not a good one (good by brand and reputation, execrable by example), so that adds frustration to what should have been a 10-minute job.

Good points:

1) Really waterproof.

2) Doesn't blow off, thanks to the cord and cordlock.

3) Fits fairly snugly so there aren't large pockets to catch water (when it is parked; I won't be riding on it, as I protect the saddle then).

Not-so-great:

1) A hassle to deploy and moreso to put away.  The thing has to be folded into thirds lengthwise, then rolled from the small end.  The same grosgrain ribbon that keeps it rolled is also what attaches it to the saddle rails (my fault).  The problem is, when heavy rain is sheeting down, I want to get off the bike and get the saddle covered as soon as possible.  Similarly, if it is still raining when I want to go, I have to lean over the saddle to keep it reasonably dry while I do the rolly-uppy thing, and that impedes a quick takeoff and the saddle still gets a little dampened.

2) The cords don't draw up too easily.  I'm using a fine nylon cord which works far better than what came with the cover, and the smaller cordlock keeps the package small.  In this respect, an elastic cord or tape would be easier if it actually stayed secure in high winds, which have caused the loss of past elasticated covers.  There is another issue, and that is elastic ain't what it usta be; it seems to degrade quickly now and lose its stretch, unlike the stuff that was made in the past (anyone notice rubber bands aren't the same, either?  The kind used for newspaper delivery seem to be made of sterner stuff, but where to get 'em?  Some foreign orders have come through with little red plasticky "rubber" bands and they seem to last forever. Others look the same, but dissolve into red lumpy dye stains that resemble dead angle worms and vulcanize themselves onto whatever they were supposed to secure).

Dan's Mark II attempt will involve a little stuff sack for the cover so I can just wad it in and pull it out.  If I attached the little sack to the saddle rails like I have the present Dan-modded JandD, then it will take up no more room and will allow for speedy deployment and storage.  A pity I wasn't smart enough to think of that to start with.

I'm really pleased to hear the Brooks is working out well for you, and I think I will take another look at it.  No logo?  Great!  Sounds like a redesign over what I've seen previously; I'll head down to the LBS this afternoon to check it out.  Thanks much!

Best,

Dan.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 09:15:44 pm by Danneaux »

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2011, 08:48:13 pm »
Hi Danneaux

Yes, that the avatar is of the bike - the image from eBay where I bought it second-hand from SJS Cycles. Two years old but like new ... one happy camper here! Its a thing of engineering wonder!

I did conclude that the JandD was the best saddle cover option till I found out the B17 Select came with a saddle cover. It has elastic to secure it to the seat so we will see how that stands up to the Scottish wetness! Its probably one of the best places here to test the cover based on the recent (normal!) rain and wind we have been having. No danger of UV damage however!!! Will update the post later with my findings!

It is not a perfect fit but I don't plan cycling with it on the saddle. I have a feeling that riding on it may crack the rubber waterproof membrane - time will tell, and may even pose the question to Brooks to see if they have any comment or customer feedback. It is however a great improvement on the previous Brooks cover. Stows well under the saddle too using the velcro strap.

Happy New Year Cycling!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 08:55:37 pm by StuntPilot »

Schornsteinfeger

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2011, 06:42:48 pm »
Here's a humble contribution.
In the hair-care shelves of most French supermarkets, shower caps can usually be found, demurely awaiting eligible purchasers. They come in a glamourous variety of pastel colours, sometimes sporting polka-dots or hearts. The best ones have lace around the elastic. They cost about €2 each.
I find that they cover up my bike saddle more effectively than the plastic bags which always blow away; the pastel colour facilitates spotting my steed in the bike park; they tend to disintegrate or disappear after a month or two, but are cheap and easy to replace. These kitsch little accessories may even contribute to deterring thieves.