Author Topic: What tire bag/sock to carry spare Dureme?  (Read 3702 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
What tire bag/sock to carry spare Dureme?
« on: October 24, 2011, 01:25:45 am »
Hi All,

I am used to carrying a spare folding tire with me on extended tours.  In the past, I used a Cannondale Cordura nylon tire sock (circa 1982) to carry 1-2 spare 27"/700C tires. Sometimes I'd even carry a couple of these tire socks in goathead thorn/puncturevine country, each full 'o tires and some additional spare tubes and patch kits.

Now, I have a Sherpa and need something that will allow me to carry (at least 1) 26x2.0 Schwalbe Dureme folding tire.  It would be nice if the same sack could also carry a spare tube or two and another couple patch kits.  For really poor conditions/extended back-of-beyond tours, I'd seriously consider carrying a second bag as well, and toss in a pair of Mr. Tuffy liners for thorn country.

I am having trouble finding a suitable tire sock (as we called them when we carried spare sew-ups)/bag that is long enough x wide enough x thick enough to fit the folding Duremes.  Most of the models I've seen on the market, for example,  http://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FTBII  are long enough, but not wide enough or thick enough.

The folding Dureme that arrived in the mail yesterday measures 24cm long x 12.5cm wide x 8cm thick (when squished together).  In inches, this is roughly 9.5"x5"x3".

Any recommendations before I order up the Cordura fabric and break out the sewing machine?  Would a smallish, lightweight dry sack do the job? What do others do?  How do _you_ carry your folding spares so they are safe from direct abrasion, wear, and general mischief when traveling on terrible roads away from any possible resupply?  I used to secure mine to the tops of my panniers, but have also carried them inside when I have room.  My rack-top dry sack snuggles under the saddle, so there is only room under the saddle for a small sack with spare tube, a couple patch kits, mini-pump. tire pressure gauge, tire levers, and maybe a multi-tool, depending on size.  Other tools reside in their own sack deep within the panniers for more major repairs and maintenance at camp.

Thanks in advance,

Dan.

julk

Re: What tire bag/sock to carry spare Dureme?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 04:42:50 pm »
Dan,
I do not carry a spare tyre, but I use a Carradice Zipped Roll to carry valuables (small camera) and the like to keep them safe and handy.
I have slung it under the handlebars before now like a small handlebar bag, it's latest position is under the top tube nestling up against the headtube. I use velcro straps in place of the leather ones and have repositioned the center strap patch to one end for fastening to the headtube
In this position it touches a drink bottle, just misses my knees, is nicely protected and the contents are handy when I stop.

Alternatively you could fabricate a custom frame bag if the idea is attractive...
Julian.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 04:53:14 pm »
Thanks, Julian, for the idea of a Carradice Zipped Roll; this is well worth my exploring further.  I can still recall the days of frame bags, and yours sounds as if it might function that way in its present location.  I may well end up spending some time at the sewing machine, but knowing this sort of design works for you in practice gives me quite a head start.

Thanks again!  Any other ideas, Forum members?

Best,

Dan.

pdamm

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 03:24:01 am »
Dan

On the basis that ozone is what deteriorates the rubber in tyres and tubes I have mine all packaged up in plastic sheet.  I use the same sort of stuff that builders use to seal concrete, it is a lot tougher than shopping bag plastic.  The packaging is not quite air tight but nearly.  I just roll my folding tyre up as tight as it can easily go then wrap it in plastic.  Tubes get the same treatment and they all sit around in a pannier until I need them.

Peter

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 04:08:58 am »
Peter,

This is also an excellent idea, and I think wrapping the tire and tube in plastic would be a huge advantage no matter what outer wrapper is used.  Thinking about it, I wonder if the "freezer-grade" of zip-lock ("ZipLok") slide-snap closure bags might just do the trick, provided I got all the air squeezed out first.  They are a bit thicker and tougher than the usual sandwich bags, and might be worth a try.  Thinking further, I'm guessing the plastic inner wrapper would not only shield the rubber from ozone, it would also reduce friction and rubbing...the cause of one recently damaged spare tube for me.

Man, I'd hate to lose a folding Dureme to poor storage.  They aren't cheap, but the worst thing would be to find they had rotted just when one needed them most, and it could realistically be months or years before the tour spares are needed in the field.

I believe I will also make a velcro cinch-tie to gently compress the tires and tubes "thickwise" to minimize space requirements.  Perhaps a urethane-coated lightweight nylon dry-sack would make a suitable cover over the plastic?

Thanks!  Others?

Best,

Dan.

macspud

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 09:49:23 am »
Dan,
Wow, I'd never heard of ozone affecting rubber, so I googled it, right enough. You learn something new every day eh. Anyway I'd say that UV would be at least as important to protect the tyre from, so make sure what ever fabric the bag is made from blocks the UV properly too.
Regards,
Iain.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 02:22:37 am »
Hi Iain,

<nods>  Yes, ozone can really do in a set of tires and tubes...and pretty much all rubber, over even a short time.  I purchased my tandem used from a fellow who had taken to storing it in a small laundry room after moving to a dwelling too small to allow keeping the bike.  It was parked next to an upright freezer and an electric clothes dryer.  Both ran pretty much all the time.  The owner had installed new tires prior to advertising the tandem for sale, and within two weeks in the enclosed space, the sides of the tires next to the appliances had rotted nearly through.  The sidewalls and treads looked as if they had withstood years of sun exposure and drying conditions; even the (Schrader) valve stems on that side had cracks.  Meanwhile, the other side looked nearly new.  I think there were several factors -- small, enclosed space, ozone-producing electric motors, and exhaust fans pushing that ozone right at the tires of the bike leaning against the appliances.

For what it is worth, bicycle racks mounted on automobile bumpers can subject tires to an awful lot of hot exhaust if one isn't careful about placing the bike carefully.

As for the my new Schwalbe tires and tubes, they now reside in ZipLok freezer bags with the air squeezed out till I figure out a proper container for touring to block sunlight and prevent abrasion.  Any ideas for a larger than usual tire sock/bag are still most welcome!

Best,

Dan.