Author Topic: Bar Bag question  (Read 3129 times)

Paulson

• My Blog
Bar Bag question
« on: March 16, 2010, 10:42:11 pm »
Hi all,

I have drop bars and Sora levers/shifters.  These have hidden brake cables (taped to handlebars) but the gear cables come out of the hoods at right angles and turn inwards.

Therefore, there seems to be a problem in terms of fitting a bar bag (prob a super C) as the cables will foul this area, as it were.

Is this a problem, or is there a way round it?

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Bar Bag question
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 02:41:36 am »
An orphaned query with no response; can't have that!

Though this thread is over a year old, a friend asked me the same just the other day; mounting his handlebar bag (an Ortlieb Ultimate 5 medium) on a Thorn 105mm Accessory T-bar did the trick for him.  It took a bit of fiddling, but by placing the T-bar above the first spacer atop the upper headset cup, the top lid of the HB bag was able to sit below the cable-exit for his Sora levers.  He rides a fairly large frame (another brand) with his Sora "brifters" mounted fairly high on the 'bars, so this might not be possible on a small frame with more limited vertical clearance.  He also prefers his HB bag to ride dead level, and this aids clearance as well.  He does have to bother just a bit with the lid to clear the loop of cable housing, but it isn't much hassle and allows for a HB bag, so he's happy.

This solution beat the other one we were pondering, which involved using a spare set of v-brake "noodles" to re-route the Sora cable where they left the lever.  We didn't pursue the matter, but concluded extra friction there might well add friction and affect the indexing.  I have seen it done by others, however.

Best,

Dan.