Author Topic: Thorn serials registry -- good, bad, or even possible?  (Read 43183 times)

RST Scout

• Janet
Re: Thorn serials registry -- good, bad, or even possible?
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2017, 10:00:33 pm »
Janet,

The idea has gone nowhere since I first proposed it about 5.5 years ago, so it seems unlikely to take off now.

Rohloff keeps a serials registry (little orange card you send into them) so the basic idea can and does work. If your registered hub is stolen, you notify Rohloff and they will snag it when/if it comes in for factory service.

Best,

Dan.

What a shame its not a goer but thanks for the tip about the Rohloff. I always register everything, washing machines, cameras etc. so will be sure to register with them. Shame we can't tag bikes with a chip like you dogs.

Janet
Scout & Bettina's slave!

lewis noble

« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2017, 10:38:04 pm »
Hello Janet - I think it is possible to chip a bike - Datatag do a product whereby a chip can be secured into the inside of the frame - not always easy to find an accessible location! - with stickers that identify and register the bike.

I have used them in the past, always seemed a good idea.  The latest datatag product looks different, the I D labels seem less obtrusive, which is good in one sense on an expensive frame but is it as much of a deterrent??

Datatag available from SJSC.

I put datatag stickers on my daughter's 'university' bike - after her first one, a new purchase Ridgeback, was stolen.  It was replaced by a 30 yr old Norco salvaged from a friend's cellar - a very basic 5 speed bike but suits her very well. Despite it's low value, I put datatag stickers all over it (I bought 2 or 3 packs discounted) and also made a label saying - All components chipped - which I zip-tied onto her rack.  So far, so good - not been stolen! - but how much that helped I don't know.

I think chipping is worth looking at.

Lewis

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2017, 06:06:37 pm »
Cheers, Lewis. I'll check it out.

Janet
Scout & Bettina's slave!

IanW

« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2017, 12:23:18 am »
Hi Janet,

Both my RST and my spouse' RST are Datatagged.

I chose to buy motorcycle versions of the Datatag kits
which meant that each bike has no-less than 4 RFID transponders (frame, forks, Rohloff hub and SON hub)
the kits also included "data dots" which are basically tiny microdots in clear glue, so everything else on the bike is marked too.

I have also registered both RSTs with https://www.bikeregister.com and http://www.bikeshepherd.org/
(I keep meaning to register with https://www.immobilise.com/ too. Maybe this post will finally remind me to get round to this)

We also keep up to date photos of our bikes on our mobile phones to make it easy to submit a lost / stolen report should the worst happen.
But we both do always use "2 good locks" (one being an Axa Victory dutch-style ring-lock)

Oh and wheels and stem-cap secured with Pitlocks and many of the standard allen-key bolts replaced by security hex bolts too.

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2017, 06:52:32 pm »
Thanks for that Ian. I'll have a look at your suggestions.

Janet
Scout & Bettina's slave!

energyman

« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2017, 07:03:56 pm »
All our family bikes are registered with Immobilise.com
The local police station sells the tags for bikes at 2/3rds off.
Come to think of it I may swallow one so if I ever get totally lost someone will find me...................

RichardFM

« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2019, 09:28:53 pm »
If you are a member of Cycling UK then you can get 15% of at Bike Register

energyman

« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2019, 02:41:46 pm »
All our family bikes are registered with Immobilise.com
The local police station sells the tags for bikes at 2/3rds off.
Come to think of it I may swallow one so if I ever get totally lost someone will find me...................

Update :
Well they did but no longer.