Author Topic: Which bar ends?  (Read 9839 times)

ahconway

Which bar ends?
« on: October 29, 2004, 09:11:58 pm »
On the Raven AT I ordered recently (which I'm optimistically hoping to see before Xmas!), I specified the Thorn MK2 comfort bars with Thorn Carbon Bar Ends.

I'm starting to have second thoughts about the bar ends - they felt lovely when I held them in the shop, but they almost seem too good a fit for my hands. They're exactly as long as my palms are wide, so there seems to be precisely one way to grip them. I've opted for having them at the end of the bars instead of inside the brake levers (as seems to be the fashion now, at SJSC, anyway) because I plan to use them when climbing and thrashing about.

I'm just wondering if, say, I'm wearing winter gloves, will the carbon bar ends feel too small? Will I be wishing for a more substantial thing to grab on to? I'm thinking about something along the lines of the X-Lite Enduro (see http://www.x-lite.com/enduroski.html).

Any ideas for me?

Thanks!

joatmon

Re: Which bar ends?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2005, 09:09:25 am »
I had the same thoughts when I tried them at the "cycle show in the cow shed" I've been using Onza raw 110's for years and would recommend them to anyone. (if there still available)

graham

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2005, 08:34:20 pm »
quote:
I've opted for having them at the end of the bars instead of inside the brake levers (as seems to be the fashion now, at SJSC, anyway) because I plan to use them when climbing and thrashing about.

I'd suggest that unless you intend to spend the majority of the time climbing and thrashing about, try experimenting with them inboard.
I ride about 90% of the time on the bar ends, only using the handlebars for braking, changing gear and - climbing.

When mounted inboard you can rotate your hand around the grip slightly which changes the angle of your elbow and shoulder. You can ride with your thumb laid down the length of the grip , which is slightly less secure but OK on the flat and in a fairly straight line, and changes the way the muscles in your hand work. You can also rest your palms on the handlebars and hook your thumbs over the bar ends. My Raven Tour came with extra bits of foam filling the gaps between the bar endsand the brake levers, which was nice.

taffyscouser

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2005, 06:50:34 pm »
I have the Thorn carbons and they are the most uncomfy bar ends I have ever used. The grip is good but the hard edge of the design at the bar joint just digs into the outer part of my palm. I have them outboard on straight bars. If anyone wants to make me an offer they are yours. They are unmarked and ready to go. I am going to put the Onzas off the mountian bike on there.

ANDY