Technical > Luggage

Do I take a lock on a world tour??

<< < (2/11) > >>

Sinnerman:
Thanks for the replies.  It is clearly one of those 'many ways to skin a rabbit' scenarios and I guess I will just have to find my own way. 

I think I am warming towards the idea of getting cable locks for the panniers, pitlocks for both wheels and then one good lock for the frame.  So my next question is which lock would you take (assuming you would take one)??

In London I used one of those thick cable locks that I wore around my waist.  It was a good length and seemed pretty sturdy.  Not sure what would be best for this trip though.

Any advice appreciated.

Tom

sbseven:
I've found the most flexible for a long tour and something that has reasonable weight (approx 500g) and security is a 7ft/2m 10mm diameter Kryptonite Cable and a good combination padlock. The long length cable normally allows you to lock the bike to something immovable and this will be enough to deter all but the equipped thief (who will steal your bike whatever lock you use).

E.g.:
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/kryptonite-kryptoflex-cable-7ft-length-22-metres-requires-padlock-prod15197/
-- and --
http://www.saundersonsecurity.co.uk/acatalog/Master_Lock_Combination_51mm_OS_ML_175_51.html

Shaun

p.s. Personally, I wouldn't bother with pannier locks or various Pitlocks for a world tour. The pannier is just as likely to be "gutted" with a knife and have it's contents investigated and taken that way and the chances of a thief specifically wanting to target a particular wheel / hub / saddle / stem / brakes / lights etc. is probably remote. Also with the Pitlocks, you'll probably just end up defeating yourself at some point when you lose the key!

Cambirder:
Assuming you have the bike insured, and want your insurer to pay out in the event of theft then a lightweight lock is not going to be enough, for an expensive tourer any insurer will insist on a gold rated solid secure lock such as the Abus Granite X-plus 54.

http://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;navigation=1;product=4373;page=1;menu=1000,5,74;mid=0;pgc=0

slim:
Shaun I went through the same process while waiting for my Nomad and ended up buying an Arbus Granite X-54 .... . It's undoubtedly solid and secure, but it's also seriously big weighing in at 1.45Kg sans bracket. The geometry of the Nomad also presents a challenge when attempting to find a place to attach the bracket.  In turn that presents another challenge - "where to put the Arbus when your are riding?" I wrestled with that one for some time before finally deciding to leave it at home. It's inevitably destined for Ebay and I suspect the buyer will use it on a motorbike.

Not wishing to be contrary, but I find Pitlocks to be brilliant, but as mentioned above the consequences of losing the essential bits are frightening.

sbseven:

--- Quote from: Cambirder on August 22, 2011, 11:21:00 pm ---Assuming you have the bike insured, and want your insurer to pay out in the event of theft then a lightweight lock is not going to be enough, for an expensive tourer any insurer will insist on a gold rated solid secure lock such as the Abus Granite X-plus 54.

--- End quote ---

Good luck trying to get an expensive tourer insured for (say) a two year world tour. I think it will be quite costly, if it's even possible.

In the UK, specific bike insurance policies (Cycleguard, Cyclecover etc.) will cost you around 8-10% of bike value per annum and that cover won't include two years of world travel as standard. (Bikes can often be included on a household contents insurance for a lot less, but I'd expect they would baulk at covering this situation). Even if you do find reasonable insurance and have your Abus Granite X-plus 54 to satisfy the policy conditions, you'll still need to find a convenient railing everytime you want to lock your bike up and leave it unattended. IMO, it's just not practical.

For a world tour, I'd just buy a reasonable, flexible lock deterrent, forget the cycle insurance and play the odds...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version